U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 07:04 PM

7 posts, read 10,923 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

Looking to move somewhere in Warren County. Any idea's on the best places to raise a family. I am looking for quiet neighborhoods with a great school system, but with a decent town population 30K-60K. Any help or suggestions about nightlife, shopping, etc. would be extremely helpful.

I also have mixed idea's about the cincy area as some say it's terrible and some gave it ok remarks. Your honest opinion is appreciated! Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2010, 07:28 PM

10,139 posts, read 22,404,584 times
I think Mason is a great place. Or Lebanon.

Old 08-03-2010, 09:35 PM

Default Thanks Wilson!

How far are those two towns from Cinci?

Old 08-03-2010, 09:43 PM

10,139 posts, read 22,404,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisboa View Post
How far are those two towns from Cinci?

Mason is a typical suburban commute from Cincinnati. Its about 20 miles up I 71 and takes about 30 minutes from downtown. Lebanon is a little far to commute for my tastes. Its another 10 minutes or so. Why Warren County if you are working in Cincinnati? There are a lot of good places to live closer in to the city. Cost wise, Mariemont is about the same as Mason and has great schools and a 15 minute commute.

Old 08-04-2010, 07:44 AM

3,335 posts, read 5,725,886 times
working downtown, the commute to Mason will get old fast; or, it would for me. It is probably a door-to-door commute of more than forty minutes, depending on where your office is downtown and how far you live from the interstate entrance ramp. But it could be worse, traffic on 71 isn't too bad. There are also lots of nice, older communities closer to the city and within the city itself. Mariemont, Wyoming, Reading, Montgomery, Madeira are all good choices outside of the city proper. There are lots of choices within the city too.

Old 08-04-2010, 10:28 AM

9,259 posts, read 13,358,349 times
I have to agree with some of the comments so far. As any regular reader of this forum knows, I am a Mason resident - moved here 35 years ago from Madeira. At that time I worked in Norwood, the current site of Rookwood Commons. Our old power house is now a Don Pablos restaurant.

Why did I move to Mason? Very simply - price. By that time, Madeira was built-out and what little land was available had much more expensive houses being built. We have a split age family, almost 15 years difference. The youngest one was on the way and my wife proclaimed we needed a 5-bedroom house. I actually found one in Mason I felt I could afford. Sold the house in Madeira for 2.9 times original purchase over 13 years. Almost moved to Mason for free.

For several years I did the commute to Norwood. Back than you rarely saw a car North of I-275. Then suddenly the developers discovered Mason, and at that time the cheap land prices. Traffic began to build. I lucked out in that the company I worked for made a deal to sell the original property in Norwood, where Rookwood Commons now is, and moved to a smaller but more updated facility right here in Mason, 5 minutes from my house.

I look at Mason, and to the East, West Chester and Liberty Townships in Butler Co. and go wow! Yes, this is urban sprawl at its best. But also, they have some of the best rated school systems in the state.

So I look around and wonder what I would do today. Mason is a good 30 minute commute from downtown (20 mile marker). Lebanon is more than that (Mason to Lebanon is 8 miles, on the direct route Ohio 42). By the time you negotiate I-71 and then back to the residential areas of Lebanon I believe you are looking at a 45 minute commute, more than I would want every day, and that is only under good weather/highway conditions.

Old 08-04-2010, 12:50 PM

Default Warren County

Hi All,

Thank you very much for all the details. I apologize for what I believe is a misunderstanding. My current company has an office in Loveland which is why I was asking about Warren County. The reason why I wondered on the Cincinnati distance was because of all the negative feedback on safety.

I have been doing some research on the towns mentioned; Mason and lebanon. Mason seems to be a great town. I'm coming from the Northeast which comes with it's pro's and con's. I am used to living in a vibrant town(30K-60K population) with the restaurants, big box stores, mega plex cinemas, etc. I like a town that's busy, but not hectic, if that makes sense.

I'm trying to get a feel for the area, such as: town center for picnics, night life (Cafes), outdoor activities (Camp resorts). Anything that can provide me with a picture of what life in Mason , Ohio is like would be very helpful.

My family is looking to make a change, but not exactly 180 degrees.

Thank you again!!!

Old 08-04-2010, 01:03 PM

3,335 posts, read 5,725,886 times
Oh, just live in Loveland ! Loveland is a super nice community and you really can't beat the commute. I don't know why you would put yourself driving from Mason or Lebanon when you could just live in Loveland. It has many nice areas and good character. If it was me, I'd be rocking the reverse commute from Blue Ash, Montgomery, or Deer Park so I could be a little closer to Cincinnati and be more convenient to shopping, entertainment, sports, downtown events etc.

Regarding safety, though most of the city is safe, there are issues in some pockets and also some of the townships have some issues, but I don't see how it will affect you at all since you don't plan to live or work in the city.

Last edited by progmac; 08-04-2010 at 01:11 PM..

Old 08-04-2010, 01:51 PM

621 posts, read 1,022,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
I have to agree with some of the comments so far. As any regular reader of this forum knows, I am a Mason resident - moved here 35 years ago from Madeira. At that time I worked in Norwood, the current site of Rookwood Commons. Our old power house is now a Don Pablos restaurant.
Power house?? LOL. Shows how much I know...I thought that building was part of the old LeBlond Makino factory.

Pssst.....West Chester and Liberty are to the west, not east.

Old 08-04-2010, 02:00 PM

9,259 posts, read 13,358,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyspider View Post
Power house?? LOL. Shows how much I know...I thought that building was part of the old LeBlond Makino factory.

Pssst.....West Chester and Liberty are to the west, not east.
Yes, but if you look closely you will see it is the building where the power for the factory was generated, both electricity and steam for heat. Used to be one humongous coal pile on the outside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati