U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 04:26 AM

400 posts, read 935,634 times

Advertisements

Is it just me, or is there more (and different stuff) to do this spring and summer than there has been in the past?
Although I've lived here all my life, I have always prided myself on NOT being a typical Cincinnatian. I have NEVER been to a Bengals game, Jimmy Buffett concert or WEBN fireworks (or most of the other Cincinnati sacred cow events); haven't been to a Reds game in years; only go to Kings Island if I get free passes; and find church festivals boring. I used to go to the free festivals that included national music acts, but this year, because of the economy, the communities that sponsor them have discontinued the celebrity concerts, and I'm not interested anymore.
However, I have done the following, all of which, as far as I know, are brand-new:
The Midpoint Musical Festival concerts. There have always been concerts on Fountain Square, but with few exceptions, it was acts like high school choirs (nothing against them, just not of interest to me!). But Friday evenings all this summer there are indie/alt/80s new wave/hiphop bands that I have been going to see regularly.
A movie premiere. Okay, so it was just the locally produced Cornhole movie at the Madison, but it WAS a REAL, professionally produced scripted comedy and it was exciting to see.
The adult summer reading program by the Cincinnati Public Library. The library has had this program for kids for decades, but this is the first year for adults, complete with a kickoff event and legitimate, useful prizes.
I found a bar that regularly has bands for my favorite music genre. (It's surf, if you're wondering, and it's Mahogany's in Latonia.)
A small national touring band that had concerts in Northern Kentucky and Vevay (of all places). (Okay, so it was a tribute concert for the uncool John Denver, but I've always loved him and the band was awesome!)

Have any of you found something NEW to do this summer in Cincinnati that you don't ever remember seeing/hearing before?

Last edited by skippercollector; 06-27-2010 at 04:53 AM.. Reason: addition
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2010, 01:38 PM

Default downtown movies

On Saturday night (July 3) I took a bus downtown to watch the movies being shown on Fountain Square. It was a very pleasant evening and the huge Jumbotron above Macy's can be seen everywhere from the square (unless you're standing behind the fountain!). And the sound over the loudspeakers is great too.
There was traffic all evening and many people just walking through the square. I suspect some of them were from out of town. As I left just a little before 11, Graeter's and the two bars/restaurants were still busy! I took the 33 bus back to Western Hills Plaza, and the bus was packed! (And no, there weren't any creepy people on it either.)
I am so glad that the city is making an effort to attract all ages and demographic groups to the square this summer. The effort seems to be working.

Old 07-06-2010, 02:00 PM

3,335 posts, read 5,729,880 times
the way we use the center of downtown for the bus hub makes getting in and out of downtown incredibly simple for anyone living in the city limits. whether going to a reds game or a movie on the square, the bus is a great way to get in and out and minimize stress. the only problem is they are very infrequent on the weekends

Old 07-07-2010, 04:12 PM

Default 4192

This Pete Rose movie at Newport on the Levee isn't to my taste, but it might be for the rest of you. Again, this is something that's never been done before, to my knowledge.
Pete Rose documentary '4192' set to premiere in Los Angeles | cincinnati.com | Cincinnati.Com

Old 07-21-2010, 05:21 PM

Default btaa

This is another new event. I would have gone to it had I not had other plans this week.
Cincinnati World Cinema 859 781 8151 High-quality cinema you won't see elsewhere

Old 07-21-2010, 07:16 PM

577 posts, read 1,004,714 times
My wife and I have a laundry list of things that we want to do this summer like the Cincinnati Dinner Train, Queen City Tour (I have always wanted to do that drive), Architreks walking tours, and just simply walking around downtown rediscovering some of the things we forgot to name a few...

Old 07-28-2010, 04:58 PM

Default Shakespeare in the park

This is the schedule:

Shakespeare in the Park*-*Cincinnati Shakespeare Company

Old 08-04-2010, 07:46 PM

Default pianos around town

Playful piano possibilities | cincinnati.com | nky.com

Old 08-20-2010, 12:54 PM

Default underground tours

I couldn't find a link to the article that was published in the Aug. 20 Cincinnati Enquirer. The same article was reprinted in the Dayton Daily News

New Cincinnati tour takes visitors underground (http://www.daytondailynews.com/news/ohio-news/new-cincinnati-tour-takes-visitors-underground-871399.html - broken link)

Old 08-21-2010, 07:35 AM

Default shepard fairey

My sister and I finally went to the Shepard Fairey exhibit at the Contemporary Arts Center, and liked it very much. I know the exhibit itself ends tomorrow (Aug. 22) but his outdoor murals around town are expected to last for at least a year. After we went to the exhibit, we walked around downtown to look for some of the murals.
There are a number of them around town, if you feel like driving and looking for them on a nice afternoon. You can find the locations on Google.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati