Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2007, 12:05 PM

15 posts, read 60,319 times

Advertisements

My girlfriend and I presently live in Dayton. Oakwood and Kettering respectively. We each live alone and rent apartments ($400-500 plus utilities). We are very happy with where we live right now, however sadly she must soon move for work. She will be working in Cincinnati, so we've selected the Mason and West Chester areas as a good in-between for us. However we are having trouble finding living accommodations similar to what we presently have.

The areas we live in are very much what I would call a "bedroom community". Trees blanket the neighborhoods which are populated with very nice, small, older houses (in great condition). People are constantly walking dogs, kids are riding bikes, and constantly walking to the dairy queen nearby. The area is very safe, the streets aren't overly busy, with a huge community center within walking distance, great stores like Dorothy Lane market and Trader Joes, libraries, parks, tennis courts, schools, etc. We also like the type of housing we have right now, which is to say small, landlord owned apartments/town houses that are in good shape with low rent (and there are TONS where we now are, literally dozens within a couple miles radius). And it's a great area for my (very active) dog.

So let me sum up by saying we absolutely love where we presently live, and my girlfriend would not be moving unless she had to (which she does). Since we want her to be both close to Dayton and Cincinnati, we picked the Mason area, and just drove around for a while, looking for something similar to what we now have. But after several hours of (albeit random) driving around, we didn't really find anything like the area we now live in. We thought maybe if we got away from the highways a bit, but still, no luck.

I don't expect to find EXACTLY the area we now live in, nor maybe even the great living accommodations at the same prices, but can someone point us towards a similar, small, homely (perhaps quaint) community where we can find some small apartment units? Something away from busy streets where my dog can be safe if she ever gets loose, where we can walk and enjoy a friendly neighbor hood with an active community? It doesn't have to be exactly in Mason or West Chester, but something in the vicinity so that it's not a long commute for her to go to work each day (and I might move down to the area eventually as well), but it's not difficult to see each other frequently as well?

Or perhaps if not specific recommendations of communities to look, perhaps someone can explain what it is about the Dayton area that has spawned these two great places to live? Is it the river, the city, the university, the highways, etc.? Perhaps something we can look for in the areas we're apartment hunting that will yield the same kind of town?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2007, 02:15 PM

2,180 posts, read 5,421,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patron1308 View Post
My girlfriend and I presently live in Dayton. Oakwood and Kettering respectively. We each live alone and rent apartments ($400-500 plus utilities). We are very happy with where we live right now, however sadly she must soon move for work. She will be working in Cincinnati, so we've selected the Mason and West Chester areas as a good in-between for us. However we are having trouble finding living accommodations similar to what we presently have.

The areas we live in are very much what I would call a "bedroom community". Trees blanket the neighborhoods which are populated with very nice, small, older houses (in great condition). People are constantly walking dogs, kids are riding bikes, and constantly walking to the dairy queen nearby. The area is very safe, the streets aren't overly busy, with a huge community center within walking distance, great stores like Dorothy Lane market and Trader Joes, libraries, parks, tennis courts, schools, etc. We also like the type of housing we have right now, which is to say small, landlord owned apartments/town houses that are in good shape with low rent (and there are TONS where we now are, literally dozens within a couple miles radius). And it's a great area for my (very active) dog.

So let me sum up by saying we absolutely love where we presently live, and my girlfriend would not be moving unless she had to (which she does). Since we want her to be both close to Dayton and Cincinnati, we picked the Mason area, and just drove around for a while, looking for something similar to what we now have. But after several hours of (albeit random) driving around, we didn't really find anything like the area we now live in. We thought maybe if we got away from the highways a bit, but still, no luck.

I don't expect to find EXACTLY the area we now live in, nor maybe even the great living accommodations at the same prices, but can someone point us towards a similar, small, homely (perhaps quaint) community where we can find some small apartment units? Something away from busy streets where my dog can be safe if she ever gets loose, where we can walk and enjoy a friendly neighbor hood with an active community? It doesn't have to be exactly in Mason or West Chester, but something in the vicinity so that it's not a long commute for her to go to work each day (and I might move down to the area eventually as well), but it's not difficult to see each other frequently as well?

Or perhaps if not specific recommendations of communities to look, perhaps someone can explain what it is about the Dayton area that has spawned these two great places to live? Is it the river, the city, the university, the highways, etc.? Perhaps something we can look for in the areas we're apartment hunting that will yield the same kind of town?

Thanks in advance!
It's not that Cincinnati doesn't have those kinds of communities, as if Dayton somehow trumps Cincinnati in that department. It's simply that you're talking about 2 relatively NEWER suburbs which were built around the concept of subdivision living, as opposed to cities built around a community square. West Chester and Mason are northern Cincinnati suburbs that exploded in growth during the 90's and on into the present. You're not going to find what you're looking for in either one. (I know, because I live in West Chester). You'll find SOME things that you're looking for here, but not the whole package. For that, you would need to go into Cincinnati further.

