Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2010, 03:31 PM

17,578 posts, read 13,355,792 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by soozycue520 View Post
As for Izzy's potato pancakes, they used to be fried in lard. .
No way in Hell!!!!!

Before Izzy died, they were Kosher (or true Kosher style) I think Kosher, but I really can't remember

Izzy wouldn't even have milk products in the store. He closed the week of Passover.

His son and nephew added cheese and other dairy products after he died.

They would never have used lard!!!!!!!!!!

Now, schmaltz, that's a possibility

Old 07-11-2010, 03:35 PM

17,578 posts, read 13,355,792 times
BTW, what's so great about Cleveland Dellys? Corkey and Lenny's used to be good, but nothing like Shapiros in Indy or the mythical great Dellys in NY

Old 07-11-2010, 04:09 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,475,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
No way in Hell!!!!!

Before Izzy died, they were Kosher (or true Kosher style) I think Kosher, but I really can't remember

Izzy wouldn't even have milk products in the store. He closed the week of Passover.

His son and nephew added cheese and other dairy products after he died.

They would never have used lard!!!!!!!!!!

Now, schmaltz, that's a possibility
Now, why would lard from Izzy's kosher beef products not be kosher?

Old 07-11-2010, 04:18 PM

3,336 posts, read 6,942,354 times
well i had my wife pick me up a 1/4 pound kroger corned beef sliced from the deli. i made a sandwich from it and it was better than izzy's, no kidding. and $6 cheaper

Old 07-12-2010, 02:54 PM

279 posts, read 718,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by progmac View Post
well i had my wife pick me up a 1/4 pound kroger corned beef sliced from the deli. i made a sandwich from it and it was better than izzy's, no kidding. and $6 cheaper
Ya know stuff is usually better when ya make it yourself!

Anyways, some of you are harsh, or maybe I just have a shltty palate and low standards. Okay, so Izzy's doesn't blow me away, but when I have it the once or twice a year, it's not bad. Cover it with sauerkraut, pickles, and mustard, and it gets the job done. And of course that potato pancake on the side...

Old 07-12-2010, 08:28 PM

436 posts, read 952,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
BTW, what's so great about Cleveland Dellys? Corkey and Lenny's used to be good, but nothing like Shapiros in Indy or the mythical great Dellys in NY
What? I've been to Shaprio's a bunch, and they're no Slyman's.

Shapiro's doesn't cure their own briskets. They simply get them from Vienna.

The great delis in NYC are from from "mythical," by the way.

Old 07-14-2010, 06:52 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,799,024 times
All of this commentary about CB induced me to buy another brisket at Kroger's yesterday. I will see if I can reproduce my initial good results. Man, I really love those Reubens.

My first post in this thread said we had never cooked a corned beef. Now that my memory has caught up, that is not true. When we were first married, coming up close to the big 50 now, I remember purchasing a corned beef for home consumption. Came home from work the next week to find my young bride in tears. I have cooked that damn CB all day and it just will not get brown. Talk about shoe leather!

Old 07-14-2010, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
All of this commentary about CB induced me to buy another brisket at Kroger's yesterday. I will see if I can reproduce my initial good results. Man, I really love those Reubens.

My first post in this thread said we had never cooked a corned beef. Now that my memory has caught up, that is not true. When we were first married, coming up close to the big 50 now, I remember purchasing a corned beef for home consumption. Came home from work the next week to find my young bride in tears. I have cooked that damn CB all day and it just will not get brown. Talk about shoe leather!
Haha, great story!

Some of the sliced corned beef one sees around here is really not brisket but top round. It is way too lean for good corned beef, IMO.

One of my elderly Jewish friends introduced me to the joys of corned beef half a century ago. And, he had a little joke which I cannot do justice to but it was about a Jewish man pointing to purchase the ham in the deli case and insisting to the deli owner that it was corned beef instead of ham.

Corned beef should not be lean like Krogers or the Slyman's brand where they likely steam the brisket (or cook it in a pressure vessel) at temperatures that render out the fat. Of course, these days with all of the concern about fat and beef fat in particular, one cannot be surprised at the dry product mostly now available. But cooking it yourself you do not have to settle for that.

Accept the fat as an important part of the corned beef experience. Try to select a brisket that is well marbled and then after it is cured simmer it gently instead of furious boiling. If you can't find a well marbled brisket, ask your butcher to set one aside out of a prime beef animal. I think you will enjoy it. When I get some free time I'll do it myself and post some photos.

Old 07-14-2010, 08:56 AM

436 posts, read 952,032 times
Basically, corned beef should be excellent like Slyman's. Don't take advice from people like Wilson who have Cleveland envy and have never seen real corned beef.

Old 07-14-2010, 09:13 AM

KJ:

Here is a recipe for corned beef (and pastrami) that looks pretty good:

Cruft: How to make home made pastrami and corned beef
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati