Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2010, 07:36 PM

575 posts, read 1,370,372 times

Advertisements

I started college in 1979. At that time, you could go into discos at the age of 18. My friends all loved disco, but I never developed an appreciation for it. But I went out with them a lot, and the place that was most popular was Lighthouse in Clifton, followed by Tomorrow's downtown and what I think was called the Conservatory in Newport?/Covington?.
In the late 80s a bunch of them got into country music and then they all started going to the Silver Saddle in Mt. Healthy.
Poor me. In the 80s I got into surf, punk, alternative and oldies. There were a lot of radio stations that played those genres in the 80s, but there were no nightclubs that featured those styles of music.
My friends still talk nostalgically about Lighthouse and Silver Saddle and they never seem to notice that I never join in the conversation then!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2010, 07:17 PM

577 posts, read 1,280,053 times
^
For Punk, there was the Jockey Club in Newport. I never had a chance to go there - it was gone before I moved here but I have heard a lot of stories about it.

Old 02-17-2011, 06:28 AM

1 posts, read 48,355 times
Yo, the 90's were the ish in Cincinnati...I lived @ Burgundy's/PrimeTime during the 90's. I was @ the peak of my dancing and that was the place to showcase...lot's of battles! I danced for a group named Rythym Storm. There was Cooters across the street, Have a Nice Day Cafe, Oscars in Longworth Hall, Jennys in Mason on Rt. 42..but Burgundy's/PrimeTime was the spot, I lived in that joint from Wednesday to Saturday...great times! Met alot of people there..some of my best friends...will always remember those times!

Clint "Eastwood"...aka "Woodstock" Sawyer

Peace....

Old 08-05-2011, 03:14 PM

2 posts, read 56,263 times
Oh my The Metro, what fun was had there in the mid 80's. Can anyone tell me the name of the club that was once The Lighthouse and Reflections in the 70's? Went there in 88 but can't remember the name!

Old 08-05-2011, 06:07 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,462,852 times
Jeff Ruby opened the Precinct in 1981. He had a great idea to start things off with a bang: invite the Bengals Cheerleaders (they were way better looking back then) over for free drinks, etc. after their workout at the Nippert YMCA across the street. Twice a week, there was a line a half block long of guys wanting to get into the elite little nightclub o the second floor. Very smart of Jeff.

The Islands was opened in 1983 and immediately became the hot spot for all things decadent. It was after all a time when a debate raged as to whether powdered cocaine was actually addictive. Haha! I guess history sorted that out.

Between the Conservatory, the Glass, Lucy's and The Islands, The downtown scene was one decadent party after another for the next decade.

Old 09-01-2011, 12:26 PM

1 posts, read 47,473 times
I tried to find that place sometime after 2000 but I couldn't find 2nd street, so I thought they were on 3rd street. That area looked different then I asked a friend that went to UC and he said the area flooded. I remember the patio that was like a green house. Is those building all gone?

Old 09-01-2011, 01:58 PM

1,248 posts, read 3,508,090 times
All the bars on Second Street were torn down to make way for Paul Brown Stadium.

Despite its general awfulness, I will always have a soft spot for Riverfront Stadium and summers spent watching Reds games from the top six. If I remember correctly, you could get tickets up there for as cheap as $3.50 or $5.00 in the early 1990s. I was seven when the Reds went wire-to-wire in 1990 and barely remember when the Bengals were actually good.

I was also in attendance for the Opening Day Game of 1996 when the umpire died. Nothing quite as creepy as a hush falling over a stadium of 50,000 people. My dad worked for WLW at the time, so I spent the rest of the afternoon with him outside the stadium as he interviewed fans.

Old 09-01-2011, 07:22 PM

7,074 posts, read 8,934,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klg2005 View Post
Can anyone tell me the name of the club that was once The Lighthouse and Reflections in the 70's? Went there in 88 but can't remember the name!
If I remember right it was the club (at Calhoun & Vine) that became Burgundy's in 1983. It has since been demolished along with all the other places I hung out at when I went to UC (Uncle Woody's, Moose's, Inner Circle, etc). The area is a lot different than what I remember.

Campus Rendezvous / Old Chicago Pizza I miss the most, spent a lot of nights getting trashed there on $1.95 pitchers of beer.

Old 09-02-2011, 07:30 AM

279 posts, read 717,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyenative01 View Post
All the bars on Second Street were torn down to make way for Paul Brown Stadium.

Despite its general awfulness, I will always have a soft spot for Riverfront Stadium and summers spent watching Reds games from the top six. If I remember correctly, you could get tickets up there for as cheap as $3.50 or $5.00 in the early 1990s. I was seven when the Reds went wire-to-wire in 1990 and barely remember when the Bengals were actually good.

I was also in attendance for the Opening Day Game of 1996 when the umpire died. Nothing quite as creepy as a hush falling over a stadium of 50,000 people. My dad worked for WLW at the time, so I spent the rest of the afternoon with him outside the stadium as he interviewed fans.
I agree about Riverfront, I have lots of good memories. I was born in 1984, so I was a wee chap when the Reds won the WS but I do remember. I believe the top 6 seats were actually a flat $3...what a bargain. Hell, prices are still great for Reds games.

I too was at Opening Day when the ump died...unforgetable.

Old 09-02-2011, 11:51 AM

3,336 posts, read 6,939,563 times

Riverfront stadium, picture from thrift store.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
View detailed profiles of: