U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-22-2011, 01:57 PM

8,611 posts, read 12,225,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpipkins View Post
In Pittsburgh, we use vacation / personal days. The system would have free park and ride lots??

No they don't. They run errands at lunch and before and after work just like everyone else in this fast pace world. Of course, some people will like to think of Pittsburgh as these ashen faced men filing into a steel mill and filing out to wait for abus or a train at the whistle. But it ain't so. Mom swings by the day care place and picks up the baby, goes through the drive though and gets some dinner and stops by the high school to pick another one up from band practice. And dad is working out of a different office this week and had an afternoon appointment with a client out of the office.

But, there are no doubt a crowd of petulant college sponges wanting to ride downtown to get some sushi and go to an indie film. Good for them. They can walk.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2011, 02:18 PM

747 posts, read 611,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
Wow, are you really that soft? You should try taking the Orange Line from Midway into the Loop if you really want to see Chicago's finest. The Blue Line from O'Hare has nothing on the Orange.

But your comment seems common among a lot of rail naysayers. It seems that they fear riding alongside the poor, and they certainly don't want the infrastructure in place that allows the poor to move out in their direction.

I'm not here to defend the streetcar or light rail per se. I just had to crack on this statement. There's pros and cons to everything. Public transport does mean that us middle- and upper-income folks must rub elbows with the poor and dregs of society. In places like Chicago, the alternative is gridlock. Give me the Blue Line over gridlock on the Kennedy Expressway or some jerk Chicago cabbie anyday. But maybe most in Cincy feel otherwise. Plus, Cincy doesn't have near the gridlock issues that Chicago has.
In addition to light rail, Pittsburgh and its eastern suburbs are serviced by the Martin Luther King Jr. East Busway. It's an at or above grade limited access highway for buses only. It has a main bus (EBA) that servises all stops along the line and does a loop through downtown Pittsburgh. During rush hour it runs every 3-5 minutes. Off peak it runs every 10-15 minutes. This is the most popular line (due to large and free park and ride lots) of the entire port authority system. The EBO sevices the Oakland (university/medical center) and uptown (Mercy Hospital and Duquesne University) sections of the city. Express buses companies from other counties use this as well (no stopping) to avoid the parkways. Pittsburghs light rail, East, South and West busways move a large amount of people daily. This takes an enormous amount of traffic and pollution off of Pittsburgh's narrow 19th century streets. Upper, Middle, and Lower class citizens of every race travel together with no issues. It's better than paying to park ($ 17.00 per day in my building) in Downtown Pittsburgh and have to sit at a tunnel for 30 - 45 min. in the evening.

Old 03-22-2011, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
No they don't. They run errands at lunch and before and after work just like everyone else in this fast pace world. Of course, some people will like to think of Pittsburgh as these ashen faced men filing into a steel mill and filing out to wait for abus or a train at the whistle. But it ain't so. Mom swings by the day care place and picks up the baby, goes through the drive though and gets some dinner and stops by the high school to pick another one up from band practice. And dad is working out of a different office this week and had an afternoon appointment with a client out of the office.

But, there are no doubt a crowd of petulant college sponges wanting to ride downtown to get some sushi and go to an indie film. Good for them. They can walk.

I am a married father of two that lives on the out skirts of the city, directly next to the suburb of Penn Hills. I get my children ready in the morning @ 6:15 am. Drop them off at the school bus stop @ 7:15am. I then get myself ready for my bus @ 8:20 am. Dropped off @ the busway @ 8:30am. Hop the EBA @ 8:35 and arrive @ my stop in downtown Pittsburgh by 8:50am (while drivers are backed up at the Squirrel Hill Tunnel section of I 376) and work until 5:30pm. My wife who leaves early in the morning picks the kids up @ 3:30 or 5:30. I get picked up @ the park and ride @ 5:50pm. I take the kids to football/soccer/baseball practice by 6:00pm depending on the season.

You are full of excuses. You MUST connect the urban center. Keep in mind that Pittsburgh's topography has more hills, peaks and valleys than Cincy.

Old 03-22-2011, 03:25 PM

2,485 posts, read 2,084,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
I find it fascinating how some people always p*ss their pants when it comes to riding public transportation, as if everyone who rides it is out to rob, rape, or murder you. I've ridden Chicago's trains many times and never had a single issue, no matter what the people looked like. Then again, I don't assume everyone's out to get me.
Those would be the suburban conservative Republicans, who would rather no one threaten the future of their gas-guzzling SUVs and highway exit neighborhoods.

Old 03-22-2011, 04:07 PM

Quote:

You MUST connect the urban center. Keep in mind that Pittsburgh's topography has more hills, peaks and valleys than Cincy.

I take it you have not visited Cincinnati?

Old 03-23-2011, 03:43 AM
Yac

4,324 posts, read 3,655,718 times
Before this thread turns ugly, remember to keep calm and on topic.
Yac.

Old 03-23-2011, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Keep in mind that Pittsburgh's topography has more hills, peaks and valleys than Cincy.
Quote:
I take it you have not visited Cincinnati?

Let me do my part to raise the level of dialogue here.

Pip, Cincinnati is called the City of Seven Hills" for a reason. It is expremely hilly here. In fact, the Ordovician Glacier that scraped most of the areas around here as flat as a pancake stopped about 50 miles north of Cincinnati and left a big hilly mess here. That's why everything in Cincinnati starts with a "mount" before it, like Mt. Lookout, Mt Adams, Mt. Echo, Mt Airy, etc.

Old 03-23-2011, 08:43 AM

Quote:

Pip, Cincinnati is called the City of Seven Hills" for a reason. It is expremely hilly here. In fact, the Ordovician Glacier that scraped most of the areas around here as flat as a pancake stopped about 50 miles north of Cincinnati and left a big hilly mess here. That's why everything in Cincinnati starts with a "mount" before it, like Mt. Lookout, Mt Adams, Mt. Echo, Mt Airy, etc.

My father is from Dayton Ohio and I am familiar with Cincy and its topography. Cincy has lots of hills and looks very similar to Pittsburgh. I was not being rude when I said that Pittsburgh has greater peaks and valleys. Alot of our sections of the city are named Mt. and Hill also.(Mount Washington, Mt Lebanon, Mt Pleasant, Penn Hills, East Hills, South Hills, North hills. Most of our highways into the city cannot navigate the Mt.'s. This is why Pittsburgh's inner city interstates have tunnels (Squirrel Hill and Fort Pitt) It is easier to go through than around a steep terrain. What I was trying to say was that if it can be done in Pittsburgh, It can happen for you also. No disrespect....

Old 03-23-2011, 08:50 AM

1,573 posts, read 1,370,962 times
Lightbulb Heyyy Wilson...Just A Couple Things

Quote:

1) Where is Wilson1010, and what did you do with him?

2) What's a 'petulant college sponge'? Is it more educated than a 'Mr Clean Sponge', and will it get my tub and shower clean any faster?

3) I gotta weigh in on the rail thingie here...I'm from Cleveland originally, where we had both light and heavy rail, and a not-too-bad bus sytem...I've visited Pittsburgh quite a few times, and have ridden their buses and rail system---I'll give them both about a 7.5 to 8 out of 10...

That being said, I kinda wish we had some kind of rail here in Cincinnati/SW Ohio...if not a streetcar, then maybe light rail of some kind...WPipkins hit a good one when he spoke about linking the urban core---I'd LOVE to be able to get from point A to point B faster, especially during football and baseball season...also, I'd like to be able to get to stuff downtown and elsewhere in the city, and not be a prisoner in/of my car all the time...

And I gotta give ya another LOL moment here...I'm not a petulant college sponge, or even a Mr Clean Sponge...I'm just a 50-something guy who doesn't mind walking, but would like the option of not having to once in a while

To close, I address this to all who may read this post: why in the world does EVERYTHING boil down to politics, or race, for cryin' out loud? Look here---Republicans/conservatives are NOT ALL a bunch of evil stuffed-shirts...Democrats/liberals are NOT ALL Prius-driving, clueless tree-huggers...and blacks, whites, and everybody else should just shut the hell up sometimes and try being civil, instead of always barking at each other like a pack of rabid dogs...just sayin'

Old 03-23-2011, 09:03 AM

8,705 posts, read 6,829,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
Wow, are you really that soft? You should try taking the Orange Line from Midway into the Loop if you really want to see Chicago's finest. The Blue Line from O'Hare has nothing on the Orange.

But your comment seems common among a lot of rail naysayers. It seems that they fear riding alongside the poor, and they certainly don't want the infrastructure in place that allows the poor to move out in their direction.
I guess you didn't read my first comment about riding the trains in Japan. You want to talk about poor, the poor in Japan make ours look rich as they have very little government subsidy for anything. But over my years of traveling there I believe I have identified the major difference. Japan is a homogeneous society, they are virtually all Japanese with very little immigration, which has existed for thousands of years. So they not only look and speak alike, but are alike in almost every way. The crowded environment also contributes to this. If they became adversarial the result would be pure chaos. You will see some of this in the reaction to the recent natural disaster of the earthquake and tsunami. Despite WWII we could learn a lot from the Japanese.

My comments about my one and only trip on the Chicago Subway had absolutely nothing to do with the poor. The simple fact is I became concerned for my safety. During the route, elements boarded the train which I frankly thought were looking for an easy roll. You don't have to be a genius to differentiate between peaceful people and roudy, gang-types, as their gestures, language, etc. will be a good clue. I was immediately aware of the uneasiness on the train, including among the poorer riders. Intimidation knows few boundaries. This was the reason I bailed at the first opportunity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati