Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 12:59 PM

2 posts, read 2,239 times

Advertisements

I've never posted on this forum before, but wanted to say thanks to all who post here. My husband and I moved to the area 9 years ago and purchased an old home in Lebanon. While we have loved the festivals, being able to walk everywhere and the cost of our home in Lebanon, we decided about a year ago that we really wanted to be closer to the city in a proper neighborhood.

Based on little more than random things I had read, I started our search in Oakley and Hyde Park. While we weren't priced out of those areas, what we could get for our money was a bit underwhelming in terms of space (we have a 5 year old boy).

Then, a weird karma turn of events, I was reading here about great neighborhoods and a friend recommended Pleasant Ridge in the same day. Long story short, we are in contract on a gorgeous old home in "The Ridge" on a gaslight street and can't wait to move in at the beginning of December.

Our Lebanon home goes on the market tomorrow, but we can afford to carry both mortgages for as long as needed. I feel like Pleasant Ridge is the neighborhood and house we were really looking for while not putting us in a tighter financial position than we wanted to be in while we wait for our house to sell.

A lot of the reason we gave Pleasant Ridge a look was what posters here have said about it, and for that I say thanks! I'll buy you a beer in gratitude if I run into you at Molly Malone's!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2010, 01:04 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,797,022 times
Pleasant Ridge has some fabulous old sections. I hope yours is in one of these. Best of luck and glad you are staying in Cincinnati.

Old 10-06-2010, 01:36 PM

246 posts, read 1,048,949 times
Congrats! My wife and I lived in Pleasant Ridge for 6-7 years after we were married. Parkview Avenue. It was so great to be able to walk up to Montgomery Road for all the shopping/restaurants/etc. I think you'll love it there.

Old 10-06-2010, 02:51 PM

410 posts, read 586,903 times
I grew up in "The Ridge" ... on a wonderful gaslight street - enjoy!

Old 10-06-2010, 03:18 PM

3,336 posts, read 6,941,753 times
Pleasant ridge really is a fantastic location and is one of our more walkable neighborhoods. You have a bunch of restaurants, a park, library, four schools, a rec center, a couple of convenience stores and neighborhood businesses all within a relatively tight radius surrounded by nice middle-class housing. Plus, there is higher end housing so you can move "up" and stay in the neighborhood. Or if things are tight there are number of nice clean affordable apartments around. So I feel like there is real income diversity. You are also less than ten minutes driving distance to pretty much anything (trader joe, aldi, kenwood mall, all fast food that isn't burger king, french park, home depot, etc etc).

Like most city hoods there is room for improvement, but we'll talk about that another day!

Most of the blocks also have active groups and there are tons of young couples and young families.

Oh, and enjoy the new house. Most of the homes around here are loaded with charm and many still have original details and woodwork.

And bus 2x provides great downtown commuter service.

Thanks for posting!

Old 10-06-2010, 04:35 PM

4,888 posts, read 13,831,089 times
Thank you in return for posting! It reminds me, and doubtlessly other "regulars" as well, that not everyone who reads our stuff ever crosses the radar.
Ahh, Pleasant Ridge, where you can get a 4-way with cheese at 3:30 in the morning when the mood hits!
Swing by the meet-up on the 17th, we'd be glad to take you up on your offer.

Old 10-07-2010, 03:55 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,022,823 times
Glad to hear that your family will now be moving to gas-lit Pleasant Ridge -- when so many families do just the opposite by moving farther and farther out. May I support what other posters have observed about "The Ridge." As for myself, I grew up on a gas-lit street in next-door Kennedy Heights -- thus I also can assure you that this "old line suburb" shares both charm and practicality.

Old 10-07-2010, 08:26 AM

577 posts, read 1,280,657 times
We looked in Pleasant Ridge and like the area but the houses that were available at the time didn't fit our criteria. If we decide to move, Pleasant Ridge is definitely on our short list. We have friends that live there and they love their neighborhood. Friendly neighbors and block parties. Heck, where we live, we know our neighbors names and chat with them from time to time but really don't see them that often. Enjoy the neighborhood.

Old 10-07-2010, 09:27 AM

17,574 posts, read 13,350,601 times
We have friends that live in the Ridge. They love it. Great multi-cultural/ multi-racial area. Their kids are grown and gone, but whenever we visit, there are tons of kids playing in the neighborhood.

Lots of young upwardly mobile families moving back.

Our friend is a lawyer, takes the bus downtown every day. She says the riders have become a "family"

You will be close to churches, )little farther from synagogues), good schools, great shopping and restaurants.

Old 10-07-2010, 10:30 AM

279 posts, read 717,836 times
Yep, I can't really say anything that hasn't already been said. Pleasant Ridge is amazing...been hanging out there since I was a kid. The area near Montgomery and Ridge is just awesome. Everybody's Records, Molly Malones (I'm lucky enough to have a friend who bartends there!), Queen City Comic and Card (not really my thing anymore, but still just a cool place), Emanu, PR Chili, etc etc etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati