Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2010, 12:51 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,702,627 times

Advertisements

Why would Cincinnati ever want to be a clone of either NYC or Seattle, or Portland, or anyplace else for that matter? Cincinnati has some very strong history and culture behind it, and some local landmarks which thrive here when they would fail anywhere else.

Some of the references, like provincial really amuse me. Is province or provincial meant to denote we are Real Hicks?

I certainly hope Cincinnati remains 20 years behind the times, so I can live out my remaining days in peace.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2010, 03:05 PM

682 posts, read 1,622,472 times
We chose Cincinnati because its nice to know what happens next and to be sure most "locals' have no clue what will happen next. Cincinnati has incredible architecture and is beginning to gain a national reputation for it. At the same time people also realize this city govenment has no clue what that asset is really worth and they continue to demo it using federal stimulus monies rather than redevelop it as most "progressive' cities do.

Cincinnati, the city, (not the burbs), boils down to 3 groups:

First: 4th generation welfare types who have no hope and are perfectly ok with living on the dole and have little ambition to do anything else because it has been passed down to them. They complain about not getting enough. They are responsible for the lions share of crime in this city. They are finding themselves getting pushed farther and farther out of the Urban core to the townships (same thing has already happened in cities like Indy and Louisville 10 years ago).

Second: Life time Cincinnatians who are on "workfare". Making to them what seems like a decent living but have no clue how people live in other cities This group constantly complain about the welfare class although they are maybe a paycheck or two away from it themselves. This is the "what high school did you go to group" . They have blinders on and do not see whats happening in OTR and other urban neighborhoods and in a few years when property values are through the roof will scratch their head and ask why anyone would pay that much to live in that neighborhood. They will never accept Cincinnati as a progressice multicultural city and will likely move because they just can't handle change of any kind.

Third: What I call the "New Urbanists' made up of 20 somethings and preservationists who have moved here from other cities, who see the city for its potential. This is a rapidly growing group of profesionals and business owners who could live anywhere they want and see Cincinnati for its potential. They are tech and social network savy and have organizational and lobbying skills. They are dragging this city into this century and if they can gain control of the council in the next few election cycles (which I think they will do), the "back door" politics of Cincinnati may come to an end and this city will , despite itself, become a "first class city".

If you read the boards, you can see it happening already. The 'old guard' of Cincinnati is being replaced by "new energy" and they are clueless its happening.

Last edited by restorationconsultant; 07-11-2010 at 03:11 PM.. Reason: more info

Old 07-11-2010, 03:47 PM

572 posts, read 1,359,745 times
Default what group do we belong to?

What group do the posters here belong to? Or do we get our own little demographic?!

Old 07-11-2010, 04:12 PM

682 posts, read 1,622,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skippercollector View Post
What group do the posters here belong to? Or do we get our own little demographic?!
I think the demographic depends on the poster.

Old 07-11-2010, 04:18 PM

2,106 posts, read 6,607,995 times
I'd say Mark Twains quotes are about 120 years behind.

Old 07-11-2010, 07:05 PM

50 posts, read 177,562 times
I would 10 years is more like it. 20 is a bit of a stretch. There are towns in upstate NY that could easily qualify as being 20 years behind, but that's another topic. Given the size and stature of Cincinnati, it baffles me as to why Cincinnati is so conservative. Previously, I thought it was it's proximity to Kentucky, but even Louisville seems to be more progressive and liberal than Cincinnati. Louisville is also more bike friendly, there are not even any bike lanes in downtown Cincinnati.Even when I just travel to cities in the region such as Louisville, Indy, and Columbus, it makes me realize what Cincinnati is lacking. For those who do any kind of traveling, it is not hard to see that Cincinnati definitely lags behind most large cities.

The natives may say otherwise, but most transplants and those who have lived in other cities usually agree.

Old 07-12-2010, 08:04 AM

41,737 posts, read 74,692,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastcountryboy View Post
Mark Twain (I think it was Mark Twain) once said that he "would like to be in Cininnati when the world ends because Cincinnati is about 20 years behind".

Is there still a feeling such as this about your city? Just curious.
Behind what?? I've always wondered about that quote ... Everything is relative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skippercollector View Post
The enlightened, good-sense-of-humor demographic, of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
Some of the references, like provincial really amuse me. Is province or provincial meant to denote we are Real Hicks?
Huh. You want provincial, come to Philadelphia. No one here has been anywhere else, except the Poconos or the Jersey shore. Maybe they've been to New York or DC. Nor do they care to go anywhere else; everything is just perfect the way it is.

"Provincial" is not limited to any one geographic location.

Old 07-12-2010, 08:33 AM

1,781 posts, read 2,671,303 times
Lightbulb KJ, Can I Disagree With You Here?

Quote:
Why would Cincinnati ever want to be a clone of either NYC or Seattle, or Portland, or anyplace else for that matter? Cincinnati has some very strong history and culture behind it, and some local landmarks which thrive here when they would fail anywhere else.

I certainly hope Cincinnati remains 20 years behind the times, so I can live out my remaining days in peace.
But only just a little...I kinda like the mix of the old, tried and true, and the new vibrancy of youth...the former, like you, gives me a sense of comfort, while the latter serves to arouse my curiosity, and sometimes even energizes me...

I like being able to have stuff around me that I can readily identify (my conservative side), but I (at 54) still have enough curiosity to try something new (the youth thing)...and I've actually LIKED some of the new stores, restaurants, and stuff that are springing up around the area...anyone who says that there's 'nothing to do' in this area (lol...not you KJ) simply isn't looking hard enough!

Cincinnati is still quite conservative in some ways---this much is true, and there are folks who like it that way...but it's nowhere near as conservative as it was say, 15-20 years ago, and the influx of youthful energy combined with its' conservative bones, makes for an interesting mix

Old 07-12-2010, 08:59 AM

436 posts, read 947,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastcountryboy View Post
Mark Twain (I think it was Mark Twain) once said that he "would like to be in Cininnati when the world ends because Cincinnati is about 20 years behind".

Is there still a feeling such as this about your city? Just curious.
Yeah, Cincy is still decent, by and large, and still retains its feeling of being a real American city.

Cincy could be stuck in 1927, for eternity, if I had a say in the matter.

Old 07-12-2010, 09:02 AM

436 posts, read 947,131 times
Quote:
If you don't like the conservatism which prevails in Cincy, then please go somewhere else. Most of born and raised here like it just fine.
Conservatism is great as long as it means keeping the government small and keeping governmental intrusion out of your neighbor's business.

When "conservatism" means meddling in other people's affairs and telling them how to live, that's just a different type of liberal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati