U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 09:49 AM

8,717 posts, read 7,021,111 times

Advertisements

I just have to start this, due to the impact it had on me. In the early 70s, I moved to Mason, definitely what you would call a provincial (another term backward) town. I definitely liked buying in the local hardware store, since they still had nails and screws in bins by the pound. But since everyone else had already moved to pre-packaged hardware, you knew you were in a different place. For lawn products we went to the local farm supply outlet. I will admit it was different, but enjoyable. I purchased two pole barn poles to sink in my back yard and string a dog run cable, as I did not want to attempt to fence the yard.

Then, all of a sudden, here comes the new Van Leunens store on Route 42 (Reading Rd) on the south side of Mason. Frankly this was a great place. I was not familiar with the other Van Leunens operations, but the Mason store had to be a premier location for them.

The north end was a grocery store, definitely competitive with the current local competition - Thriftway. The center section was more a department store setup, clothing and general mechandise. The south section I was adicted to - the home/garden and building materials area. First thing I recognized was they handled only first class products. Good prices, but definitely nothing shoddy. Shopped there faithfully until they closed.

I still drive buy the Route 42 location on a regular basis. Portons have been empty for extended periods of time. Compared to when Van Leunens ran their operation there - definitely 2nd or maybe 3rd or even 4th class.

Anyone who had good experiences with Van Leunens, please chime in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2010, 03:02 PM

378 posts, read 552,165 times
Default monfort heights

I mentioned Van Leunen's in the Swallen's thread also. As I mentioned in the Swallen's thread, Van Leunen's in Monfort Heights had an unusual Barbie doll selection. The other toys that were there were also sometimes hard to find elsewhere.
Inventory week in January was the best week to shop there. EVERYTHING was 20 percent off, even stuff that never went on sale otherwise.
Mom and I saw Bob Braun at the Monfort Heights store once. He was in the men's clothing department shopping.
As a little girl, I always liked being outside in the back of the Monfort Heights store because it had the above-ground pools filled with water, and they looked SOOOOOO tempting!

Old 10-20-2010, 04:22 PM

22 posts, read 44,343 times
Van Leunens, I will never forget this store. They had a little of everything. If you could not find one item in the store that caught your attention, then you probably had no pulse. I lived in West Chester, would drive out to Van Leunens with my young kids. We would always enter the store at the South entrance and my kids would just window shop through the pet area, staring at the fish, etc. Then the drive hope was always full of "Daddy can we get that little fishy" and I would reply with a "maybe next time". And there was always a next time.

Old 10-22-2010, 09:27 PM

21 posts, read 56,326 times
correct me if I am wrong but wasn't there one in downtown milford up until the mid 1990's I remember vividly the commercials. It was a "cue ball" breaking a rack of other sports balls (soccer, basketball, etc.). It was a neat store from what I remember. I am really really young to remember this. So I could be off.

Old 11-04-2010, 11:47 AM

5 posts, read 20,196 times
There was one in Milford, and also one in Amelia. I shopped at the Amelia store with my mom once a week starting before I can even remember (we were far-Eastsiders.) One side of the building was Food City and the other was Van Leunen's. Every week I'd take some of my allowance and get a G.I. Joe while my mom did her shopping. They almost always had the one I had my heart set on that week. I also remember the pools outside at one end in the Summer. Always wanted to jump in them myself. They had "Pets & Such" between the grocery side and the department store side, and I'd spit my gum into the koi pond when no one was looking. I was a rotten kid sometimes. Then later on, at the very far end of the Food City side of the building, they opened All About Sports.

I loved Van Leunen's and was bummed when it all closed down.

Old 11-04-2010, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKAVINJ View Post
There was one in Milford, and also one in Amelia. I shopped at the Amelia store with my mom once a week starting before I can even remember (we were far-Eastsiders.) One side of the building was Food City and the other was Van Leunen's. Every week I'd take some of my allowance and get a G.I. Joe while my mom did her shopping. They almost always had the one I had my heart set on that week. I also remember the pools outside at one end in the Summer. Always wanted to jump in them myself. They had "Pets & Such" between the grocery side and the department store side, and I'd spit my gum into the koi pond when no one was looking. I was a rotten kid sometimes. Then later on, at the very far end of the Food City side of the building, they opened All About Sports.

I loved Van Leunen's and was bummed when it all closed down.
I agree, loved the one we had in Mason. The suburban stores must have all had about the same layout. Home Supply at the one end, everything from lumber, concrete, through tools, hardware and paint, you name it. And all top notch brands. The Food Market at the other end, with the department store in the middle. I remember the Pets & Such very well, bought a lot of aquarium supplies there.

In my recollection, it was the food store which was the first to be replaced. I guess they just had too much competion from the large chains. In our location was replaced by All About Sports - now that was a great store long before we ever heard of Dick's or Bass Pro Shops.

I miss our Van Leunen's. The local store had a Thriftway Market move into the original department store area before thjey decided to throw in the towel. The majority of the property has a non-descript store or two open up, struggle for a few months, and close. When I drive by it is quite painful to remember what a robust enterprise Van Leunen's was.

Old 03-19-2011, 11:25 PM

4,232 posts, read 3,102,825 times
There was a Van Leunen's in Hyde Park in the 1980s.

Old 04-03-2011, 04:58 AM

35 posts, read 33,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccstout View Post
correct me if I am wrong but wasn't there one in downtown milford up until the mid 1990's I remember vividly the commercials. It was a "cue ball" breaking a rack of other sports balls (soccer, basketball, etc.). It was a neat store from what I remember. I am really really young to remember this. So I could be off.
Van Leunens I believe always had a Sports of all Sorts right next to it which had that logo or emblem I believe! Favorite stores when I was in Elementary school, just because they always had the Cincinnati Rockers Jerseys and a indoor putt putt course.! The one in Newport had Van Leunens, Pet store and Sports of all Sorts at least.

Old 04-03-2011, 04:02 PM

I was not familiar with all of their outlying stores, but the one in Mason was terrific. At one end was the home improvement store, hardware, paint & wallpaper, plumbing, you name it they had it. This included the outer buildings which had lumber, insullation, concrete, both blocks and bags. I spent many a Saturday there. Next to it was the Pets & Such. Spent quite a bit of time there also with my multiple aquarium projects, pumps, filters, the whole nine yards. The general merchandise Van Leunen's department store was in the center. The opposite end was originally a quite nice full complement food supermarket. In our area this was the first one to go, replaced by a Sports of All Sorts store.

I basically miss it because I was never disappointed in the quality of the merchandise they handled.

When Van Leunens in Mason basically shut down, Thriftway moved into the general merchandise store. Why I will never know, as the ceiling height and everything else is not conducive to an attractive supermarket. For years the home improvement end of the complex has basically been empty, with the outer pole buildings originally housing lumber, insullation, and such falling into disrepair. I have hoped Mason would require them to either be repaired or demolished.

In recent time, the original complex has been sub-divided over and over. Tuesday Morning, a store which I patronize in other areas of Cincy opened up and then closed in about six months. Dollar General has a store there now. Next to them is Harbor Freight, a discount made everywhere but in the US tool store. The Sports Of All Sorts space is now partially occupied by a do-it-yourself unfinished furniture store.

When I think back as to what Van Leunens operated and what I remember going there I become despondent.

Old 04-15-2011, 03:18 PM

5 posts, read 20,196 times
It was All About Sports, folks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati