Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, and Ram
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 11:08 AM

2 posts, read 25,387 times

Advertisements

I began getting the P1495 code weeks back, which is for a faulty leak detection pump. The part has been replaced, but the repair shop could not get the check engine light to turn off. They said it was a manufacturer code, and to try going to Chrysler. I don't have much money, and have seen stories of how people will pay 100 dollars to have the dealership tell them something insignificant. I have been trying to do the drive cycle to get the code to clear out of the system, yet its been a few days and I cannot get it to work. My inspection runs out tomorrow, and I do not know what to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2009, 12:49 PM

157 posts, read 1,093,279 times
A drive cycle is used to make sure that the light does not come back on, once the problem is fixed and the code has been cleared. Yes, some things will trigger the MIL and then reset itself when the problem is fixed, but some will not reset without the scan tool/programmer. I would try taking my receipt to the dealer and explain the situation. They probably will charge you one hour of labor, maybe a half if you're lucky. That will cover diagnostic/clearing the light if they find no other reason it is on. By law, they cannot clear the light if there is a problem still and no repairs have been performed. Hope this helps.

Old 08-31-2009, 01:17 PM

1,437 posts, read 3,774,703 times
I assume the "disconnect the positive battery cable to reset the check engine light" trick doesn't work on newer cars?

Old 08-31-2009, 02:07 PM

2,698 posts, read 12,167,740 times
^^^^^ depends on what threw the code in the first place. i would give it a shot.

Mike

Old 08-31-2009, 05:03 PM

3,503 posts, read 7,494,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugatu View Post
I assume the "disconnect the positive battery cable to reset the check engine light" trick doesn't work on newer cars?
Correct.

That compunds the problem by resetting OBD monitors, which an inspection will find. Code P1000, IIRC.

Besides, why do all that work? Just find the PCM fuse in the underhood relay box, pull it, replace in a few minutes.

Same idea, less work. Hell, can you even find battery posts in a Chrylser FWD car now?

Old 08-31-2009, 11:12 PM

3,071 posts, read 9,135,150 times
Clearing the code by whatever method does not mean the light will not come on again after the computer recycles. You cant have the car inspected while its in this mode..After driving the car and the light comes back on it means the problem or problems have not been fixed. Often the trouble code will just point to an area of the OBD11 system causing the problem. If it says "a sensor" it could mean its a bad wire OR a bad sensor. It takes a mechanic to determine just what needs to be replaced much of the time.

Old 09-01-2009, 09:08 AM

1,437 posts, read 3,774,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nativechief View Post
Clearing the code by whatever method does not mean the light will not come on again after the computer recycles. You cant have the car inspected while its in this mode..After driving the car and the light comes back on it means the problem or problems have not been fixed. Often the trouble code will just point to an area of the OBD11 system causing the problem. If it says "a sensor" it could mean its a bad wire OR a bad sensor. It takes a mechanic to determine just what needs to be replaced much of the time.
And sometimes a mechanic can't figure it out either. I have a 97 Mustang that I've had 3 different mechanics look at, but no one can figure what causes the check engine light to come on. The code is for "running rich, bank II". Several hundred dollars later in "repairs" and it still comes on. Every mechanic that has looked at the car just ends up saying "I give up, everything is testing fine, I don't know why it keeps coming on!" One even came to the conclusion that the computer was going bad because there was no other explanation. Sure, whatever.

It has been like this for YEARS, but the car still runs strong whether the light is on or off. I gave up too and just don't care anymore, but it's a pain when it's time for inspection. I do have to disconnect the battery to reset the light, and fortunately I can usually drive it several miles before the light comes back, which is enough to get it to pass the inspection.

Old 09-01-2009, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugatu View Post
And sometimes a mechanic can't figure it out either. I have a 97 Mustang that I've had 3 different mechanics look at, but no one can figure what causes the check engine light to come on. The code is for "running rich, bank II". Several hundred dollars later in "repairs" and it still comes on. Every mechanic that has looked at the car just ends up saying "I give up, everything is testing fine, I don't know why it keeps coming on!" One even came to the conclusion that the computer was going bad because there was no other explanation. Sure, whatever.

It has been like this for YEARS, but the car still runs strong whether the light is on or off. I gave up too and just don't care anymore, but it's a pain when it's time for inspection. I do have to disconnect the battery to reset the light, and fortunately I can usually drive it several miles before the light comes back, which is enough to get it to pass the inspection.
Ive never heard of a car in the "cycle mood" passing because the computer indicates its not ready . However if you can get it to pass.great

Old 09-01-2009, 06:26 PM

773 posts, read 2,630,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nativechief View Post
Ive never heard of a car in the "cycle mood" passing because the computer indicates its not ready . However if you can get it to pass.great
  • I agree. I don't think it will pass if it has been reset hours or minutes before;
  • The mechanic should have placed an exhaust gas analyzer in the tailpipe to see if it was running rich.

Old 09-01-2009, 07:10 PM

The OBD11 system is standard on all cars made in 1996 and later. It makes all cars uniform which is good. The OBD11 system is simple as long as it is working but can become a big pain in the arse even for a pro to fix sometimes. Alot of people get ripped off paying others to "fix" the check engine light being on and the bad thing about it is the owner of the car almost has to fully understand how the system works to avoid it. Most dont.If I paid for a fix it would be best to ask just what was wrong and to see any parts that had to be replaced. If your CEL is on its best to go to a place like autozone and get a free scan and the code it shows. Then go home and look up the code and the indicators it shows on the net and then google the code and your car model. By doing this you can zero in on what has to be done to fix your car without depending on just the word of some guy at a repair shop. It can save you alot of money.. good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, and Ram