U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2010, 09:33 PM

50 posts, read 143,039 times

Advertisements

Moving gay pride events draws praise, criticism | cincinnati.com | Cincinnati.Com

I find it hilarious that having a gay pride parade in downtown Cincinnati is a topic of debate. It's 2010 people, why is this still an issue! It's no wonder people from other areas rag on Cincinnati for being ultra conservative. I'm not gay and I have no plans to attend the parade, but then again I might, just to see how wild it gets.Anyway, I do not see why people are getting so bent out of shape over the parade. It's not like downtown is the only place families can go for the fourth since that seems to be the major issue of those opposing the parade.

After living here for a little while now, I can see what people are talking about when they say Cincinnati is a big city that behaves like a town. I think even if the parade were to be held downtown on a non-holiday weekend, it would still draw the same fire. I read some of the comments from the article and the homophobes and "religious" zealouts were coming out of the 'woodworks' to state their opinions.In most other cities in the U.S., a parade like this could be held any day of the week without the bat of an eye. I think it's actually a good move for the GLBT community of Cincinnati and it adds some needed zest and diversity to the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2010, 10:00 PM

1,130 posts, read 2,023,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan06 View Post
Moving gay pride events draws praise, criticism | cincinnati.com | Cincinnati.Com

After living here for a little while now, I can see what people are talking about when they say Cincinnati is a big city that behaves like a town. I think even if the parade were to be held downtown on a non-holiday weekend, it would still draw the same fire. I read some of the comments from the article and the homophobes and "religious" zealouts were coming out of the 'woodworks' to state their opinions.In most other cities in the U.S., a parade like this could be held any day of the week without the bat of an eye. I think it's actually a good move for the GLBT community of Cincinnati and it adds some needed zest and diversity to the city.
I think the fact that it's the 4th of July does make it more of issue for many people. Given the amount of acting out that often occurs at these things, some people find it a disrespectful way to celebrate our nation's birthday. I'm sure the organizers are well aware that the choice of date would get a rise out of people. Afterall, what would be the point of the parade if it didn't stir interest, both positive and negative? The fact that there is such a negative reaction is playing right into their hands, and I bet they love it.

I know some gay people who give these things a wide berth because of a fringe element that likes to show up just to get in people's faces and prove a point. They don't seem to feel that it does their cause much good, but of course they get labeled as some sort of closeted Uncle Tom because they don't buy into the more "exuberant" displays of gay pride.

Both sides need to give it a rest, if you ask me. The whole thing is pretty boring.

Old 07-02-2010, 01:15 AM

4,730 posts, read 10,933,946 times
Let's face it, downtown is a dead zone during the day on weekends. If not for this parade it would've been completely deserted on the fourth. The people who love all the controversy the most are the Chamber of Commerce types - "any publicity is good publicity." Participants, supportive persons, folks like the OP who want to see what all the fuss is about, and non-supportive persons alike all have money to spend. Some of that money's destined to be spent at stores, restaurants, etc downtown that day now.
These kinds of "pride" events draw hundreds of thousands of persons, of all "persuasions" and degrees of weirdness, in most of the major cities of the US. In the Northeast they've definitely evolved from making a political statement to just another excuse to party. But the statement still needs to be made in Cincinnati, where popular vote prevented anti-discrimination measures from even being considered until just a few years back. The fact that turnouts are much smaller there speaks to this. If your livelihood and personal safety depend on your having to keep a key aspect of your existence a secret, you think twice before showing up at something which draws attention to it. OTOH there are many people who are willing to throw caution to the winds if only for that one day. And those who conduct their lives openly anyway get a breath of fresh air with the strength in numbers these events bring. Of course most of the educational value will be lost, since the media will focus on the leather-outfitted guys and the cross-dressers and steer clear of the P & G guppies and PFLAG families. Then the "community values" opposition will latch onto the sensational photos and film clips as red meat for their followers. Tying a parade of "Sodomites " in with the Touchdown Jesus lightning strike will be a jackpot for them.
There are also plenty of people who kick up a fuss whenever Black Family Reunion time rolls around or there's a gospel music festival in town. "Why can't they do this in Avondale?" equates with "Why can't that be kept in Northside?" A whole lot of Cincinnati has some growing up to do.

Old 07-02-2010, 01:18 AM

2,887 posts, read 4,121,462 times
Atlanta had its gay pride over July 4th weekend 2 or 3 years ago and I don't think there were any problems with the date.

Old 07-02-2010, 04:40 AM

10,139 posts, read 22,414,398 times
I have no idea what is in store for the parade, but I did make the mistake of taking my nieces and nephews to Disney World on a three days that immediately followed "Gay Days" and there were a lot of persons who stayed over.

Frankly, it was pretty disgusting. And, it was disturbing for the children 5-11 to see. First, there was the attire. There were several persons in the park wearing thong bottoms where their entire a$$ was exposed, and their equipment hanging out in front. There was a lot of fish net that one could see right through - no underwear. A smaller contingent of lesbians with all the same issues. There were nipple clips, fake penises stuffed down into spandex bathing suits. There was the constant sexual touching. We stood in line for 45 minutes behind a couple, one of which had his hand down the front of the pants of his "partner" (obviously masturbating him). There was a lot of kissing with hands on the buttocks, down the pants etc. And then there are the buttons with the sayings mostly obscene.

Don't think for a second the children didn't notice, it was all they talked about.

I think the problem I see is that the gay pride events get hijacked by a segment of the gay activist community that portrays the community as a sex obsessed, irresponsible bunch of nuts. People can do what they want, but not around children. I would not go with children on account of my experiences.

Last edited by Wilson513; 07-02-2010 at 05:23 AM..

Old 07-02-2010, 06:04 AM

3,335 posts, read 5,727,944 times
I think if the parade is successful this year and proves to be a family-friendly event, that it will be welcomed and popular for years to come. I think the concerns come from a "fear of change" more than discrimination against gays.

Old 07-02-2010, 06:24 AM

50 posts, read 143,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by progmac View Post
I think if the parade is successful this year and proves to be a family-friendly event, that it will be welcomed and popular for years to come. I think the concerns come from a "fear of change" more than discrimination against gays.
'Family-friendly' gay pride parade, that's funny! Being family-friendly almost defeats the purpose of the event. Then again this is Cincinnati, so there's no telling. I wouldn't be surprised if it does turn out to be a family friendly event. If the event comes close to the 'wildness' that goes on at most gay pride events in other cities, the GLBT may face a lot of difficulty having it downtown next year.

It's not all that uncommon to find men performing oral sex on eachother out in the open at these events. But going back to what I said before, it's pretty hard for me to picture those kind of explicit acts being performed out in the open in high numbers at this event. Even though they were granted the event, in the back of their minds, they know what city they are in and the know the 'eyes' are watching.

Old 07-02-2010, 06:51 AM

174 posts, read 346,059 times
Wilson, you are 100% correct. I am not gay, nor do I plan to ever be, but if I was, I'd have a hard time being represented by these types of demonstrations.

I am a live and let live type of person...to a degree. I do have some friends that are gay, as I could not care less about the specifics of their sexual preferences. However, the behaviors that you described are repulsive and go beyond public acceptance and should not be allowed in public without consequence, whether the population is heterosexual or homosexual. It's quite disturbing.

Shouldn't the point of these parades be that they are promoting tolerance, acceptance and understanding? Instead, they often lead to more animosity because they become a demonstration for the disturbed and mentally ill. A very small percentage of the gay population often sets the standards of perception for the rest of the community.

I don't care what kind of organizational parade is being held, I find it distasteful to hold it on 4th of July.

Old 07-02-2010, 07:46 AM

269 posts, read 631,953 times
Goyguy pretty much summed up everything I was thinking AND more. I agree 100% with everything he said. I do not know why people are getting all huffy about the parade being held during the Fourth of July weekend. I think that's a great time to have the parade and more than likely, it will give downtown businesses a boost for the weekend. Some are acting (not necessarily on here) like the parade is being held on Easter weekend. Even then, I would not care, but I could understand those who would be offended. It's 4th of July weekend in a big city, why is this even a discussion? Oh yeah, it's Cincinnati!

Old 07-02-2010, 08:15 AM

621 posts, read 1,022,857 times
It's nice to see that people differ in their opinions on this without attacking one another. I personally share the views of those who are opposed to the parade - not because it's being held on the 4th, but simply because I think such public displays are inappropriate and distasteful. I'd feel that way if it was a "straight-pride" parade with the participants and crowd behaving in such a way. There is no need for the gay community to show off in such a manner. All it does is reinforces the stereotypical images that people have of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati