Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, and Ram
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2009, 11:50 PM

656 posts, read 2,734,099 times

Advertisements

All new 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Do you think it is better looking than the old one ?
http://www.freep.com/article/20090408/BUSINESS01/904080330/Grand+Cherokee+ready+for+debut (broken link)

I think it is...problem is will Chryler be around to build it ?

2011 version

http://image.motortrend.com/f/miscel...front-view.jpg

http://image.motortrend.com/f/miscel...-rear-view.jpg

http://image.motortrend.com/f/miscel...e-interior.jpg

Old version

http://sleeplessagain.net/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/jeep_grand_cherokee.jpg (broken link)
http://sleeplessagain.net/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/jeep_grand_cherokee.jpg (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2009, 01:26 AM

7,305 posts, read 28,090,528 times
Personally, I like the 2011 alot better. I like it alot, but I think it will take typical Jeep owners awhile to get used to those taillights.... thats a big change for Jeep.

I only would recommend that they extend back the cargo area windows some... this seems to be a common thing with modern SUVs... alot seem to cut these windows too short, which is uncalled for... not only does it make the vehicle seem smaller, but it also makes rear visibility worse than it could be if they windows were extended further back to the "D" pillars. Toyota did this on the gen 1 Highlander.

Could be worse though... some later SUV models have those "upcurving" cargo area windows, which I think are hideous. (latest Toyota Rav4, Nissan Murano, etc). Chevy Traverse as well, but not as pronounced as the others.

Is this 2011 Jeep available in a 3-seat version? I didnt notice in the photos.

If not, it would also be neat if they offered this in an extended wheelbase model and offered a 3rd seat.

Old 04-19-2009, 07:37 AM

1,416 posts, read 4,415,294 times
The interior appears to be head-and-shoulders better in both quality and style than the current version. Let's hope the production version can keep the prototype's promise! And that Chrysler and Fiat can make it happen!

Old 04-19-2009, 09:02 AM

366 posts, read 1,436,102 times
I don't like the 2011 version, what were they thinking with that exterior?!?!?

Old 04-19-2009, 09:26 AM

3,961 posts, read 10,958,591 times
i think they are trying to move away from the "SUV" image that was getting slammed; and more into the car-based rides that have become more popular.
But there are certain SUV's like the Jeep, the 4-runner, etc that sell well as "truck based 4wd" vehicles. Too much of a change may turn off those buyers.

Old 04-19-2009, 10:42 AM

12,082 posts, read 38,699,467 times
Jeep has been castrated by Chrysler ownership. Might as well let the name die and just produce their usual version of city cruisers and drop the pretense that they are still making "Trail worthy/tested" vehicles. Jeep hasn't been "Jeep" in a LONG time.

Old 04-19-2009, 11:15 AM

1,959 posts, read 4,640,750 times
Heck, somebody call Acura, 'cause if you remove the label you could swear you're buying an RDX. The resemblance is ridiculous. Count me in on the jeep crowd that doesn't like the new exterior. Personally, as an XJ driver, the discontinuation of the XJ marked the death of the Jeep heritage. The grand cherokee will probably be my replacement vehicle since it'll be a cold day in he11 before I drive a liberty and the wrangler is overpriced and impractical for a daily driver, but by then the only viable options mileage-wise will be a late model WK. I personally like the WJ style and would have loved for them to retain the stiffer ride provided by the solid axles, but as has been noted earlier, jeeps are dead heritage wise.

The 2011 exterior on the back looks like a freggin' Hyundai Santa Fe, the sides resemble an early generation Lexus 300 series, 'nuff said. If I wanted a cross-over experience I'd start making my footwear out of hemp and drive a subaru, and get better gas mileage in the process. If you like an RDX, buy an RDX, jeeps are supposed to be boxy, stiff ride, high clearance, and not afraid to get driven to the mall a little dirty and dented. Thumbs down on the 2011 model...heck I may just **** off the wife and re-powetrain the '00 XJ and take the kids I don't even yet have to their high school graduation....maybe by then they'll kill the liberty, a boy can dream....

Old 04-19-2009, 12:37 PM

12,082 posts, read 38,699,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hindsight2020 View Post
Thumbs down on the 2011 model...heck I may just **** off the wife and re-powetrain the '00 XJ and take the kids I don't even yet have to their high school graduation....maybe by then they'll kill the liberty, a boy can dream....
I still have my 78 CJ-5 and am not about to get rid of it for anything. I have re-powered it, and swapped the rust body for a sweet replacement body and now am set for a LONG time. (Been 20 years on the body and motor so far and still counting.)

Old 04-19-2009, 03:14 PM

4,229 posts, read 17,546,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Jeep has been castrated by Chrysler ownership. Might as well let the name die and just produce their usual version of city cruisers and drop the pretense that they are still making "Trail worthy/tested" vehicles. Jeep hasn't been "Jeep" in a LONG time.

The old Cherokee's were bulletproof too!

Old 04-19-2009, 03:38 PM

93 posts, read 357,975 times
I like the looks of the 2011 but would not buy the first year of a redesign. I had a 2000 model and loved it, in fact after having it less than a week my wife decided she liked it better
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, and Ram