Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2017, 03:24 PM

4,823 posts, read 4,941,885 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmecklenborg View Post
Come on. Kentucky was a slave state but it did not join the Confederacy. I already mentioned that and that relatively few slaves lived anywhere in the state. Very few lived in Northern Kentucky. That should be a huge signal that Kentucky was not culturally or economically aligned with the states that did secede.

Similarly, eastern Tennessee has a totally different culture than the deep south. Zero plantations in the hilly/mountainous east.
That's all good and all but Kentucky is still in the south, even if it, being a slave state, didn't join the Confederacy. It's not considered to be Dixie, but it is the south. Sorry.

Old 09-05-2017, 03:40 PM

800 posts, read 950,774 times
No it's not. It was not economically or culturally part of the south. I have lived and worked in Kentucky and lived and worked in Tennessee. They are totally different places. Delaware was a slave state but nobody considers it "the south".

Old 09-05-2017, 03:40 PM

4,792 posts, read 6,053,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamms View Post
Well, many consider Christian fundamentalists as a southern thing.

Btw, some describe Washington DC as quasi-southern as well. Some describe southern cities as you describe CIN: podunk towns with ignorant people.
The difference is that DC was historically a Southern city. Cincinnati never was.

Old 09-05-2017, 03:44 PM

4,792 posts, read 6,053,895 times
Evangelical Christians didn't originate in the South nor does does the South have a monopoly on them.

Southern Baptist churches are more indicative of actual Southern culture. Cincinnati's religious landscape is not a majority Southern Baptist but instead Catholic. Yes they are conservative Catholics but those exist everywhere.

Cincinnati is about as Southern as St. Louis and Columbus.

Old 09-05-2017, 03:51 PM

389 posts, read 330,232 times
Quote:
OK, so now you differentiate Kentucky as not being ''deep south'' which means its ''south''. Again, CIN actually borders a southern state then; how can there be no southern-ish qualities in CIN?

This is pretty funny as the CIN folks freak out about this association; ''the south'' is right there given your statements.
I would say that KY is the transitional state, not Ohio. The northern 3rd of KY is very Midwestern. From central KY south it starts to take on more of a southern flavor. I think the true south starts with Tennessee.

Old 09-05-2017, 04:23 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,138,178 times
Quote:
That's all good and all but Kentucky is still in the south, even if it, being a slave state, didn't join the Confederacy. It's not considered to be Dixie, but it is the south. Sorry.
You continue you say that but having lived in various southern states for the last thirty years I can tell you that most southern people consider KY to be a border state. A city on the northern border of a border state does not make that a city that borders on being southern, though it may have a bit of southern influence popping up here and there.

Old 09-05-2017, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
You continue you say that but having lived in various southern states for the last thirty years I can tell you that most southern people consider KY to be a border state. A city on the northern border of a border state does not make that a city that borders on being southern, though it may have a bit of southern influence popping up here and there.
Umm, that's why I said Cinci had quasi-southern flair to it, IMO, also known as influences popping up here and there.

Old 09-05-2017, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
Evangelical Christians didn't originate in the South nor does does the South have a monopoly on them.

Southern Baptist churches are more indicative of actual Southern culture. Cincinnati's religious landscape is not a majority Southern Baptist but instead Catholic. Yes they are conservative Catholics but those exist everywhere.

Cincinnati is about as Southern as St. Louis and Columbus.
That's good and all but IMO CIN had some quasi-southern aspects to it. That's all.

You're the one who described CIN as a podunk town full of ignorant people.

Old 09-05-2017, 05:44 PM

6,339 posts, read 11,084,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
Yes, uh, I don't think so. Klan huge in Indy? - I have to call BS on that.
At one time that was the case. The Grand Lizard or Chief Manure Salesman for the Klan at one time hailed from a small town nearby if I recall correctly. But that was a century ago. Still plenty of racial problems in central Indiana these days but the Klan does not seem to have a presence these days in the area.

Old 09-05-2017, 05:47 PM

6,339 posts, read 11,084,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgn2013 View Post
It's not Southern...in the same way that West Virginia isn't southern (and I'm almost iffy on Kentucky).

"Southern" to me is a blend of African, European and Native American culture. Most Midwest cities seem heavily influenced by Scandinavians and Central Europeans. The South's European influence is more heavily slanted towards British/Scottish culture with notable exceptions (Czech/Poles/Spanish in TX, French in Louisiana etc).

Black-eyed peas, peanuts, collard greens, okra (not fried), baked mac-n-cheese, gratuitous use of hot sauce that isn't Tabasco, hot links, catfish/buffalo fish, yams/sweet potatoes etc. Rice is also a big fault line. Jollof rice from West Africa and Jambalaya are pretty doggone close to being 'food cousins.' I don't think Midwestern cuisine puts a lot of emphasis on rice historically as that was more of a staple crop in tropical and subtropical regions.
Actually the dominant heritage in the Midwest is German. By far. I researched this a few years ago and only the upper Midwest has any real Scandinavian presence. Most of them are in Minnesota and to a lesser extent, Iowa, Michigan, Wisconsin and the Dakotas. And you can find a smattering in northern IL and around Lindsborg, KS. Aside from that the region is populated mostly by people of German heritage, especially the lower Midwest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati