Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 03:04 PM

2,886 posts, read 4,950,659 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montrell View Post
The first ride people take on it after dark, will likely be their last ride they take on it after dark.
I personally can't predict what the ridership's going to be, but what you said mirror's my husband's comment that once out-of-towners get a look at who's riding it, they won't be able to get away fast enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2010, 06:27 PM

1,130 posts, read 2,528,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrm2811 View Post
Congratulations Cincy. In the meantime, checkout the most successful streetcar so far, in Portland.
Portland Streetcar
Ugh, I am so sick of having my nose rubbed in Portland. If I wanted to live in Portland, I would move there. This is CINCINNATI!

Old 07-09-2010, 06:35 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,755,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t45209 View Post
Ugh, I am so sick of having my nose rubbed in Portland. If I wanted to live in Portland, I would move there. This is CINCINNATI!
The Portland Modal is used all over the country , since it has been successful. If you city is successful will rename it the "Cincinnati model"

Old 07-09-2010, 06:35 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,354,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t45209 View Post
Portland is the most successful street rail in the country. First, it's nothing like what is coming here. Second, they still have to subsidize $.60 on the dollar to ride people around. They put it in in the middle of a housing and business boom in Portland and every advocate for these silly trains credits the train for the boom. Typical.

Old 07-09-2010, 06:37 PM

1,130 posts, read 2,528,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montrell View Post
No way the majority of UC students do this. How in the world does filling up 1 or 2 bars downtown equate to the majority of students?

Downtown compared to what it was even a decade ago is dead. Nightlife/Club Scene is a perfect example.

Today you have Cadillac Ranch, Black Finn and Lodge Bar. Even Sully's had to recently close down because of lack of business.

10 years ago downtown had actual nightclubs all over the place like Have a Nice Day Cafe, Elektra, Oscar's, Banana Joe's, Bar Cincinnati, Purgatory, Cell Block among others.
Have to take exception to a couple of points here. 1) I doubt the cougars that hang out at Cadillac Ranch go to UC. 2) The real reason Sully's went out of business had nothing to do with lack of business...it was lousy management that ran the place into the ground. People who worked there have some horror stories.

Do agree that the Main Street of the mid 1990s is sorely missed, although why you picked the chain bars is beyond me. Much preferred Japp's, Westminster's, Jefferson Hall, Main Street Brewery (before it became Jump), Neon's, Fritz's, The Lab, Sycamore Gardens (pre Elektra), Rhino's, Barrell House, the Diner, Courtyard Cafe. The only place left down there is the appropriately named Mr Pitiful's...oh, and the recently re-opened, but terribly neglected Neon's Unplugged.

Old 07-09-2010, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
Portland is the most successful street rail in the country. First, it's nothing like what is coming here. Second, they still have to subsidize $.60 on the dollar to ride people around. They put it in in the middle of a housing and business boom in Portland and every advocate for these silly trains credits the train for the boom. Typical.
Well , its the true. Its called TOD and it happens with every new Transitline. You subsidize roads and don't seem to care about that. The Train didn't cause the boom , location did. But the Train attracted alot more Development then anyone predicted.

Old 07-09-2010, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Well , its the true. Its called TOD and it happens with every new Transitline. You subsidize roads and don't seem to care about that. The Train didn't cause the boom , location did. But the Train attracted alot more Development then anyone predicted.
At the very most optimistic view, the train caused the location of some of the Portland development boom to be directed where the train went. But, what the conditions were in Portland was exactly the opposite of the Cincinnati situation. In Portland, they ran the train to an area that was ripe for development, with plenty of undeveloped housing stock and no adverse conditions such as drug violence and crime.

Most all of the train area in Cincinnati is where: 1) no development is possible (central downtown) 2) development already done (Gateway) and 3) no development likely (McMicken to the Zoo indigenous vermin everywhere). Further, Cincinnati is shrinking for reasons that have nothing to do with the lack of entertainment downtown. Portland was a boom town. IMO the train had nothing to do with that except that prosperous people there pat themselves on the back for wisely spending the 3 billion dollars spent. It and no other urban train will ever be cost effective. But Cincinnati's will be worse: it won't even help the commuters or the traffic situation. Yuck!

Old 07-09-2010, 07:26 PM

Its a starter system , its to get people around the city. A City of your size shouldn't have any reason not to have Transit. Its ridiculous in the 21st Century that people are still against these projects. It puzzles me to be honest , yet you guys are open to building more giant freeways.

Ballot Measures Force Commuters to Evaluate Transit Projects First-Hand « The Transport Politic

Cincinnati's Riverfront Transit Center Attracts Criticism « The Transport Politic

Old 07-09-2010, 07:30 PM

Well, you see the map. It goes from downtown to nowhere on a route that no one would take and no one needs to take except for a ride on the trolley.

Old 07-09-2010, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
Well, you see the map. It goes from downtown to nowhere on a route that no one would take and no one needs to take except for a ride on the trolley.
How do you know that ? You don't , the system is designed fine , although it be a bit bigger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati