Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2020, 06:28 PM

311 posts, read 1,754,082 times

Advertisements

"Mid-Century Obama Avenue" ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2020, 11:00 PM

17,574 posts, read 13,355,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiddleCincinnati View Post
"Mid-Century Obama Avenue" ?

I sure hope not!

Old 12-20-2020, 09:10 AM

245 posts, read 333,141 times
A little late to the party here. I hate this idea for many reasons and none have anything to do with whether I liked Obama's presidency or not.

Old 12-21-2020, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h Steve View Post
A little late to the party here. I hate this idea for many reasons and none have anything to do with whether I liked Obama's presidency or not.

Then add your reasons

Cost to businesses to change stationary?

Confusion with mail for home owners and businesses

Tradition!!

Old 02-08-2021, 02:17 PM

3 posts, read 5,452 times
> A longtime landmark which fronts partially on Reading Rd was bought a while back, and its new owners have invested in a "multimillion dollar renovation." (I saw an office-space ad recently.)
Check it out:
http://www.roselawnsmalloffice.com

A doctor that I see has his office in this building. It really is lovely on the inside. Have to admit I was surprised I was in Roselawn.

Old 02-13-2021, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acsmith818 View Post
> A longtime landmark which fronts partially on Reading Rd was bought a while back, and its new owners have invested in a "multimillion dollar renovation." (I saw an office-space ad recently.)
Check it out:
http://www.roselawnsmalloffice.com

A doctor that I see has his office in this building. It really is lovely on the inside. Have to admit I was surprised I was in Roselawn.

Ah! Song Long, I wonder how much longer they will stay open

Old 02-14-2021, 03:26 PM

311 posts, read 1,754,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
Ah! Song Long, I wonder how much longer they will stay open
Glad that an effort has been made to preserve the building. There were red brick structures across Section dating from roughly the same period, but by now they must be long gone.

Old 11-07-2022, 09:59 PM

1 posts, read 287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerri Ann View Post
My family owned Porfidio's Wishing Well from 1953 until 1980. Yes, it was a "pale green" in later years but it was beautiful in it's time and quite hip at the time also, mind you! ;>

My Dad, Dick Porfidio, set up an advertising campaign with the "lousy waitresses, etc. and I have matches, lighters and other memorabilia with this logo on it.

My Dad, Dick Porfidio, died an untimely death in 1959 at the age of 48 and my Mom, Janie Porfidio, stepped in and ran it until 1980. Quite a feat in those days and she was something else. All dressed in designer couture from Giddings Jenny and the best designers had to offer at that time.

I can answer a lot of questions about the "Strip" if you have them. That was what Reading Road was called at that time, because it was the entertainment area of the day. The Carrousel Motel was fabulous and the bar and restaurant within had top name entertainment. Larry Kinley, who is still one of the best singers in Cincinnati, and Frank Vincent played there. And Sal Barresi, before he bought the Italian restaurant in Deer Park, was the bartender in the bar there!

But the Well, as the Wishing Well was called, was THE place to be!
My parents went on dates to the Wishing Well around 1950-51. Then they took my sister and I there a few times in the early 1960s. They loved the actual stone wishing well that was on the property. I remember my mother telling me to order the chicken croquettes. I have been searching for info about the menu and the restaurant. Then, by chance, I found this thread (years after it was written). Gerri Ann, your information about your parents being the owners is very interesting. I continue to search for historical Wishing Well info on the internet and if my memory is correct about the chicken croquettes.

Old 11-08-2022, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolRose View Post
My parents went on dates to the Wishing Well around 1950-51. Then they took my sister and I there a few times in the early 1960s. They loved the actual stone wishing well that was on the property. I remember my mother telling me to order the chicken croquettes. I have been searching for info about the menu and the restaurant. Then, by chance, I found this thread (years after it was written). Gerri Ann, your information about your parents being the owners is very interesting. I continue to search for historical Wishing Well info on the internet and if my memory is correct about the chicken croquettes.

Attached Thumbnails
Mid-century Reading Road-matches.jpg  

Old 11-08-2022, 04:12 PM

4,888 posts, read 13,832,767 times
CarolRose,
Gerri Ann and I became friends IRL. Sadly, she passed away in January of '21.

My dad also remembers eating at "the Well" a few times but I never got the chance.
Thanks for bringing this thread back to life!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati