U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
Old 02-13-2010, 12:57 PM
 
18 posts, read 29,993 times
Reputation: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by ED MOSER View Post
No, not a bank. It's a new pharmacy, which moved out of the shopping center after many years. And the fire. happened in 3 places at once,
I understand, so the insurance never paid off. The land belonged to the
shopping center and was sold off. Originally, the whole place had been a
plant nursery and is shown on a bicentennial plaque in front of La Rosas'.
Coleen, the last owner/operator of Ron's moved to Kentucky and opened
a bar there. A couple years later, she died from breast cancer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-20-2010, 08:57 PM
 
9 posts, read 17,032 times
Reputation: 10
I thought Davids was where the Hitching post used to be but that might have been Duffs, Later it was Harry J's and now it is called Homer's. Do you remember the amusement park on US-42 I think it was called Pee Wee Valley I remember a number of birthday partys there when I was growing up in Mason. The Closets White Castles was in Reading on 42 too and there was a Stamp redemption center I think next to the IGA just south of the Glass Barn. I wonder if the hootch story is true I know they carried Anchor Hocking which is made in Lancaster Ohio not far from New Straitsville which was known for turning out moonshine and still has a festival every Memorial weekend to celebrate it's moonshine history.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-21-2010, 10:27 AM
 
257 posts, read 863,665 times
Reputation: 98
Default David's Buffet

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerwyddi View Post
I thought Davids was where the Hitching post used to be but that might have been Duffs, Later it was Harry J's and now it is called Homer's. Do you remember the amusement park on US-42 I think it was called Pee Wee Valley I remember a number of birthday partys there when I was growing up in Mason.
David's Buffet was north of Bypass 50, in Sharonville. Duff's was south of it, probably by the same distance. There was another buffet out that way called The Colonel's - may have been in the building eventually taken over by Duff's.

If you grew up in Mason, you probably remember the Dinner Bell restaurant, across the street from the Duds In Suds. US 42 is probably no longer called Reading Road by that point, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-21-2010, 01:05 PM
 
Location: Cambridge, MA
3,913 posts, read 6,033,203 times
Reputation: 4419
Now that this thread's finally left Roselawn, LOL...
Reading Rd runs directly north through Sharonville, past an A & W root beer drive-in (I'd be shocked if it still exists) to the Butler County line whereupon it's known as Cincinnati-Dayton Rd. US 25 once parted from US 42 at the edge of downtown Sharonville, after accompanying it all the way from the Ohio River, to continue on to Detroit and beyond. It still exists along its original route from Covington southward all the way to Georgia, but sometime during the '70s Michigan's and Ohio's governments decided to have it killed. US 42 still meanders to the west of Columbus before ending in Cleveland, though. From the fork in the road in Sharonville to the county line, it's called Cincinnati-Lebanon Rd on maps but known simply as "42" to everybody. Once in Butler County, it does take on the name Reading Rd again. That's why the Reading Rd of Hamilton County transitions to "Cincinnati-Dayton," aka "Cin-Day."

[They say this cat goyguy's a nerdy mutha..."SHUT'CHO MOUF'!"]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-21-2010, 10:22 PM
 
84 posts, read 120,885 times
Reputation: 40
GG - The A & W still exists on Old Reading Road in Sharonville but it is now simply called "The Root Beer Stand". Same great root beer and chili dogs and the loyal clientele love the long standing owners!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-02-2010, 11:49 AM
 
22 posts, read 60,573 times
Reputation: 22
Default Make A U-Turn Back To Reading

Before this forum drifts too far outside Hamilton County, let's take a U-turn back south into Reading. I recall a restaurant on the east side of Reading Road in the 1950s named Uncle Bulgy's Steakhouse. I rode by it many times and was in there once with my family. My recollection is that it was very plain---linoleum floor and Formica tables. And it wasn't very big. I seem to remember the "kitchen" was at the back and was not enclosed. But it was elevated several feet above the floor of the dining area. I seem to remember a fat guy (probably Uncle Bulgy, himself) wearing his white toke and working the grill, perspiration dripping off him, maybe to help season the steaks. The grill was situated at the front of the food prep area so that Uncle Bulgy was facing the front of the restaurant practically right above the tables nearest to him.

On the rare occasions I drive by there now, I try to place where that restaurant was located. My best thought it was somewhere in that first block north of Benson Street. Any rememberances or ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-02-2010, 07:10 PM
 
18 posts, read 29,993 times
Reputation: 17
Default Missing Speedway

Haven't seen any reference to it yet but there was a very highly-banked
1/4 mile race track on the southwest corner of Reading and Kemper(?)
back around 51-52. Don't know when it was torn out but some guys from
Roselawn used to ride our stiff-hub Paramount racers out there to train
for continous high speed running. We thought we could make it into
Olympic contention but that somehow fizzled out.

I remember running close behind a stock car one day at close to 6o (according to the driver) but that seemed pointless and was pretty scary.

Fellow named Bill Lapthorn put the deal together and he can still be seen
cycling around Roselawn, downtown, Carthage or wherever on a very ratty looking multi-speed bike. Bill lives in Golf Manor and must be about
74 by now, possibly a little older. Buried in a box somewhere I've got a
photo of myself at the time, looking somewhat trimmer.




Quote:
Originally Posted by goyguy View Post
Now that this thread's finally left Roselawn, LOL...
Reading Rd runs directly north through Sharonville, past an A & W root beer drive-in (I'd be shocked if it still exists) to the Butler County line whereupon it's known as Cincinnati-Dayton Rd. US 25 once parted from US 42 at the edge of downtown Sharonville, after accompanying it all the way from the Ohio River, to continue on to Detroit and beyond. It still exists along its original route from Covington southward all the way to Georgia, but sometime during the '70s Michigan's and Ohio's governments decided to have it killed. US 42 still meanders to the west of Columbus before ending in Cleveland, though. From the fork in the road in Sharonville to the county line, it's called Cincinnati-Lebanon Rd on maps but known simply as "42" to everybody. Once in Butler County, it does take on the name Reading Rd again. That's why the Reading Rd of Hamilton County transitions to "Cincinnati-Dayton," aka "Cin-Day."

[They say this cat goyguy's a nerdy mutha..."SHUT'CHO MOUF'!"]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2010, 05:03 AM
 
Location: Mason, OH
8,638 posts, read 6,294,896 times
Reputation: 1693
As Reading Rd meanders north of Sharonville through Mason and on to Lebanon in Warren County, a portion of it in Mason is again signed Reading Rd. A short section becomes Main St in Mason. Other than these sections the locals simply call it "42".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-22-2010, 10:32 AM
 
9 posts, read 17,032 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiddleCincinnati View Post
David's Buffet was north of Bypass 50, in Sharonville. Duff's was south of it, probably by the same distance. There was another buffet out that way called The Colonel's - may have been in the building eventually taken over by Duff's.

If you grew up in Mason, you probably remember the Dinner Bell restaurant, across the street from the Duds In Suds. US 42 is probably no longer called Reading Road by that point, though.
Dinner Bell was on the corner of Main St. and S. East St. across the street from Yost's pharmacy. Dud-n-Suds was in the building that now houses Angilo's Pizza. My dad wired it for the washers and dryers I think Space's Rocket dry Cleaners was next door. Angilo's used to be in a white house next to the town hall. That house was torn down to make the parking lot sometime after 1967.

On up Main St. was the Creamy Whip. Orginally it was on the corner of Main St. and Kings Mills Rd. but about 1958 it was moved south one lot next to my dad electrical shop McGuire's Electric. Barney's grocery was across Main st where the Pest Control place is now. Bar's grocery was on W. Main St. 3 building from Reading Rd. At First Ave. and Reading Rd. was Pure oil gas station which later became Lawson Dairy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-22-2010, 10:37 AM
 
9 posts, read 17,032 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
As Reading Rd meanders north of Sharonville through Mason and on to Lebanon in Warren County, a portion of it in Mason is again signed Reading Rd. A short section becomes Main St in Mason. Other than these sections the locals simply call it "42".
Reading Rd. in Sharonville actually follows Old 25 then becomes Cincinnati/Dayton Rd. when Reading Rd. jumps back over to 42. I always found it confusing because Reading Rd. and US 42 to me was one and the same. Some sections of 42 are call Cincinnati Leabnon Rd. or Cincinnati Columbus Rd.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top