U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 09:07 AM

405 posts, read 773,619 times
Cincy,
Thanks for the comments. I think I didn't express my idea clearly enough. I think its entirely natural that residents of Westwood, for example, are upset by section eight people (and other generally poorer people) moving into their neighborhoods. But, my point is that "gentrification" in this sense is essentially "reverse section eight": here the rich people are moving into the poor neighborhood. My point is that once again it is normal for the existing residents to resent this intrusion into "their" territory. Therefore, if you are a gentfiying pioneer, you might expect a lot of resentment and anger directed your way.

BTW, I think the data shows section eight is failed program, but I'm sure thats a pretty controversial discussion.

Concerning Cincinnati --> Detroit, when you see headlines like this: "Gunmen attack officer in Lincoln Heights" and read that three "residents' brazenly attacked a police car with semi automatic rifles, its somewhat scary. I am concerned that if nothing is done, projected out 20-30 years, things could be a lot worse here.

The fact is we seem to have ~30% of the city living essentially in third world conditions that are ruled by completely different laws than "normal" society. This section is rife with unemployment, drug use, teen pregnancy, crime, and a general breakdown of social function (Well illustrated by the Pot Smoking Two Year old). Moreover, if I am not mistaken, the birth rates are highest n this sector, so you have a growing population that self perpetuates itself. As they grow, they need places to live, and move all over the place.

The idea of the gentrification pumpers, that gentrification makes everything better, is amusing. OF COURSE if gentrification of a neighborhood succeeds, that immediate neighborhood is improved! But the displaced poor just go to Price Hill and make other areas worse.

BTW I don't really have any answers. The scary part is no one does and the problem is growing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2010, 11:39 AM

2,886 posts, read 4,110,022 times
I was watching the toddler video last night and ranting to my husband "Who the hell DOES that? Where would that mother even GET THE IDEA to do that?" He said, "Maybe from her own mother." Speaks volumes.

Old 09-16-2010, 09:33 PM

350 posts, read 740,225 times
Wolden sums up my general feelings on OTR fairly well. If you regularly refer to your neighbors as vermin, GTFO. Hey, you moved there and those without compassion tend to draw the "vermin" to themselves.

Problem I have is there isn't and won't be a middle class presence in OTR which makes the area somewhat volatile. Fuddy Duddy middle class has kept a lot of neighborhoods together.

Old 09-17-2010, 07:18 AM

2,204 posts, read 5,967,157 times
Wolden, you're opinions are just that - opinions.

The fact is:
Part 1 crime has and is dramatically decreasing.
Our murder rate is dramatically decreasing (and is still mostly comprised of drug related deaths).
There are literally billions of dollars of development happening by investors - which see a future here.
No middle-class/upper-class neighborhood wants to welcome sec. 8 /lower-class pockets into their neighborhood - NO MATTER what city you live in.
... and I can go to Google News and search "gunned down automatic weapons" and find a plethora of articles from Manhattan to San Francisco with similar articles - so your logic fails there.
Fact: Large cities have crime, especially metros of 2.2 million people.
Fact: Automatic Weapons exist and are desirable and therefore are in the hands of criminals.
Fact: Home-owners want to see their property values rise and therefore want to see "Socio-Positive" investments happening ... no matter if it's right or wrong in yours and mine eyes.

... So again, none of the above comments are Cincinnati-Specific issues and the "going down hill" thoughts are just that. They're simply easy to prove wrong.

Old 09-17-2010, 08:36 AM

67 posts, read 165,994 times
How upper class are the people who have been moving in?(doctors and lawyers? college graduates? CEO's?) What are theyre demographics in general?
Also, what made them want to move to an area which had and still has such large problems with crime?

I'm not here to judge people on either side, and that wasnt the point of this thread. I'm just curious and enjoy hearing a variety of different opinions. I'm thankful that this thread has such a diverse array of people who have commented on it, but i wish the conversation was a little more cordial.

Old 09-17-2010, 08:44 AM

64 posts, read 120,126 times
to make money

Old 09-17-2010, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by webbbj View Post
to make money
Yep! They saw opportunity before others and that's how it happens. These Pendleton property owners are about to cash in big time.

I'd also add it's fun and being close to everything is a major bonus!

Old 09-17-2010, 02:54 PM

10,139 posts, read 23,279,357 times
I don't think we are gonna make any money down there. Call me a pessimist, but I see the whole thing being oriented toward Eighth Street and Eggleston.

Old 09-17-2010, 08:06 PM

^ A pessimist, no. Blind, absolutely.

cincinnati.com | Cincinnati Video | Cincinnati.Com

Old 09-17-2010, 08:33 PM

10,139 posts, read 23,279,357 times
Yea, well I saw the video and I don't know what it showed about Pendleton. And, your link didn't work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati