Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2007, 10:24 AM

1 posts, read 3,920 times

Advertisements

I will be attending graduate school at UC starting this fall, and I have been scouring the internet for apartment and neighborhood info. I am lookig for a loft-style apartment that is a comfortable fit for one person who spends most of his time outside of school studying, reading and listening to music at home. I've found a decent number of ideal apartments but they all seem to be in neighborhoods that are to be viewed with caution (Over the Rhine) or areas that I don't have any info on (south of UC campus). I'm asking particularly for any and all opinions and characterizatiions of general neighborhoods around Cincinnati (not too far from UC, but I don't mind a reasonable commute). I will be in CIncinnati briefly next weekend to look at some apts and neighborhoods myself, so a little guide of what to look for would be very helpful. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2007, 08:56 PM

2,180 posts, read 5,420,709 times
The sad thing is, if you're limiting yourself to a loft apartment, then you'll be hard pressed to find one available in a relatively safe area around UC. Most lofts are in exceptionally expensive areas, such as Mt. Adams, Hyde Park, and the safer areas downtown south of 7th street. Or you might luck out and find one out farther into the suburb areas.

Do you especially need a loft? There are other apartments within a reasonable commute that are in safer neighborhoods, and decently affordable.

Have you tried looking in craigslist.org? Other than that, you could try searching through the regular classifieds of the Cincinnati Enquirer.... HomeFinder: Resale Classifieds at Cincinnati.Com

Old 06-14-2007, 04:03 PM

673 posts, read 4,069,089 times
Ive been in Cincinnati many times. That city could be so amazing and has such incredible, incredible architecture but culturally it is lacking on nightlife but has a good selection for the arts/entertainment at least and also very, very violent city with tons of problems going on and its evident with-in minutes of entering the cities borders. I think Cincinnati has very, very few decent areas and the ones that are decent are very pricey such as Mount Adams.

I wouldnt even bother with the city of Cincinnati proper. Covington, KY seems nice though

Last edited by MattDen; 06-14-2007 at 04:12 PM..

Old 06-14-2007, 05:51 PM

Interesting comment about Cincinnati having few decent areas. I'm not disagreeing with that, but it would probably be more accurate to think of Cincinnati as a fragmented city. You might have a good safe street with great homes and a clean landscape, but literally one block over and you'll have blight and crime. Then a mile from there will be good again. Outside the city is much better.

Old 06-14-2007, 07:48 PM

40 posts, read 207,287 times
Try this - very close but not right across the street. The gaslight area of Clifton is a nice, historic neighborhood:

Home

THE LOCATION is perfect - Great Clifton Gaslight Apartment -nr- THE UNIVERSITY OF CINCINNATI

Old 06-20-2007, 09:36 PM

450 posts, read 1,202,970 times
I have to agree no night life at all...this city is sooooooooo boring and it really sucks for the singles here....you may like it
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattDen View Post
Ive been in Cincinnati many times. That city could be so amazing and has such incredible, incredible architecture but culturally it is lacking on nightlife but has a good selection for the arts/entertainment at least and also very, very violent city with tons of problems going on and its evident with-in minutes of entering the cities borders. I think Cincinnati has very, very few decent areas and the ones that are decent are very pricey such as Mount Adams.

I wouldnt even bother with the city of Cincinnati proper. Covington, KY seems nice though

Old 06-21-2007, 12:27 PM

I don't understand this whole "the city sucks for singles" thing that everyone keeps referring to with Cincinnati. What IS it that single people are actually looking for - nightclubs and bars all the time? There ARE bars in the area. Every time I ever went to one, they were packed. But is that all life is about for singles? Is there nothing more they are interested in? What else do the singles want that isn't already here?

Old 06-22-2007, 06:13 PM

146 posts, read 789,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCRob View Post
I don't understand this whole "the city sucks for singles" thing that everyone keeps referring to with Cincinnati. What IS it that single people are actually looking for - nightclubs and bars all the time? There ARE bars in the area. Every time I ever went to one, they were packed. But is that all life is about for singles? Is there nothing more they are interested in? What else do the singles want that isn't already here?
My thoughts exactly! As I've pointed out in the past, Forbes ranked Cincinnati 1st of the 40 largest metro areas in the country for nightlife in its 2006 "Best Cities For Singles" rankings: Best Cities For Singles - Forbes.com.

Old 06-28-2007, 03:08 PM

450 posts, read 1,202,970 times
Yes we were ranked and people just fell out their chair laughing...majority of the time I go to Chicago and Even Memphis for entertainment.....I have been to Milwaukee and had more fun there compare to Cinti...everybody doesn't want to go to the bars there are other things people want to do besides that. EVERYBODY CAN GIVE THEIR INSIGHT ON THINGS ON HOW THEY SEE IT.

Old 06-28-2007, 10:04 PM

Well then maybe you could answer my question and tell me what single people DO want, since you said everybody doesn't want to go to bars.

Seriously. If not for the bars, what does Memphis have that Cincinnati doesn't? I mean, I can see how Chicago would be interesting....the lake, Navy Pier, lots of shopping, museums, culture, restaurants. But Memphis? That's a joke.

Cincinnati has an incredible zoo, one of the best urban park systems in the country, great museums, parks along the riverfront where lots of people hang out, great restaurants, Kings Island, The Beach Waterpark, wonderful unique shops scattered around the city, coffee shops and interesting bookstores, vintage music stores, fishing, boating, hiking, canoeing on the Little Miami River, theaters, cinemas, concert venues, sports arenas. And oh yeah, NIGHTCLUBS, too.

Yeah, sounds like a really boring place to me. If you think it's that boring, then move to Memphis. Not sure what else you really want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
View detailed profiles of: