Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, and Ram
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 08:12 PM

2 posts, read 4,852 times

Advertisements

same problem here with 97 dakota 3.9. just discovered when i touch the middle plug on ECU it died. did this several times and everytime i touched it or wiggled it died. if i held it tight it wouldnt die. been chasin this for year . now gotta figure out if its the plug or inside ECU
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2011, 09:58 PM

8,548 posts, read 10,969,065 times
Not sure if you 97 has a nuetral safety switch on the steering column, or, like the later models,a "TRS" switch mounted on the left side of the transmission.
TRS is, transmission range sensor.
It got me to thinking, when you started to drive, you stated the engine would die.
Can't say much about the switch if it is mounted on the steering column, but for sure I can vouch for thr TRS on the transmission.
The reason I have a little knowledge about the trs is because I had trouble with my 2002 R/T stalling, and being hard to start.
Sometimes it was like I had a dead battery, even though I may have just shut the truck off to run into a store.
Upon restart, it wouldn't, and sometimes when it did start, when I put it in gear, it would stall.
The manual explained when starters appears to be at fault, don't be so quick to think replacement.
Check other things, connections, wireing etc.etc.
Then it mentioned a little switch mounted on the side of the transmission, called a TRS switch is tied into the ignition system and starting system.
Upon inspection of this switch I noticed a large amount of trans fluid on, and around the switch.
When I removed it from the trans, the terminals on the inside of the switch were completely soaked in trans fluid.
This is not suppossed to happen.
The switch has an "o" ring where the shaft on the switch slides into the transmission.
This ring had worn enough so that it allowed trans fluid to completely fill the switch, causing loss of electrical contact.
As soon as the vehicle started to move once in gear, electrical contact, or I shoud say, the loss of it, would cause the engine to shut down.
Once I replaced the switch, the problem was solved.
Look to see just what switch your vehicle is equipped with.
I am guessing yours has the steering colum nuetral safety switch.
Which ever you have, try replacing it .
Bob.

Old 08-13-2011, 09:41 AM

2 posts, read 4,852 times
I put couple plastic ties on plug and it hasnt died since. not sure if that switch is on tran or steering col but good to know about that if i ever have that problem

Old 08-21-2013, 10:06 PM

1 posts, read 1,959 times
Post Can't be the fuel Pump

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I have seen this before on other vehicles, most recently a 2003 Ranger, where it would randomly die. Eventually it stopped and would not start again, and it did turn out to be the fuel pump. sometimes they can start then stop, before going out completely.
The first time my 97 dakota stalled on me I was driving down the highway . It began by shutting off and restarting on its on . It did this 4 times then quit completely . My husband came to rescue me got it to start back by banging on the tank where the fuel pump was located . it made it 2 miles then quit again . had to have it towed home . we replaced the fuel pump ran good for about 3 months now its doing the same thing again but I have learned a helpful trick I turn the key off and on usually 10 times never bumping the starter it will usually crank then die I repeat this process a couple more times and its good to go. Usually when it pitches one of its dying fits it will shut off even backfire 3 or 4 times then runs fine . Today I pulled on to the highway just barely got all the way in my lane when it died . God was surely riding with me because an 18 wheeler came barreling around the curve and there I sat luckily there was no oncoming traffic at that moment and the driver was quick thinking and saved me if not both of us from certain death. I love my truck but apparently it is a defect that the Dodge Co has to know the underlying cause so how about it guys will someone let this girl in on the real problem before it causes my death or even worse my grandsons whom is forever asking to borrow my truck

Old 07-08-2015, 03:18 PM

1 posts, read 1,091 times
I had the same problem with my 96 Dakota. found the problem in 5 minutes. the wired from the coil to the distributor slipped out of the harness and laid against the block. melted through the rubber coating and exposed the wires which gave way to corrosion over time. check if it's the same problem and hopefully all you gotta do is replace that wire
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, and Ram