The closest option I can think of for you would be Lebanon. MAYBE parts of West Hamilton.

Old 06-28-2007, 02:29 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,174,114 times
What about the older parts of Mason? You know, before the city annexed everything that was standing still (and a few things that weren't ...). There are the older homes, tree-lined streets, etc.

I agree with WCRob, there's not much like Kettering or Oakwood in Warren County, but Lebanon comes close. The residential area immediately surrounding downtown is beautiful, lots of parks and trees, easily walkable. I was never bored when I lived there because there was always an antique shop or two to browse in.

But your girlfriend could look closer in to Cincinnati (where is she working, btw?). It's not too fer of a piece to drive on a regular basis -- speed demons like me can do it in 40 to 45 minutes, traffic and the Ohio Highway Patrol notwithstanding. Depending on where she works, neighborhoods like Oakley, Deer Park, Pleasant Ridge, or Montgomery come to mind (oops, there goes that East Side bias again ... ).

Good luck!

Old 06-28-2007, 02:30 PM

Thank you very much for your response, WCRob. So, when looking for communities like the one I presently live in, I should seek something a bit older? Are there other criterion? And how does one go about finding "older" areas? Just asking like I am here?

Thanks again, we'll check out Lebanon and West Hamilton as soon as we can.

Old 06-28-2007, 02:33 PM

Thank you for your post as well, OhioGirl81.

We were trying to avoid going too far South, but as I think about it, I could see myself making the trip 2-3 times per week at the most. Maybe 3-4 for the two of us total, so maybe adding 20 minutes per interval may not be that bad.

These four neighborhoods you've mentioned are very kettering/oakwoodesque, then, you'd say? We'll check them out.

Thanks again, both of you!

Old 06-28-2007, 03:03 PM

450 posts, read 1,203,100 times
There is a place called Knollwood Crossing close to bypass 4 but I believe they are based on your income....good luck

Old 06-28-2007, 03:15 PM

122 posts, read 958,940 times
Classified ads for West Chester;
West Chester Classifieds - [domain blocked due to spam]

Old 06-28-2007, 08:03 PM

122 posts, read 958,940 times
Monroe also is a great area - just a hop & skip off I-75. Here's some classified ads in Monroe; Monroe Classifieds - [domain blocked due to spam]

Old 06-28-2007, 09:16 PM

2,180 posts, read 5,421,143 times
I'm trying to bear in mind what Patron1308 said with regards to wanting a smaller apartment building owned privately by someone - not managed by a company. There are TONS of apartment complexes in Mason and West Chester - but very little in the way of smaller buildings on tree-lined streets with a close-knit, family feel to them in which your dog can run free and you're still close to parks, etc..... That kind of arrangement simply does not exist in West Chester or Mason. Now granted, there are parks here. And there are great stores, and even a bit of a family-feel to many neighborhoods. But the closest thing I can think of in the Cincinnati area that would be like Kettering or Oakwood, would be places like Hyde Park or Oakley - as Ohiogirl mentioned. Mason has an older area, but if you're going to live in that part of Mason, you'd might as well go on up the road to Lebanon, because it is so much nicer. Plus, you would still have easy access to Cincinnati via I-71, and Dayton wouldn't be that far of a drive.

West Hamilton, around the Sanders area, has a LOT of small privately owned apartment buildings, and would be more conducive to what you're looking for. But West Hamilton can also be a bit of a drive to Cincinnati, particularly considering the roads available to get you there.....very congested, or out of the way.

Kenwood might have what you're looking for, and so might Madeira. But other than that, your best options would truly be Hyde Park and Oakley. And those are right in the heart of eastern Cincinnati. A drive from there to Dayton would probably be about 65-75 minutes.

Honestly, Patron - not to put you on a downer or burst your bubble - but if you could concede on one or two items, it would be MUCH easier to recommend a solution that would really fit you well. For example, if you could deal with an apartment complex, or be willing to make a longer drive, you could easily find what you're looking for. The ideal place you would want DOES exist in several different places of Cincinnati - but unfortunately, they are farther south than West Chester and Mason. Personally, I think you would fit in PERFECTLY in some place like Glendale or Wyoming. Both are BEAUTIFUL areas, with tree-lined streets and lots of families and parks and places to walk with your dog. They would both be close enough to I-75 that you could make a straight shot up the interstate to Dayton. For what it's worth, I used to live in Fairfield, and I would drive everyday to Xenia - and it only took me a little over an hour. And Kettering and Oakwood are much closer than Xenia, so the commute may not be quite as bad as you think, especially when you do it on a regular basis.

Good luck....and sorry for sounding so redundant. lol!

Last edited by Pathwalker; 06-28-2007 at 09:38 PM..

Old 07-01-2007, 11:06 AM

36 posts, read 125,226 times
Madeira may also be a good fit too!! Tree lined upper middle class. There are a few apartment complexes there too. Good school district, very friendly. there is a bunch of boutiques and shops. Swimming pool, very home townish.

Madeira, OH - Official Website
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati