Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, and Ram
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2018, 04:52 PM

1,035 posts, read 1,396,905 times

Advertisements

I just looked at a ‘99 grand Cherokee, 215,000 miles. Seemed to drive fine. 4WD works. New brakes all the way around. New exhaust. Some rust on the driver’s side rear fender. Tires are so so. Oil and tranny fluid are clean. Im just scared of the high miles. You guys that know Jeeps would you consider it given the miles or walk away?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2018, 06:27 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,909,338 times
I wouldn't want the thing if it had 115,000 miles on it. My sister has a 2000 Grand Cherokee. Talk about a money pit! Her's hasn't even hit 100,000 mile yet. Unless you just CRAVE a Cherokee, look for a completely different brand. Jeeps are not known for reliability and haven't been in decades.

Old 04-18-2018, 04:23 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,939,336 times
My 2011 Grand Cherokee is still running strong at $110k miles.
It’s one of the most trouble free cars I’ve ever owned. I don’t know much about the previous generations.

Old 04-18-2018, 07:03 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
My 2011 Grand Cherokee is still running strong at $110k miles.
It’s one of the most trouble free cars I’ve ever owned. I don’t know much about the previous generations.
I would not buy an older Jeep or Chrysler product with over 90,000 miles. I hope yours goes another 100,000 trouble free, maybe they are better now, but after my experience with a $3,400 transmission rebuild at 90,000 and many other issues on a 2002 Jeep we had, with the same transmission. That '99 has to be on borrowed time if not already rebuilt.

Old 04-18-2018, 02:52 PM

6,009 posts, read 6,659,943 times
The 4.0L that Jeep made during those years is pretty reliable and cheap to work on. I've seen plenty of them go well into the 270k mile mark without a rebuild. Biggest thing to remember is that they don't like anything other than OEM parts. But no engine is trouble free and this one is no exception.

There are some small issues with the engine to be aware of and most all are centered around sensors:

1. Upstream O2 sensor failure - Use NTK only as that is what came on it. It doesn't like aftermarkets like Bosch or any other brand.
2. Coil rail failure - Again, use a factory replacement. They don't like cheap ones.
3. Spark plugs - They only like specific plugs... make sure to use the correct ones.
4. Cam sensor failure - They can fail. Easy to swap.
5. Valve cover gasket failure - Replace with the blue Felpro, torque to spec, and roll on.

None of these are expensive fixes, but they are potential issues. My 02 Jeep TJ has 125k miles on it and aside from the items I listed above it has been trouble free. I would jump in it and go anywhere. It also has the 4 speed automatic. Keep the fluid changed on time and ONLY use ATF+4 trans fluid and it will last.

I've heard that the GC's had some electrical gremlins (seems to be a Chrysler thing) so be aware of that possibility.

Old 04-19-2018, 12:18 PM

2,266 posts, read 3,712,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
The 4.0L that Jeep made during those years is pretty reliable and cheap to work on. I've seen plenty of them go well into the 270k mile mark without a rebuild. Biggest thing to remember is that they don't like anything other than OEM parts. But no engine is trouble free and this one is no exception.

There are some small issues with the engine to be aware of and most all are centered around sensors:

1. Upstream O2 sensor failure - Use NTK only as that is what came on it. It doesn't like aftermarkets like Bosch or any other brand.
2. Coil rail failure - Again, use a factory replacement. They don't like cheap ones.
3. Spark plugs - They only like specific plugs... make sure to use the correct ones.
4. Cam sensor failure - They can fail. Easy to swap.
5. Valve cover gasket failure - Replace with the blue Felpro, torque to spec, and roll on.

None of these are expensive fixes, but they are potential issues. My 02 Jeep TJ has 125k miles on it and aside from the items I listed above it has been trouble free. I would jump in it and go anywhere. It also has the 4 speed automatic. Keep the fluid changed on time and ONLY use ATF+4 trans fluid and it will last.

I've heard that the GC's had some electrical gremlins (seems to be a Chrysler thing) so be aware of that possibility.
I had a few issues with my old 4.0L, but it was easy to work on myself. New valve cover gasket, coil pack and an alternator. Aside from the coil pack, nothing came from the dealer. I replaced the plugs once while I had it, used Bosch platinum plugs. Ran like a champ.

Old 04-19-2018, 01:42 PM

6,009 posts, read 6,659,943 times
You were lucky then.... very easy to research. They're good engines, but finicky with aftermarket parts.

Old 05-14-2018, 04:18 AM

3,211 posts, read 2,240,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supertrucker212 View Post
I just looked at a ‘99 grand Cherokee, 215,000 miles. Seemed to drive fine. 4WD works. New brakes all the way around. New exhaust. Some rust on the driver’s side rear fender. Tires are so so. Oil and tranny fluid are clean. Im just scared of the high miles. You guys that know Jeeps would you consider it given the miles or walk away?
The miles would scare me unless I got a real screaming bargain on it. My wife's best friend had a GC that she put 300K miles on it and she said it's the best car she's ever owned. My wife took her advice and bought a 2017 and she's already racked up 25K miles and so far flawless.

Old 05-14-2018, 06:13 AM

17,263 posts, read 21,998,333 times
Trannys are a weak spot for sure. The first Cherokee I owned had a slipping tranny and I traded it

Old 07-25-2018, 06:56 PM

669 posts, read 581,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Trannys are a weak spot for sure. The first Cherokee I owned had a slipping tranny and I traded it
A friend of mine had a 2016..the transmission went out at 6,000 miles...never ran right after it was fixed or replaced..they traded it in for the Acura RDX. I looked at the 2019 Jeep Cherokee today. Your post makes me rethink even buying it now......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, and Ram