U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-21-2010, 09:44 AM
 
8,467 posts, read 11,837,299 times
Reputation: 6049
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodomonte View Post
You people are really naive. Panhandlers are all druggies or alcoholics, or just plain grifters. I lived in a homeless shelter out west and none of my roomies panhandled during the day. The panhandlers I saw in the town were all addicts and not homeless either. By giving them money, you are just enabling their habit.
This is totally correct.

Enabling drug and alcohol addiction assures that these addicts will continue their downward spiral and never find recovery. The Franciscans in Cincinnati have condemned hundred if not thousands of addicts to death by handing out small sums of money and food to enable their addictions. They cannot get into the homeless shelter drunk or drugged and so after they pick up, they stay on the street where they are robbed, abused and subjected to the elements. These well meaning but ill advised people keep them from getting the services they need.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-21-2010, 02:32 PM
 
Location: Cincinnati
350 posts, read 459,933 times
Reputation: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
The Franciscans in Cincinnati have condemned hundred if not thousands of addicts to death by handing out small sums of money and food to enable their addictions
Unbelievable. The Franciscan Brothers at St. Francis Seraph at Liberty and Vine do have a soup kitchen. How that condemns the homeless to death remains a mystery.

How about the addicts and the homeless people take accountability for their own effed up existence. You have to be insane to blame anyone for their plight but themselves. You can even blame the shelters for turning them away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2010, 03:01 PM
 
8,467 posts, read 11,837,299 times
Reputation: 6049
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincy Rider View Post
Unbelievable. The Franciscan Brothers at St. Francis Seraph at Liberty and Vine do have a soup kitchen. How that condemns the homeless to death remains a mystery.

How about the addicts and the homeless people take accountability for their own effed up existence. You have to be insane to blame anyone for their plight but themselves. You can even blame the shelters for turning them away.
Persons who are seriously addicted to alcohol and drugs lose the power of self determination. Only when they reach their personal bottom and all other avenues are closed to them will they accept recovery as an option. Persons familiar with addiction counseling know this to be true.

I applaud the shelters for turning them away. And, the citizen who refuse their begging and the police who arrest them for public drunkenness and urination and the owners who have them chargesd with trespassing.

Last edited by Wilson513; 06-21-2010 at 03:27 PM.. Reason: Be even nicer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2010, 05:19 PM
 
Location: Cincinnati
3,167 posts, read 3,193,706 times
Reputation: 1852
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
This is totally correct.

Enabling drug and alcohol addiction assures that these addicts will continue their downward spiral and never find recovery. The Franciscans in Cincinnati have condemned hundred if not thousands of addicts to death by handing out small sums of money and food to enable their addictions. They cannot get into the homeless shelter drunk or drugged and so after they pick up, they stay on the street where they are robbed, abused and subjected to the elements. These well meaning but ill advised people keep them from getting the services they need.
Why should we serve the homeless? Have we not soup kitchens? Have we not shelters?

Can't it be enough for each of us to do what we think is right without harshly judging and mocking those who have a different vision of what is right and helpful?

Personally, I would like to think that there is a place in this world (city) for unconditional aid. If you disagree, okay, but accept it as a disagreement rather than the violation of your version of an unconditional truth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2010, 05:38 PM
 
8,467 posts, read 11,837,299 times
Reputation: 6049
Quote:
Originally Posted by progmac View Post
Why should we serve the homeless? Have we not soup kitchens? Have we not shelters?

Can't it be enough for each of us to do what we think is right without harshly judging and mocking those who have a different vision of what is right and helpful?

Personally, I would like to think that there is a place in this world (city) for unconditional aid. If you disagree, okay, but accept it as a disagreement rather than the violation of your version of an unconditional truth.
OK, Why don't you stop by the cancer ward at the VA hospital and toss out some cigarettes. I'm sure you'll find some takers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2010, 05:57 PM
 
Location: Tucson, Arizona
4,285 posts, read 6,290,891 times
Reputation: 3744
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
If you think panhandling is bad in Cincy, don't ever go to San Francisco or Portland.

Can I ever agree with that comment. Im originally from outside of Boston and live here in Portland, Oregon. I have never in all my years of travel, seen the amount of homelessness and panhandling as I see here. Whats worse its acceptable here not just on the steets but in stores also. The sob stories and the people on fwy ramps is a disgrace. Most of this is really just drugged out bums in this city. I seriously doubt Cincy would have huge amounts of panhandling. I don't think the cultures in that area of the county would put up with what I see on the West Coast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2010, 07:07 PM
 
2,204 posts, read 4,348,012 times
Reputation: 363
Anyone who thinks panhandling is a "problem" in Cincy suffers from Idontgetoutmuchopia. it's a cakewalk here.

I'm also a big supporter of not giving out change due to the fact that it becomes an enabler to feed the addiction, which is why I'm okay with homeless shelters. If I say no to someone because I do not want to enable someone to feed their addiction, then I feel it is society's responsibility to take care of folks who have fallen on hard times ... just as I pay for I74 as I never use the damn thing or feel a responsibility to grab the hand of a toddler getting ready to jump in front of a car as soon as his dad turns away.

We have millionaires that have become homeless just as we have homeless that have become millionaires. Some people just need a helping hand, but like Wilson stated - some people just need to hit rock-bottom first and to do this, they need to run out of "resources."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2010, 07:41 PM
 
9,281 posts, read 11,140,612 times
Reputation: 9113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
Can I ever agree with that comment. Im originally from outside of Boston and live here in Portland, Oregon. I have never in all my years of travel, seen the amount of homelessness and panhandling as I see here. Whats worse its acceptable here not just on the steets but in stores also. The sob stories and the people on fwy ramps is a disgrace. Most of this is really just drugged out bums in this city. I seriously doubt Cincy would have huge amounts of panhandling. I don't think the cultures in that area of the county would put up with what I see on the West Coast.
Panhandling is an art form on the west coast. Santa Cruz was the worst. I had people approach me who quite honestly were much better dressed than I was. And when you try to resist, they want to get into a philosophical argument.

In Oregon, I always get approached by backpackers (not homeless people) looking for handouts so that they can stay on the road. And that was the case when the economy was hot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2010, 08:38 PM
 
Location: Tucson, Arizona
4,285 posts, read 6,290,891 times
Reputation: 3744
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Panhandling is an art form on the west coast. Santa Cruz was the worst. I had people approach me who quite honestly were much better dressed than I was. And when you try to resist, they want to get into a philosophical argument.

In Oregon, I always get approached by backpackers (not homeless people) looking for handouts so that they can stay on the road. And that was the case when the economy was hot.

I agree with your comments. I will add I think Oregon has without a doubt some of the strangest people I have ever seen in America. Overly political and many are just plain dirty and smelly. There are some nice respectable people here, but the huge amount of losers is overwhelming. Its like a big welfare state especially, Portland, Salem, and Eugene. Im researching other areas and can't wait to see Portland and the state disappear in my rear view mirror. It is a beautiful state though georgraphy wise but its population is beyond weird.

Places like Ohio seem to be much more grounded and people would not be begging all over the state like out here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2010, 10:19 PM
 
9,281 posts, read 11,140,612 times
Reputation: 9113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I agree with your comments. I will add I think Oregon has without a doubt some of the strangest people I have ever seen in America. Overly political and many are just plain dirty and smelly. There are some nice respectable people here, but the huge amount of losers is overwhelming. Its like a big welfare state especially, Portland, Salem, and Eugene. Im researching other areas and can't wait to see Portland and the state disappear in my rear view mirror. It is a beautiful state though georgraphy wise but its population is beyond weird.

Places like Ohio seem to be much more grounded and people would not be begging all over the state like out here.
No, Oregon is what happens when you have relatively mild weather and a populous who is willing to accept certain behaviors.

There are a number of panhandlers in Chicago makeing well in excess of $100/day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top