U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 09:12 AM

6,351 posts, read 19,363,631 times

Advertisements

There was a time when I never could've imagined my self listening to talk radio. Maybe it's my advancing age, but I find I enjoy WLW a fair amount. Mike McConnell was my favorite (I feel deprived to not have known Gary Burbank when he was on) Anyway, I truly enjoyed listening to Mike. More than a few times I've disagreed with him. But I still enjoyed his viewpoint and even enjoyed calling in on occasion. (I knew better than to debate with him...) He was a clss act and it will be hard to find a suitable replacement. I like Sloanie, but he's really a late-night lightweight kinda talk show host. As well as I'm a litle older than the demographic he appeals to. Eric Dieters is a learned man, I'll grant you. And he does make some points I've enjoyed. But I can truly do without his yelling and his endless self-promotion...

Your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2010, 09:56 AM

1,130 posts, read 2,102,425 times
McConnell had the virtue of being the only serious talk show host on the WLW schedule. And while he was my favorite too, sometimes he seemed to me to be bored with the whole thing...he treated callers like a department store Santa trying to get each kid off his knee as quickly as he could.

You've opened a can of worms, though, on the board because this thread is going to quickly degenerate into a battle of whether you agree with the politics of McConnell and Cunningham. I figured I would get my post in before that mess happens.

Irrespective of what you think about the politics of McConnell and Cunningham, they helped make WLW number 1 in this radio market for a reason. I'm a bit ambivalent about Cunningham, because he more of an entertainer than a talk show host...it never ceases to amaze me how many people get their hackles up about him and his schtick. But then, I guess that's his job. Some people just don't realize that half of what he says is tongue in cheek and designed to get a rise out of people.

You mentioned Burbank, this may be sacrilege to some, but he bored me to tears. His tired jokes and routine were way overdue to be retired.

And Sloan, he's just a Cunningham wannabe, and listening to his shrill voice grates on my nerves. I think it's terrible that WLW asks him to do Extra Innings...he knows nothing about baseball and makes a complete mockery of it.

Old 06-12-2010, 10:14 AM

50 posts, read 60,484 times
Default WLW kind of blows

My thinking is that it's mostly a waste of a very strong signal.

This Clear Channel Communications outlet's programming honors its corporate master by presenting a dumbed-down, pro-war, racially segregated version of contemporary American reality. All in all, it's exceedingly dull.

Eric Deters' show is at least somewhat interesting to listen to.

Old 06-12-2010, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AimfulDrifter View Post
My thinking is that it's mostly a waste of a very strong signal.

This Clear Channel Communications outlet's programming honors its corporate master by presenting a dumbed-down, pro-war, racially segregated version of contemporary American reality. All in all, it's exceedingly dull.
Wow, that didn't take long. I rest my case.

Old 06-12-2010, 12:07 PM

50 posts, read 60,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t45209 View Post
Wow, that didn't take long. I rest my case.
Oooh, you rest your case! Your airtight narrative has neatly framed the rest of this thread, whatever that might include! Pray tell, how does one acquire cutting-edge insights such as WLW being a political lightning rod?

Yep, some people find mainstream radio programming to be stultifying and reprehensible. WLW and Clear Channel, in the process of manufacturing consent for/from the masses, also have a polarizing effect by turning off free thinkers. So does NPR.

Our nation's media are a sham in shambles, and that's just the way it is. I'm sorry if I steered attention away from debating the finer points of Annoying Host X versus Annoying Host Y.

OK, time for an impromptu poll: How many of you think that t45209 thinks I'm a liberal simply because I dislike WLW? I'll go first. I think he does.

Old 06-12-2010, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AimfulDrifter View Post
Oooh, you rest your case! Your airtight narrative has neatly framed the rest of this thread, whatever that might include! Pray tell, how does one acquire cutting-edge insights such as WLW being a political lightning rod?

Yep, some people find mainstream radio programming to be stultifying and reprehensible. WLW and Clear Channel, in the process of manufacturing consent for/from the masses, also have a polarizing effect by turning off free thinkers. So does NPR.

Our nation's media are a sham in shambles, and that's just the way it is. I'm sorry if I steered attention away from debating the finer points of Annoying Host X versus Annoying Host Y.

OK, time for an impromptu poll: How many of you think that t45209 thinks I'm a liberal simply because I dislike WLW? I'll go first. I think he does.
You are hilarious! I love the fact that you don't see any irony at all in the the fact that you are so fired up about this. WLW is a business, not some propaganda machine, and they put the people on the air that sell advertising. If you don't like it, don't listen.

And, no I really don't care what your political leanings are. However, you must since you were so immediately defensive and ready to start labeling. Lighten up, Francis!. Enjoy life!

This will probably be my last post to this thread, because it's going nowhere good.

Old 06-12-2010, 03:30 PM

411 posts, read 982,152 times
Default chicago

Maybe you should ask these questions in the Chicago forum. I wonder what Chicago listeners are thinking of McConnell?

Old 06-12-2010, 04:38 PM

10,139 posts, read 23,319,618 times
I think macconnel was thought provoking and intellectually consistent. Unfortunately, deters is neither.

Old 06-12-2010, 05:44 PM

6,351 posts, read 19,363,631 times
Agreed, Wilson1010. I also found McConnell thought-provoking even if I didn't agree with his point. And that was often. And, although MConnell is a staunch Republican with a fair amount of Libertarian thrown in, I still feel that he was fair to the Dems when it was called for. At least most of the time. And, yes, I wish that more people would listen to talk radio with brain engaged...

Last edited by Crew Chief; 06-13-2010 at 11:48 AM..

Old 06-12-2010, 05:58 PM

205 posts, read 830,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
Agreed, Wilson1010. I also found McConnell thought-provoking even if i didn't garee with his point. And that was often. And, although MConnell is a staunch republican with a fair amount of Libertarian thrown in, I still feel that he was fair to the Dems when it was called for. At least most of the time. And, yes, I wish that more people would listen to talk radio with brain engaged...
I've listened to Mike since he started and he's always been the best talk guy as far as I'm concerned.

There was some promo somewhere sometime that said something like he'd be the kind of guy you'd like to talk with over the back fence or have a beer with.

I think that's true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati