U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 10:03 AM

410 posts, read 665,542 times

Advertisements

So my hubby has requested that we visit Cincy before we commit to looking for jobs, etc. This is completely contrary to how I used to conduct things when I was single. I just got the job and moved there.

It will probably be early December, maybe even January before we can make it up there. I hope the cold weather won't scare him. Lol.

Anyhoo, what should we see/do to get the Cincy experience? Tourist things are great, but we really want to get a feel for how it would be to live in Cincy.

We'll probably visit a few neighborhoods to get a handle on where we would like to live. We can probably afford to rent in Hyde Park, Mt. Lookout, etc. I know those two have squares, as well as Mariemont. Any other neighborhoods with village/town squares?

Any restaurant suggetions? And we definitely need a good dive bar recommendation.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2010, 10:14 AM

2,886 posts, read 3,956,094 times
Oakley also has a square, and I recommend you check out Habit's, a comfortable watering hole with decent food, right on the square. Suggest you also have a look at the Pleasant Ridge, and stop in the Gas Light for a beer anda burger that was recently voted fourth best in the area.

Old 10-12-2010, 11:34 AM

9,259 posts, read 13,377,243 times
Depending on when you actually come, the recommendations vary. If you can possibly arrange it, try and make it during the Christmas season. This is when the Duke Energy model train display downtown, the Krohn Conversatory, the Zoo's Festival Of Lights, Fountain Square, plus many others make the season come alive in Cincinnati.

If it ends up being January, that is not all bad. You will definitely get a taste of the winter doldrums in Cincinnati, when we may not see the sun for days. But it is also a good time to see how Cincinnatians cope, and with the abundance of good restaurants and bars it is not all that difficult to do.

I feel it is a very good idea to visit the area prior to making a relocation decision. In today's economy relocation is difficult enough, you really do need to believe you will stay awhile wherever you go, so you need to feel comfortable. Real estate prices in this area are depressed so there are some really good buys. But if you have to move it again in a short time, I would estimate you will be a substantial loser.

Old 10-12-2010, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
I feel it is a very good idea to visit the area prior to making a relocation decision. In today's economy relocation is difficult enough, you really do need to believe you will stay awhile wherever you go, so you need to feel comfortable. Real estate prices in this area are depressed so there are some really good buys. But if you have to move it again in a short time, I would estimate you will be a substantial loser.

Yes, you are right. I get very excited, and it's hard to contain. I guess that's why my hubby is the leveling influence in our relationship.

And you are right about the loser thing. We've lived in our current city for two years and it's been a disaster. Now we're stuck with a house (but at least it's rented) and the hubby had to move an hour away to get work. I'm tempted to let him find a job first, but he won't apply until he's seen the place. I've always gone where the job is since my field of work is not very common, so this is new to me.

Old 10-12-2010, 12:38 PM

31,223 posts, read 57,377,537 times
Hang around in the neighborhoods you think you'd want to live in. Go to the breakfast spots, the grocery stores and the post offices. Drive around at different times of the day and of the week.

What do you guys like to do (aside from your husband wanting a motorcycle)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhousejunkie View Post
Any restaurant suggetions? And we definitely need a good dive bar recommendation.
The City View Tavern in Mt. Adams. Barbecue heaven.

City View Tavern - Mt. Adams - Cincinnati, OH

Old 10-12-2010, 01:09 PM

6 posts, read 8,683 times
the historic licking riverside district just across the river in covington, kentucky is fantastic. covington is full of historic homes, rich history and also has a little square. great bars, restaurants and festivals (when the weather is warm). there can be some characters in the neighborhood, but they typically leave you alone

best of luck! i love cincinnati. i have to reluctantly relocate for a job but fully intend on coming back to ohio. we have some great food and the small but developing cultural/arts scene is fun.

and as for dive bars, there are so many incredible ones in the central cincinnati area, you won't have trouble finding your favorite: crowley's in mt. adams, keystone (good food, too - maybe not a complete dive) in covington, O'Malley's in the Alley downtown, Arthur's in Hyde Park (also not a complete dive...), cabana bar in sayler park, cityview in Mt. Adams...
as for breakfast try price hill chili, echo, keystone bar and grill or bellevue bistro. all really great places!

Last edited by unexpectedmover; 10-12-2010 at 01:18 PM.. Reason: forgot dive bar reco

Old 10-12-2010, 03:25 PM

2,492 posts, read 3,656,995 times
Adding to the great bars list:

Milton's at the base of mount auburn is an awesome place to be in the city. So Cincinnati and so East Coast with a touch of San Francisco.

Arlins in Clifton across from esquire is pretty rad and combines the college bar scene with the neighborhood scene.

Can't go wrong with Tina's downtown either. Sports/neighborhood bar

Old 10-12-2010, 03:48 PM

577 posts, read 1,005,490 times
As far as the dive bars go if you are planning on looking around Hyde Park and Mt. Lookout you definitely won't have far to go to find a dive bar. On Edwards near Hyde Park (technically Norwood) you will find The Pilot - my favorite dive. In East Hyde Park you will find Hap's and Mt. Lookout Square is almost entirely great (dive) bars.

As far as things to see, if you would like to drive around downtown I would make it a point to drive on 4th, 5th, and 8th streets. On 5th you will find Fountain Square, 4th is filled with some great architecture, and 8th is Garfield Place with a great park and sculptures. Also make a point to see some of our great museums like the Art Museum, CAC, Taft, and Fire.

Old 10-12-2010, 04:17 PM

682 posts, read 1,389,021 times
You will want to check out Findlay Market and I'd suggest Dayton street (800-900 block) the Millionairs row if Cincy's grand era. You might find all the restorations of Vine street south of Liberty in OTR interesting as well. You will probably want to check out Northside and definitly the painted ladies in Columbia Tusculum. For the "grand manions" check out Avondale and Walnut Hills.

You might want to check out the Urban Ohio Forums they have some extensive photos of local historic Architecture so you have an idea of the neighborhoods you want to check out.

Since I'm always busy with out restoration I cant really reccommend places to relax.. I never have the time.

Old 10-12-2010, 06:25 PM

Thanks for the recommendations everyone. That's an impressive list of dive bars, which will make my hubby happy.

Restoration Consultant: I appreciate the recs for architecture and for Findley Market. I'm pretty stoked about checking that out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati