Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 09:41 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,462,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Mancini View Post
Lol. Yes, I have noticed the variety of answers I am getting. It's not unexpected though since I know everyone has varying opinions on the type of weather they like. Oh well, I'll just take it in strides. It will be good to experience a change anyway.

That's a lot of snow in that picture, but it is very nice to look at. Is that in Cincinnati?

Yea, last winter. Its looking out my back window.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2010, 11:03 AM

254 posts, read 982,835 times
To the OP, Ive lived in cincy my entire life, but moved to dallas last year, then came back. The number one thing that you will notice is the overcast sky. The winters here are some of the grayest you will experience. It is dreary a considerable amount of days from oct -feb or mar.
Earlier posters are correct, the winters are varied. You cannot compare snowfall to Cleveland, as they get lake effect snow there. I will say however, that over the years, cincy has gotten worse about any snowfall. Growing up here, late 70's early 80s, we would get 5-6 inches of snow, no big deal.. Schools were still open, businesses remained opened, life continued. Now if we get a couple of inches of snow, you would think we had a blizzard..schools close, folks rush to the store, bus service is cancelled.Ive never seen anything like it. A few inches darn near cripple the city.

Also be prepared, in Texas, rain doesnt seem to hamper driving to much. Here, if it is even drizzling, you can add 20 minutes to your commute....

Old 08-22-2010, 11:04 AM

2,204 posts, read 6,715,971 times
Cincinnati remains just as cold as the rest of the state, but not in terms of snow (at least when compared to Great Lakes cities) ... you see, the Great Lakes water temperature is warm compared to the temperature outside and that creates what we call "Lake Effect Snow." In other words, a front moving through decides on whether we receive snow or not and GR cities don't need anything like this, just because they're on the lake, they'll receive snow.

Compared to a Texan (I've lived in the south for many years), we'll get a lot of snow for you. To a Milwaukeean, no.

Old 08-22-2010, 11:06 AM

621 posts, read 1,209,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Mancini View Post
Lol. Yes, I have noticed the variety of answers I am getting. It's not unexpected though since I know everyone has varying opinions on the type of weather they like. Oh well, I'll just take it in strides. It will be good to experience a change anyway.
The fact is, everything that everyone has said in this thread is true. Seriously, I don't think anyone would disagree with me on that. Winter is a grab bag around Cincinnati. It can be cold and snowy, or warm and rainy. Sometimes it's "bad" according to the people who hate Winter...which, BTW, is probably a majority of people in Cincinnati. But what they call "bad", I call "good" because I love Winter more than Summer.

Then there are those Winters that are "good" according to everyone else...warm, rain, sun. I consider that "bad" because in my opinion Winter is supposed to be cold and snowy. I want a respite from all the heat and humidity c*rap of Summer, and when all we get in December and January are temps in the 50s and 60s, it depresses me.

Soooooo.....overall, it's not as "bad" as people seem to be telling you down there in Texas. It's not usually frigid cold for very long, and not nearly as snowy as Cleveland. To those people you're talking about in Texas, Cincinnati winters are probably "bad", but most likely they're not referring to Cincinnati specifically, but more rather "up there in that part of the country compared to Texas". But to be honest, last winter Dallas saw more snow early in the season than we did up here. I kept scratching my head wondering why they were getting all the "good" stuff, and we kept getting dodged. Then we started getting nailed later in the season.

So as I said, don't worry about the weather up here. The winters aren't as horribly cold and bitter as you've probably heard. But they aren't sunny and warm like Florida, either.

P.S. Oh yeah, people will say I'm nuts for saying this, but it's the honest truth....Cincinnati gets more snow than I do here in Butler County. All those "major" snowfalls that hit this past winter only dumped HALF as much on me as they did down in the city. (I'm not exaggerating, either. Places in Cincinnati that saw 9" of snow only gave me 4-5" in my yard. So go figure....) So if you don't want to get as much snow, move up here to Butler County.

Old 08-23-2010, 04:50 AM

3,763 posts, read 12,543,351 times
From the perspective of a "Northerner" (Southern Michigan, actually).. Cincy's winters are a piece of cake. A few major snowstorms, but generally warm temps (don't really need a jacket until December, and then not a terribly heavy one). However, people here think its very cold. And when snow does fall, (even though it often melts in a day or two), the road crews have some issues keeping up.

Last year seemed a bit of an aberration, as there were some very significant snows (8+ inches) and it actually stayed cold enough in between for more snow to pile on the previous snow. It was awesome!! Winter that looked like winter.

For the month of February our yard was a winter wonderland. We took photos (much like the photo the other poster showed you) and you'd think we were in Minnesota.

But - that seems to be the exception not the rule.

Generally doesn't go below 20 very much during the day. Usually closer to low 30's to low 40's.

I grew up with memories of a week where it didn't go above 5 during the day... (the Canadian Clippers hit MI with some very very arctic air pretty reliably) -- so if its the heart of winter and the temp is going to be 35 in the afternoon, I'm thinking its close to Spring.

You'll probably be a little cold. You'll either think the snow is pretty, or hate it. Just leave extra drive time!!!!

Good luck with the temp. relo.!

Old 08-23-2010, 07:59 PM

2,204 posts, read 6,715,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Briolat21 View Post
... but generally warm temps (don't really need a jacket until December, and then not a terribly heavy on ...
False. The little thing called "humidity" that makes it hot during the summer here also effect our Real Feel temps during winter.

Who cares when the coldness starts or ends compared to the northern midwest/New England/Northeast area ... many days in January for instance are colder than NYC for instance.

Old 08-23-2010, 08:23 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,134,334 times
okay...take it from me, i love to shovel snow. I love to clear my sidewalk and my neighbors. I love when we get snow, but we dont get enough of it in my opinion. Couple times a year we get a good snow-- For us that is anything over 3 inches & people either freak out or run to the grocery & you can turn on the tv and see cancellations & closing of malls. LOL. I'm not kidding. People freak out over the little amounts of snow we may get and if hte weather man predicts snow, it is the hot topic of discussion by everyone.
So, to get back to my first sentence....we dont get enough snow for me to enjoy a good shoveling workout. Last spring we got some good amounts dumped on us, but that is just so rare. I think it was about 7 inches for us in Hartwell...I have a picture somewhere with a measuring tape. The roads were bad just because it came down so fast.

Worse thing about the snow....its never wet enough to make a good snowman with, so it usually disappears faster than it falls..

Old 08-23-2010, 10:48 PM

66 posts, read 189,301 times
It's not too bad at all though everyone has their opinion and I guess it does depend on what you're used to and whether or not you like colder weather. I enjoy all four seasons and love the changes throughout the year. We are just far enough north here to actually get what I would consider a winter. Anyone farther south doesn't get what I consider a true winter( I love the snow!). It really does vary a lot year to year. Usually it starts to get cold enough to the point you need a coat or jacket consistently in November. However, last November was beautiful with many days in the 60's and even low 70's. November averages highs generally in the 50's(some 60's in the beginning and then some 40's by the end of the month). December averages highs in the 40's and then we bottom out with an average high of 39 by Mid January and then climb to near 50 as an average high by the end of February. We do get snow but it usually won't last too long because we always average temps above freezing, though there are always below normal stretches. The winters are not too long lasting either like in some areas of the country. I can comfortably (with a coat) be outside doing activities or walking on the majority of days in the winter. There are usually a few stretches of what I would consider very cold weather a year. High temps may dip into the twenties or teens but these stretches don't last long and are fairly uncommon. In the Midwest, temperatures and weather can change drastically in relatively short distances. Areas 4 to 6 hours north ( Chicago, Cleveland, Detroit) and the northeastern cities get much more wintery weather than us and are about a month or so behind or ahead of us in seasonal changes. For example, I visit Chicago quite often and our April weather is similar to the weather they don't consistently see until May and our December weather is more like what they expetience in November. I can recall rare Spring days when it will be 60 or 70 here with sun and they are getting snow in Chicago. Coming from Texas though, it may be quite a shock if you've never experienced much cold weather before. Just be thankful you aren't going to have to experience the winter weather of Minneapolis, Chicago, or Michigan!! You may just end up liking the winter weather...some people do. I wouldn't like it all to have to go through a winter without a couple good snowstorms that cover up the whole landscape. Anyway, good luck with the move!

Old 08-24-2010, 10:01 AM

3,763 posts, read 12,543,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincy-Rise View Post
False. The little thing called "humidity" that makes it hot during the summer here also effect our Real Feel temps during winter.

Who cares when the coldness starts or ends compared to the northern midwest/New England/Northeast area ... many days in January for instance are colder than NYC for instance.
Odd Cincy-Rise, I'm fairly sure I said "from the perspective of a Northerner". You might need a jacket when its 68 degrees. I do not. Our OP being from Texas, might need a jacket when its below 75 degrees, or he might not..

That's why the word perspective was used. It implies subjectivity.

And it is my perspective that nothing about the winters here is all that bad - except the driving/road crews, which I did allude to.

NYC and a good bit of the NE coast is protected by the Ocean, so not a very apt comparison. But if you were highlighting that to show that comparisons are meaningless in light of statistics, then I'm going to remind you I said - my perspective.

Detroit is APPROX. (no, I'm not going to map it for you) 220 miles North of here, and yes - it is consistently colder and consistently snowier. Since that is where I originally hail from, and the winters I'm used to - it is why in my perspective, winters here are barely even winter.

You may supply your own statistics, on Detroit weather vs. Cinci for winter. I'm sure you will be able to do that much faster and more aptly than I.

Suffice to say - OP - it will be colder/snowier than Texas. Opinions range on whether it is truly "BAD" or whether it is completely tolerable, largely based on where the holder of the opinion originates from and how they personally feel about "cold" and "snow".

Good luck OP!

Old 08-24-2010, 11:18 AM

279 posts, read 717,545 times
The thing I notice about people proclaim that they "hate" winters is just that they have a ****ty attitude. Would I sometimes like the sun to be out, shining, 90 degrees, at a pool, daylight until 9:30 PM in February? Sure. Am I going to be a miserable SOB for 4 straight months because of that? Hell no! The ol saying, life is what you make it, comes into play. Rather than dwell on the fact that it gets kinda cold, gets darker earlier, look at the positive things. Snow is amazing and beautiful. Going out in the snow is beautiful. Some of the best holidays occur in fall/winter. It's fun to wear boots. It's fun to wear a whole different array of clothes, and I'm a dude, I'm not even into clothes. Women should go nuts over this one. Hot cocoa and peppermint scnapps when it's 10 out? Sign me up. A warming fire with friends and family? Sign me up. Or you could just ***** and hate life for 4 months. I think I'll pass on that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati