Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2010, 11:49 PM

2,368 posts, read 5,091,339 times

Advertisements

Any recommendations? I really like rowhouses and older commercial strips and the general classic architecture of American cities and am going up to Cinci this weekend to test my new DSLR out!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2010, 08:04 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,398,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKUKUK View Post
Any recommendations? I really like rowhouses and older commercial strips and the general classic architecture of American cities and am going up to Cinci this weekend to test my new DSLR out!
Come to OTR and walk Orchard St. and Broadway between 13th and Liberty. There are 300 photos for you there.

Old 10-02-2010, 09:21 AM

3,336 posts, read 6,923,703 times
the most striking architecture IMO is in OTR, Prospect / Liberty Hill and also the west end. Of course Dayton Street but other parts of the west end are equally striking. i hate to say this but if you are in the west end make sure to stay close to your car. Lower Price Hill is a must as is East Price Hill. t. Camp Washington and South Cumminsville are awesome.

The easiest route to do those i suggested would be to start at prospect hill, go into OTR, then the west end, then lower price hill, then east price hill, then camp washington, then south cumminsville.

All those neighborhoods offer something not found in any other city. Most are quite run down in parts, but if you're in it for the architecture and urban form you will be amazed.

Old 10-02-2010, 10:56 AM

165 posts, read 395,500 times
During our visit to Cincinnati, we found many picturesque historical areas. It was almost an embarassment of riches. Take a look at Over-The-Rhine (along 4th Street) and the West End. (Dayton St. historic district, Freeman St, Baymiller,...type in Dayton St. in streetview and see what architectural treasures are there and on adjacent streets) While we never made it over to Price Hill, it certainly has a representative share of impressive historic buildings. Mt. Auburn had some interesting houses along McGregor, Auburn Ave. and on some of the side streets. I also recommend the Northside: along Hamilton Ave., Pullan, and some of the side streets like Williamson Place. In Camp Washington, the stately row houses on Elam Ave, were very impressive as well as the historic architecture seen on some of the side streets off Colerain. (Gaslight) Clifton has some of the most stately historic mansions in the City. Even somewhat sketchy Walnut Hills has some glorious reminders from a grander past. (Lincoln, Melrose, May, and off E. McMillan Avenue Upland Place, Ashland Avenue, have very impressive historic homes) Although we spent three days "exploring", there isn't a chance we were able to see even 50% of the photoworthy places in the city. If you've never been to Cincinnati, be prepared for many pleasant surprises and unique sights and sites. Our visit convinced us Cincinnati was worthy of considering for our future home and remains so today.

Old 10-02-2010, 11:33 AM

^ Great recommendations. I expect Vintrest meant OTR along 14th street, not 4th street. 4th street is by the river not in OTR.

Old 10-02-2010, 12:23 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,738,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by progmac View Post
^ Great recommendations. I expect Vintrest meant OTR along 14th street, not 4th street. 4th street is by the river not in OTR.
He's entitled to a small mistake. With his enthusiastic endorsement of Cincinnati I would grant him a few even larger mistakes. It is definitely encouraging to see other come and enjoy our great city.

Old 10-02-2010, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
He's entitled to a small mistake. With his enthusiastic endorsement of Cincinnati I would grant him a few even larger mistakes. It is definitely encouraging to see other come and enjoy our great city.
just a typo, i just didn't want the OP to be confused if he was mapping out the recommendations.

Old 10-02-2010, 03:34 PM

2,368 posts, read 5,091,339 times
I've been to Cincinnati several times, actually, and OTR was going to be my first destination... I just haven't fully explored it to the depth I'd like to (I'd like to know it like a resident does) and am terrible with neighborhood names. However, I do have all of your recommendations taken down Thanks!

Old 10-03-2010, 09:20 AM

165 posts, read 395,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by progmac View Post
Oops, my mistake, thanks for catching it. John

Old 10-04-2010, 08:26 AM

577 posts, read 1,275,479 times
You can also go across the river to Covington and see the Shinkle Row Houses. They were built in 1860 and you can find them on East 2nd Street.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati