Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2010, 11:52 AM

1,293 posts, read 615,263 times

Advertisements

I want to post up flyers around my local area (Norwood, OH) to promote myself as a freelance computer repair technician. I'm not a part of any business or anything. I'm just doing it for myself to earn money doing what I do best. Is it legal to post up flyers in streetlight poles and fences and whatnot?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2010, 01:19 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,119,503 times
dont know about Norwood but not in Cincinnati. Municipal code violation $100 fine per sign in Cincinnati. Most neighborhoods take them down. Here in Hartwell, I will call you to come and get them and if not removed by the end of the day i will take them down. I apologize but they look terrible, not a form of advertising I would use...same thing with those little signs in metal stakes people like to put in the ground at intersections. People hang them up but no one ever removes them, and as soon as one person puts up one sign, a ton more follow. When does it stop? Use Facebook or ask a local grocery store if you can hang a flyer up, that would be my suggestion.

Old 09-06-2010, 02:06 PM

6,351 posts, read 21,466,335 times
AMEN, Hartwell Girl!!! Sorry Compwiz02, but such signs are unsightly and illegal everywhere. And, IMHO, I'd think that far too few people will respond to them than the effort to make and install 'em is worth. I don't know about others, but I make it a point NOT to patronize businesses who are selfish enough to junk up the neighborhood...

There's planty of other ways to get your message out besides contribuing to urban (OR suburban) blight.

Old 09-06-2010, 02:19 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,343,947 times
As HG says, illegal. But also litter, debris, and offensive. I would never patronize a business that fouls the neighborhood.

Old 09-06-2010, 02:25 PM

Hmm thanks for the feedback. I've seen a few signs posted on poles and whatnot but I never found out if the signs ever got taken down. Seen signs that promoted yard sales and car washes and such.

What is the BEST way to promote a service? This is NOT a business I am promoting. I'm promoting MYSELF as a service to people. I want to offer my skills to fix people's computers and earn money from it. What are some good sites to promote on or stores to promote on? The local library told me that I have to ask for permission from the main city library to post flyers up on their bulletin board and Krogers...their store manager told me they don't give out business flyers or do flyers. The bulletin board they have up only advertises in-store promos and whatnot.

Old 09-06-2010, 03:40 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,343,947 times
I think I would try a very modest effort at Google Ads targeted at the smallest geographic area around Norwood. You can have a bid amount as low as you want and only pay when someone clicks through to your web page.

Craigslist would be my first choice, but are probably already doing that.

Old 09-06-2010, 05:46 PM

246 posts, read 1,043,285 times
compwiz02, I think most hardware stores allow freelancers to post flyers on their bulletin boards advertising their services. Lots of grocery stores do too, even if Krogers does not. In my neighborhood (Deer Park), both Ace Hardware and IGA (at the Dillonvale Shopping Center) allow such flyers. I've even used a couple of freelancers I've found there (handymen, babysitters, etc.).

You do have to ask the store's permission first, of course, and I think they clear the flyers every two weeks. But I'll bet there are plenty of places that would allow you to post.

I wonder also if a college campus (Xavier, for instance?) has a place where you could post a flyer advertising your services?

Old 09-07-2010, 10:44 PM

1,607 posts, read 2,822,121 times
Easier and cheaper to just try craigslist.

Old 09-08-2010, 01:00 PM

6,351 posts, read 21,466,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compwiz02 View Post
Hmm This is NOT a business I am promoting. I'm promoting MYSELF as a service to people. I want to offer my skills to fix people's computers and earn money from it.
I dunno; kinda fits the normal definition of a "business" in my mind...

Old 09-21-2010, 09:11 AM

@Crew Chief - Yea, this is technically a business I am running but it's basically a service I am offering to people on my own.

I've already posted on Craigslist and have gotten lots of spam emails, which isn't good. Waiting for some legitimate emails to get to me. Krogers won't let me post up fliers and neither will Walgreens, Family Dollar, or the local library. Haven't asked the other stores yet. This one small Mexican grocery store nearby allowed me though since they had already posted up a few fliers outside their window.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati