U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2010, 02:22 PM

3 posts, read 4,664 times

Advertisements

Hello, all,

I've perused the relocation threads via search, but haven't quite found one that gives me the information I'm looking for - perhaps you can help.

I am a 40 year old gay male who is going to commute to Oxford, but wants the comforts of the city. Since I'm going to Miami as a student, I have limited income and looking for rent in the $400-$800 range/month.

I want safe, affordable, and close to a good grocery store. I don't have to be in a gayberhood, but don't want to be in a homophobic area either. I just want a friendly area where I won't be bothered or hassled. I want a commute under an hour. A preference is to have decent access to explicitedly gay-friendly retail and eating areas from time to time, so I don't want to get too far out like, say, Hamilton, if I can help it.

I've been directed to West Chester, Sharonville, and Mason so far. And one suggestion for Clifton, but I've seen on here that it may not be a particularly safe area(?). Other help or suggestions.

Many thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2010, 07:06 AM

3,335 posts, read 5,729,032 times
clifton gaslights area most closely provides what you are looking for. you should be able to find something modest in your price range. it is safe, there is an IGA right there (though it is somewhat expensive) and a three minute drive to northside, which is probably the most gay-friendly neighborhood in the city. i think hyde park and the east side neighborhoods will make for a lousy commute, having to get across the city every morning.

clifton gaslight area is quite safe, i don't foresee any problems there. people in the greater cincinnati area who don't know the city can be confused about what clifton is. to most people who don't know the city, 'clifton' is anything around the university, including some dicey areas.

west chester, sharonville, and mason are all nice, but you might as well live near oxford for all the city flair you'll get in those places.

Old 06-15-2010, 12:16 PM

thanks very much for your help!

Old 06-17-2010, 10:12 AM

14 posts, read 23,867 times
My boyfriend works in Mason/Deerfield and his restaurant has several gay managers and employees. Many gay and lesbian people frequent the establishment comfortably, and a customer even got thrown out for saying "f*****". I'm not sure if this is the overall vibe of the area though--Butler County is hugely conservative and I don't see why Warren County would be any different. It's all suburbia out here and you know how that generally goes.

Old 06-21-2010, 07:41 AM

Thanks, Westchester for that information.

Old 06-21-2010, 08:45 AM

10,139 posts, read 22,419,547 times
Oh, I think this whole discussion is a bit silly. This is 2010, not 1932. I have not heard any significant gay bashing since I was in high school 45 years ago. Sure, if you find a trailer park on the outskirts of Hamilton, or a predominately black neighborhood (where they seem to make victimizing gay males a sport), you won't find any problem anywhere.

Old 06-22-2010, 07:05 AM

2,886 posts, read 3,952,248 times
Wilson, I'm not sure what you think is silly about the discussion--if the silliness is gay-bashing, nobody mentioned that except you. I can only assume you're referring to the OP's comment that "A preference is to have decent access to explicitedly gay-friendly retail and eating areas from time to time..." Everybody has different interests and priorities, and being dismissive on a discussion board like this really doesn't accomplish anything.

Old 06-22-2010, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Perry View Post
Wilson, I'm not sure what you think is silly about the discussion--if the silliness is gay-bashing, nobody mentioned that except you. I can only assume you're referring to the OP's comment that "A preference is to have decent access to explicitedly gay-friendly retail and eating areas from time to time..." Everybody has different interests and priorities, and being dismissive on a discussion board like this really doesn't accomplish anything.
Well, you have to read the thread. You will see that many posters identifed areas as gay friendly or not and my point is that I have never seen any reasonable area that is not gay friendly. That issue is so much a thing of the past.

Old 06-22-2010, 01:10 PM

3,335 posts, read 5,729,032 times
wilson - why don't you tell us what is "significant gay bashing"

Old 06-22-2010, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by progmac View Post
wilson - why don't you tell us what is "significant gay bashing"
Geee, I think my point was that I hadn't heard any. Are you asking what I didn't hear?

Why don't you tell us what you think about gay bashing - you sound like you have something to say on this point.
In fact, I think you were one of the people who differentiated a neighborhood as "gay friendly." Am I wrong? What is "gay friendly?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or