Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, and Ram
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2009, 04:05 AM

894 posts, read 2,201,803 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Yes, the early model Foci had several recalls, but theyre hardly pieces of "****" as you label them. There are many Foci out there with over 300K on the ticker with minimal repairs. One guy on our forums has almost 600K (believe it!!!) and no issues.

My Focus came standard with leather seats, 6 speed manual trans, 8 speaker sound system with subwoofer, 12" discs with ABS, t/c, 17" wheels, Cosworth-tuned engined, leather steering wheel, shift boot, and e-brake handle, electroluminescent gauges, 6 disc changer, 4-2-1 tubular header, stainless steel exhaust, factory body kit, etc, etc, etc.

Id run circles around you day and night, with 100K trouble-free miles on my Focus.

And FYI, the Focus has won more awards than any Ram could ever dream of. OUCH.
Take it easy there Steve Mcqueen. If you wanna hook bumpers I would be more than willing to hook up. I bet my truck is twice as fast as your little toy car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2009, 05:14 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,727,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzDesertRat86 View Post
I drive a 2008 dodge ram 2500 Cummins. I drive the sh*t out of that truck. I use it for what it was designed for. Tow heavy, pull stumps, off road, camping. Whatever you can use a truck for, I have done it. It hasn't let me down yet. Although it does have its problems, but those problems are from I have done to it, in relation to all the aftermarket components I have on it.
Let me know how it runs in 2018!

Old 11-20-2009, 07:41 AM

9,131 posts, read 20,006,903 times
I have not really seen where premature oil pump failures are a major problem on Chrysler products of late.

I do not have great faith in Chrysler quality as of late. Especially since it's sale from Daimler and maybe in it's later years with Daimler when they started giving up on it. To cust costs and losses, it is easy to demand cheaper parts from suppliers, and they generally get cheaper in price by getting cheaper in quality. This increases the failure rates, and shortens longevity. I wouldn't doubt that Cerebus took this tactic to try and stop the bleeding of red ink. (I wouldn't doubt GM has been doing this either, since they have gone this route in the past... but that is another thread).

I wouldn't buy a brand new Chrysler if I wanted to keep it 100K+ or just a really long time. Wait, with their resale, I wouldn't buy a new Chrysler at all.

If you buy a late model, low mile used Chrysler, I think you can find a good deal. Their resale is dreadful, which makes them thousands cheaper than comparable used competition. Otherwise, they would be near the bottom of my shopping list. Just not much that is compelling, and too many doubts on their quality and longevity right now.

Old 11-20-2009, 07:55 AM

6,367 posts, read 16,871,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzDesertRat86 View Post
Take it easy there Steve Mcqueen. If you wanna hook bumpers I would be more than willing to hook up. I bet my truck is twice as fast as your little toy car.
LOL

Old 11-20-2009, 08:28 AM

6,796 posts, read 9,347,476 times
I hope I'm not jinxing myself here, but I had a 1997 (Chrysler) Jeep Cherokee that I never had a problem with. I just did the regular maintenance in the owners manual and other than new tires and breaks, didn't really need to replace anything extra for the entire 150K that I owned the vehicle. I sold it because I wanted something different.

I also currently own a 2007 Jeep Wrangler that I bought used and I admit that it had its clutch replaced under warranty at 12K (!) but other than that, I haven't had an issue.

So... your mileage may vary, I guess. I'm not necessarily a Chrysler lover, but I do like my Jeeps.

Old 11-20-2009, 11:08 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,790,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Barnes View Post
Is it coincidence that the Dodges have such great problems at 85K+. I wanted to buy American but not a chance now. The cars oil light comes on goes 3 miles to safety and the engine seizes. This is not a lone story per internet. This was my first Chrysler Auto I have ever had ., In the past mostly GM and the future now lies with Hyundai or Kia. Is this just my first bad car luck and are all Dodges built this way. It seems by the internet 85K is like 200 in Dog Years for a Chrysler Product.
I'm not a Chrysler fan, but seriously... the oil light means shut it down NOW. Not in 3 miles.

Operator error at its finest.

Old 11-20-2009, 11:42 AM

30 posts, read 161,039 times
Having problems with a Dodge and then swearing off all American cars is like buying a Suzuki and then swearing off all Japanese cars once it gives you problems.

Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep are great at a few things. Making awesome looking cars...squeezing a huge engine in a car...making cars with a lot of "attitude"...making a legendary 4x4 vehicle for 50+ years...legendary diesel engines...etc, etc.

Reliability is NOT one of them.

You want reliability out of an American brand today...go with GM or Ford.

Old 11-20-2009, 01:31 PM

1,440 posts, read 4,416,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robe81 View Post
You want reliability out of an American brand today...go with GM or Ford.
Yeah, GM or Ford. Oh, forgot about my one friend who couldn't get rid of her Ford 500 fast enough after the strangest things starting to go wrong after about 15K miles or so. Like the front brakes ground down to bare metal needing a full replacement. Or the friend with the GMC Yukon who did the very same thing to it's front brakes at around 9k. Then we have my sister-in-law who just found out her tranny needs redone on her Malibu at 36k.

I'm not being partial to Chrysler. Another co-worker had nothing but troubles with her Sebring. For heaven's sake, her gas door came off in her hands one day. That's low. The friend who had the 500 bought a Mercedes instead. Nice car, except it keeps informing her that her right rear light is on and other electronics act up like they have free will. "Who needs switches, I'm a Mercedes".

Just trying to say that every make has problems, every vehicle has problems. There is no one answer to a best bet in transportation.

Old 11-20-2009, 03:50 PM

30 posts, read 161,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazzwell View Post
Yeah, GM or Ford. Oh, forgot about my one friend who couldn't get rid of her Ford 500 fast enough after the strangest things starting to go wrong after about 15K miles or so. Like the front brakes ground down to bare metal needing a full replacement. Or the friend with the GMC Yukon who did the very same thing to it's front brakes at around 9k. Then we have my sister-in-law who just found out her tranny needs redone on her Malibu at 36k.

I'm not being partial to Chrysler. Another co-worker had nothing but troubles with her Sebring. For heaven's sake, her gas door came off in her hands one day. That's low. The friend who had the 500 bought a Mercedes instead. Nice car, except it keeps informing her that her right rear light is on and other electronics act up like they have free will. "Who needs switches, I'm a Mercedes".

Just trying to say that every make has problems, every vehicle has problems. There is no one answer to a best bet in transportation.
Hmmm...so you have friends that have cousins who are married to people that have had problems with Fords and GM? You kinda see where I'm going with this? Dont base your conclusions about other makes on what people you know experienced. You dont know how they took care of their car.

What I do know is I've owned 4 Chryslers, 3 Fords, and 2 GM products. I had the most off the wall experiences with the Chryslers. For instance my Dodge would literally shut off when I went over 50mph.

The research stands. GM and Ford are doing very well and Chrysler...well...not so much.

Dont get me wrong Im not trying to run them down. I love seeing any of the Big 3 do well as I support all American brands. And I'm glad they do what they do...make big frame, big attitude cars and trucks.

Old 11-20-2009, 05:53 PM

10,926 posts, read 21,992,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IonRedline08 View Post
I had a Charger rental after a car accident a few months ago, and, at first, I was excited, as I hadn't driven or been in one. Boy was I in for a shock. That thing was a TURD, even with 10K miles on it.
As it probably had the 2.7 in it that would explain it, the 3.5 is a much better engine. Your showing your lack of knowledge by condeming an entire line by basing your opinion only on the lowest powered model.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, and Ram