Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, and Ram
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2010, 01:15 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,363,453 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPBsr View Post
Doubt you're find a TJ within your price/age range that's in good condition.
We're more than likely going to test-drive a friend's 99 TJ with a 4.0 (manual trans though), soft top, and super clean body for $5,500. It needs a new windshield, thats about it.

Thanks for the replies, everyone. Much appreciated! I have looked high and low for a 4.0 with an auto, but theyre either too expensive, or YJ's with way too many miles. The wife will just have to learn to drive a manual again, we cant pass up on this deal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2010, 01:35 PM

1,333 posts, read 3,224,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
We're more than likely going to test-drive a friend's 99 TJ with a 4.0 (manual trans though), soft top, and super clean body for $5,500. It needs a new windshield, thats about it.

Thanks for the replies, everyone. Much appreciated! I have looked high and low for a 4.0 with an auto, but theyre either too expensive, or YJ's with way too many miles. The wife will just have to learn to drive a manual again, we cant pass up on this deal.
Trust me, you won't be sorry going with the manual. It might be a pain to get back into the feel of it, but it's like riding a bike.

Old 04-11-2010, 05:58 PM

2,544 posts, read 4,281,755 times
I believe the TJ's with manual got the NV4500 trans. An excellent trans, often seen in heavier trucks. With normal maintenance, that trans will outlast the rest of the Jeep.

Old 04-11-2010, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadro77 View Post
Trust me, you won't be sorry going with the manual. It might be a pain to get back into the feel of it, but it's like riding a bike.
Oh I know, I only buy manuals, but this is for the wife who has a metal plate in her right wrist, and has numerous back problems, including another bulging disc which is pinching nerves down her legs, which can be extemely painful when driving even an auto. But, I just went and took a look at the Jeep, and its clean as a whistle. Just needs a new windshield, and the guy has 2 new canvas doors coming in for it (steel doors were sold). The wife seems ok with the canvas doors (brrrrr), but for the price we cant really complain. I can always Craigslist a set of steel doors later on if the wife really complains during the winter.

Old 04-11-2010, 07:36 PM

1,777 posts, read 4,857,754 times
and you can also ALWAYS swap to a 4speed auto later as well, cheap...

Old 04-12-2010, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBMallory View Post
and you can also ALWAYS swap to a 4speed auto later as well, cheap...
Sounds like a lot of work according to my friend, who is a master tech (and owns 2 Wranglers himself).

Old 04-24-2010, 02:11 AM

1,884 posts, read 3,446,336 times
Quote:
Oh I know, I only buy manuals, but this is for the wife who has a metal plate in her right wrist, and has numerous back problems, including another bulging disc which is pinching nerves down her legs, which can be extemely painful when driving even an auto. But, I just went and took a look at the Jeep, and its clean as a whistle. Just needs a new windshield, and the guy has 2 new canvas doors coming in for it (steel doors were sold). The wife seems ok with the canvas doors (brrrrr), but for the price we cant really complain. I can always Craigslist a set of steel doors later on if the wife really complains during the winter.
Not sure which years you're looking at, but the I6 and auto. in my '98 Cherokee run like new, with 206K on the clock. That era used the Aisin-Warner trans., which uses Dexron fluid. They have to be maintained, although some on this forum claim they have 300K-400K+ on the clock with trannies which have never been apart:

Jeep Cherokee Forum

I didn't have the time to do the tranny flush and filter change last year after I bought it, and the dealer was running a special, so I took it there and they did it for around $100 or so. The kickdown cable adjustment you can do with your fingers (important once the miles get up there).

That Cherokee forum covers the Cherokees, which had the same drivetrains as the Wranglers. No doubt there are Wrangler forums, online, which have similar tech info. The only issue I had after buying the Cherokee was the check engine light (CEL) came on. The tranny is electronically controlled, so I thought maybe that was part of the problem. Turns out the OBD II codes indicated that, yes, there were tranny issues. Here's the deal:

The Neutral Safety Switch (NSS) on those trannies gets gummed up on the inside, which causes the vehicle to lose reverse lights, and as it gets worse, intermittent starting issues, until it won't start anymore. I used an online tutorial to fix mine, instead of shelling out big bucks for a new one. Lubed it up with lithium grease, and put it back on the trans. Haven't had one issue, since, and the CEL issue went away after a trip to Ohio. So, the tranny flush, and, more importantly, cleaning up the inside of the NSS, cleared the OBD II codes. The brass contacts on the inside get gummed up. I'd bet dollars to donuts many a Wrangler, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee owner has parked ones with that tranny thinking there were major problems, when it's just a dirty switch.

Other than that, had 4 Michelins put on, I put 4 Monroe Sensa-Trac's on it, replaced the valve cover gasket, flushed the transfer and rear diff, did a major tune up, and a few other odds an ends. Oil pan gasket does leak some (just around the front a little), BUT the aftermarket has a good one-piece gasket, now. Exhaust manifolds do leak at the welds.

They make hard tops and steel doors for those Wranglers.

The late-90's Jeeps are well-made. In '99 they went with a newer ignition system (coil packs), and it appears they did have some minor teething issues with that system, so caveat emptor.

Old 04-24-2010, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Sounds like a lot of work according to my friend, who is a master tech (and owns 2 Wranglers himself).
Hardly... new trans and brake pedal assembly, shifter and console, linkage and t-case... easy swap and easy sale of your old trans and tcase

Old 04-25-2010, 11:34 AM

Thanks for the info, guys. With any luck the Wrangler should be ready to go sometime this week. We test drove it yesterday, runs and idles great. Clutch feels good, brakes are strong. Just got a new windshield put in it yesterday, a new top, and have carpet on the way, too. Once the new doors show up we'll be good to go!

Old 04-25-2010, 12:11 PM

post some pics!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, and Ram