Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, and Ram
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 01:09 AM

2,080 posts, read 6,895,495 times

Advertisements

With the resignation of Wagoner, and the COO promoted to CEO, GM has 60 days to give the White House a viable plan or else.

Obama conditions bailout funds for automakers - Yahoo! Finance (http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Obama-conditions-bailout-apf-14778215.html - broken link)

Even if they go for bankruptcy, will that help?

The administration told CHX to go with the merger with FIAT within 30 days b/c they will not get anymore bailout!

Discuss!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2009, 01:10 AM

657 posts, read 1,594,615 times
Chrysler is gone... this was expected. GM, I don't know what to say about them, except hope for the best

Old 03-30-2009, 04:43 AM

140 posts, read 540,690 times
GM - Get Real - What have you done for the last 3 months let alone the last 20 years!!!!!

Cut product lines to Chevy and maybe Cadillac - eliminate 2/3 of the dealers

Slash wages - union and management - benefits and absurd retirement benefits!

If you don't do this the BANKRUPTCY judge will.

Most importantly - start designing cars people WANT TO BUY!

Even Obama is going to cut off cash flow.

Chrysler - maybe bring back the Challenger will save you - LOL!

I feel for the residents of Detroit - maybe Toyota will reopen the factories.

Old 03-30-2009, 07:29 AM

28,875 posts, read 14,232,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomerbiker View Post
GM - Get Real - What have you done for the last 3 months let alone the last 20 years!!!!!

Even Obama is going to cut off cash flow.

Chrysler - maybe bring back the Challenger will save you - LOL!

They did... but rode that train too long.

But let me ask you, what do people want to buy ?!?!?

I for one would love a new G8 , 300 SRT8, Challenger SRT8, Dodge Ram dually with a Cummins, or a new Lincoln. The big three have some of the best styling and performance out there right now. Now if I only had a job maybe I could purchase one of these. I'll be okay though... "change" is coming !!!

Old 03-30-2009, 08:03 AM

10,165 posts, read 20,698,179 times
I'm not sentimental when it comes to car brands. These makers have screwed the American consumer for decades with inferior products. They had over two decades to learn from the Japanese auto makers and they ignored all the warning signs. There is no way you can continue to make cars held together with spit while foreign brands gain popularity with reliable vehicles. I feel for the workers who will lose jobs as a result, but hopefully this will open up more plants for Japanese production or perhaps introduce new American brands that know how to do it right.

Old 03-30-2009, 08:29 AM

1,765 posts, read 7,302,128 times
I think they'll be around, just not all in one piece. They broke their own system and rode it to the ground.

Edit: I think they are making cars people want, it's just that someone else is doing it better and managing to make a profit. For examples, look how big Toyota made the Corolla and how big the Civic got, and then look at the Chevy Malibu. The cars are about the same thing, and you can extend that comparison to small SUVs, etc. Our guys slept while the Japanese walked right up to the middle of the road market and took it away by making better cars (not perfect, not less expensive, just better).

Old 03-30-2009, 08:31 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,297,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomerbiker View Post

Buick is the #1 selling car brand in China, a huge growing market. Good thing you're not CEO!

Quote:

It's now illegal to throw out union contracts in bankruptcy court.

Quote:
Really, you think people don't want to buy GM made vechicles? My neighborhood is full of them and I live in the south, not in MI.

Quote:
Toyotas sales have declined quickly as well, it's not just the American companies. 20 years ago Toyotas rusted in the first few years, I had a Prelude that was a complete rust bucket. It takes time to change reputations, like I said 20 years ago Japanese cars were horrendous and now they are at the top. The new Chevy models look nice (Malibu for example) and time will tell how they hold up. Let's hope they really have improved quality, their success depends on it.

Old 03-30-2009, 09:03 AM

7,874 posts, read 14,101,063 times
GM's got the upper hand because they're publically held - if Chrysler goes down, it's just a bunch of fat cats who take it in the crotch. Fiat's got leverage now, don't they?

Old 03-30-2009, 09:18 AM

2,541 posts, read 5,823,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Buick is the #1 selling car brand in China, a huge growing market. Good thing you're not CEO!
Buick outsells China's own cars? There were 9 million cars produced in China in 2008. How many Buicks were sold?

Volkswagen sold more cars in China in 2005 than all of GM, 430,600 to 346,697.

Automobile industry in China - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-30-2009, 09:32 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,297,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seamusnh View Post
Buick outsells China's own cars? There were 9 million cars produced in China in 2008. How many Buicks were sold?

Volkswagen sold more cars in China in 2005 than all of GM, 430,600 to 346,697.

Automobile industry in China - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Crazy huh?

Buick bucks the trend

GM brand is No. 1 car seller in China, thanks to smart marketing

That was from 2006, I found an article from 2009 that had their sales decline, not sure if it's still #1 or not, but still pretty incredible showing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, and Ram