U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 03:02 PM

67 posts, read 162,511 times

Advertisements

I heard this area was once the most dangerous neighborhood in the US. I also heard that its beginning to see a renaissance. What can people tell me about it? What is it like today and what was it like during its worst years? does it still have a reputation as the most dangerous part of the city? Is it densely packed or is it more of a ghost town?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2010, 08:16 PM

3,335 posts, read 5,731,421 times
in 2003 i remember literally being offered drugs in broad daylight on a main street in over the rhine. most of it isn't like that at all anymore. lots of downtown professionals live there now. it isn't even the most dangerous neighborhood in Cincinnati anymore, much less the US

Old 09-01-2010, 11:00 PM

10,139 posts, read 22,431,459 times
This person has started 20 threads and a total of 48 posts? No thanks.

Old 09-03-2010, 05:18 PM

18,047 posts, read 13,258,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggspc View Post
I heard this area was once the most dangerous neighborhood in the US.
That is absolutely correct. Cincinnati had the reputation of Murder Capital USA for a couple of years (it was actually safer to live in Chicago or Detroit) and Republic Street (formerly known as Bremen Street) had the highest death rate of any street in the USA.

Quote:
I also heard that its beginning to see a renaissance.
That is also true.

Quote:
What can people tell me about it?
It's beautiful. It really is. It's better than Disneyland (although still not as safe).

Quote:
What is it like today and what was it like during its worst years? does it still have a reputation as the most dangerous part of the city? Is it densely packed or is it more of a ghost town?
It is like a ghost town.

I live at 12th and Race next to Whorington Park, or is that CrackAddict Park?

Well, it doesn't matter because CDC is closing it. I sent an e-mail to tell them to be sure and enclose the sidewalks within the fence so no people at all can hang out there.

I would like to be able to spend at least 2 hours in the park at least once in my life, but unfortunately, I will probably leave the US before the park reopens.

It is a ghost town. It's wonderful. I can't just can't express in words how wonderful it is.

It's clean. There isn't garbage everywhere on the side walks and streets like there used to be. And it literally is a ghost town. There are blocks and blocks of boarded up buildings where the turds have been evicted. And it's a lot quieter too.

It's still not all that safe. I walk to Kroger's and have to pass a little park that connects with the north end of Republic Street that is still infested with vermin (hopefully they'll be evicted soon) and you always feel threatened when propositioned for sex or drugs because you don't know if some looney is going to come charging at you with a knife or gun.

The police are a lot more active now, naturally after most of the riff-raff is gone, and you see the useless bicycle cops and sometimes even the more useless cops in their new cruisers driving around, but they only come when called unless they're transiting the area.

The Doo-doo Drop Inn is the key. Once they shut that down and force them to move (the director was fired about 2 weeks ago) then the whole area will collapse as far as the scum and vermin. The Lord's Pantry will close and so will Nasty Trinity Church and the stooopid pukes from Vineyard won't be coming down to hand out food any more. That will force the street people to seek other areas to pollute.

The other night, some of the condo residents complained that crack-o's were hanging out in the door way, so the police actually came and carted off two of them.

This isn't the funny part, but the police drove around the block and came back and 2 more crack-o's were there and they arrested them.

Now here's the funny part, the police come back around the block and arrest one more. The guy was standing on the corner of the park at Race and 12th watching the cops, and I heard the cop say "You were standing right there and you didn't see us?" Uh, I didn't think you guys would come back again."

It was pretty funny. I feel for the people in those condos though, because the street people and the crack-o's are always hanging out in the doorway.

Plus Tamar's House, the new place for prostitutes to hang out and sleep during the day and give themselves a whorebath will probably close just as quickly as it opened, especially since the police are hanging out there harassing them.

And then Smitty's was recently torched, oops, I mean it apparently accidentally burned to the ground with god's will and all and so it smells better and there are fewer people hanging around looking mean and nasty (and smelling even worse) and harassing people.

As long as there aren't any rapes or murders, the gentrification will proceed as planned and it will be real nice eventually.

Old 09-03-2010, 07:08 PM

nice post mircea. over the rhine is, i think, the fastest gentrifying neighborhood in the country. it isn't like there is a big fight from established residents being pushed out like short north in columbus was. we're talking homeless people and a few people renting disgusting sub-standard unsubsidized condemnation-worthy housing for a couple hundred bucks a month; most of the dirtbag landlords who would allow people to live in such places have sold out.

i'm not saying it's right, but it is what it is. the nice condos are being filled as fast as they are being built, actually faster.

Old 09-03-2010, 09:35 PM

The worst slumlord inOTR is Mercy Franciscan Charities and they aren't selling out.

Old 09-07-2010, 01:19 PM

18,047 posts, read 13,258,699 times
Sunday night walking to Kroger's I got accosted by a vermin wanting to sell me "weed" right there at the little park that connects Death Street with Vine, then another vermin insulted me by saying, "You White mother f--kers think you're gonna take over this place you mother f--king German mother f--ker"

I would have pulled out my stun gun (you're full not move packed through OTR) and shocked him with 400,000 volts but Kroger's closes at 6:00 pm on Sunday's and I was in desperate need of Half 'n' Half cream for my coffee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by progmac
we're talking homeless people and a few people renting disgusting sub-standard unsubsidized condemnation-worthy housing for a couple hundred bucks a month; most of the dirtbag landlords who would allow people to live in such places have sold out.
There are no "homeless people" in OTR. The homeless, and I mean the real homeless are at Mount Airy Men's Shelter or they are at the Drop Inn in the HIP program or they are at the Salvation Army Shelter or they are at the Goodwill Shelter.

If you're "homeless" for more than a year in Hamilton County, it's because you want to be "homeless."

Those "dirtbag landlords" rub elbows with city council members and finance their campaigns.

And it isn't a couple hundred bucks a month. Those units rent for $550 to $750 per month and the tenants on GA pay $33/month, the ones on SSI pay $196 per month and the tax payers pick up the tab for the difference.

Old 09-07-2010, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Sunday night walking to Kroger's I got accosted by a vermin wanting to sell me "weed" right there at the little park that connects Death Street with Vine, then another vermin insulted me by saying, "You White mother f--kers think you're gonna take over this place you mother f--king German mother f--ker"

I would have pulled out my stun gun (you're full not move packed through OTR) and shocked him with 400,000 volts but Kroger's closes at 6:00 pm on Sunday's and I was in desperate need of Half 'n' Half cream for my coffee.
Have you considered a large size can of Bear Spray?

Old 09-08-2010, 05:46 AM

Quote:
I'm impressed he called you out as a German. I would have been all, "actually i'm also 1/4 Dutch!"

Old 09-08-2010, 07:49 AM

682 posts, read 1,388,648 times
Quote:
Sunday night walking to Kroger's I got accosted by a vermin wanting to sell me "weed" right there at the little park that connects Death Street with Vine, then another vermin insulted me by saying, "You White mother f--kers think you're gonna take over this place you mother f--king German mother f--ker".
Over the years in several neighborhoods in several cities I have heard that. In 2000 I was in the Holy Cross neighborhood in INDY when the drug dealer said "You think you own this F###*** neighborhood, dont you?" My reply was "Not yet, give me a year". We had a party on the front porch of my house across the street the day, four months later, when they were moved out because a good friend of mine bought that house and evicted all the vermin. before she restored it. Today its a lovely victorian with landscaped yard.

A year ago I had something similar occur in Knox Hill in Cincinnati when a motorcyle gang wanted to move into the neighborhood and set up in a condemned building. Before they could open, the city bulldozers came and enforced the nuisance/demo order and down their clubhouse came. When this spring the local drug dealer said the same thing about if we thought we owned the neighborhood and threathened to "cap me", he was gone in 30 days and the neighborhood is looking for a preservation minded buyer for that house. Irish Cliffs Apartments, an eyesore at the entrance to our neighborhood for decades, is gone now ,soon to be landscaped by our neighborhood association in the hopes that soem day it will be repurposed.

The people who live in OTR understand that the wave has come, OTR has turned the corner and soon the vermin (who have no clue what is going on) will find themselves living somewhere else wondering how it all happened.

It is about people taking back neighborhoods and raising the quality of life. Its about the architecture and the spaces and it is about the inevitable cycles of neighborhoods. Thats why people move back in "they get it".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati