Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2010, 08:08 PM

2,785 posts, read 6,631,303 times

Advertisements

What exactly is goetta? lol Sorry, I didn't feel like going back and reading what it is if someone already posted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2010, 01:06 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,795,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beavercreek33 View Post
What exactly is goetta? lol Sorry, I didn't feel like going back and reading what it is if someone already posted.
Back up 2 pages and you will find a complete recipe I posted.

To the original OP, sorry for highjacking your thread. But when someone attacks goetta I am going to respond. I hope you are having some success in determining what part of Cincinnati may be most appealing for you to live.

Old 10-29-2010, 09:49 AM

350 posts, read 880,109 times
Sometimes I wonder what's in that cardboard they call goetta at the Red Squirrel.

Old 10-31-2010, 06:05 AM

To the original OP, TheReason. As I have said, sorry for high-jacking your post.

But I will comment, I feel there are more similarities between Pittsburgh and Cincinnati than differences. I feel these still exist though they have been diluted recently.
. Pittsburgh or the Steel City.
. Cincinnati or the Machine Tool Capital of the World.

When I was a young working man, both of the above were true. I worked for a Cincy machine tool co. and we sold a lot of equipment to the steel mills around Pittsburgh. I spent a lot of time in Pittsburgh and enjoyed it thoroughly, as it felt like home. The associations I made on the job in Pittsburgh, the time spent after work enjoying a tap or two, stick in my mind.

Even the differences in the predominant businesses I feel are similar. Pittsburgh also has Heinz, Cincy has P&G, both global forces. Steel and catsup, machinery and soap, very dissimilar but easy to understand once you view the work ethic of the local population.

You should not have any difficulty in identifying an area in Cincy where you will feel comfortable. I will be very disturbed if you cannot identify a location in Cincy which appeals to you. As far as I am concerned the differences between Pittsburgh and Cincinnati pale compared to the rest of the country.

Old 11-01-2010, 11:23 AM

73 posts, read 158,045 times
Almost every male relative on my mother's side worked at Cincy Milling Machine from WWI into the 1950's. They came from a long line of german bakers, but CMM got them through the Depression and more. Although many of their WWI/WWII draft cards note missing fingers ;-)

Old 11-05-2010, 09:51 PM

94 posts, read 422,728 times
So I've been here a week... here are my thoughts.

Now granted, when I lived in Pittsburgh, I lived in the City. Here, I live in Fairfield.

Pittsburgh is much more ethnic and diverse. Cincinnati is simply white and black. In Pittsburgh, there are areas of very strong ethnic and cultural surroundings. For example, in Squirrel Hill you have a VERY strong Jewish community. In Mt. Lebanon you have a strong Lebanese base. Monroeville is a good mix of everything, but you def have a strong Muslim base. Shadyside is frequented by a large gay population, Southside is very safe urban 20's, Pleasant Hills is full of Greek and Italians, I could go on and on...

I miss that aspect of Pittsburgh a lot.

Cincinnati, at least the area I'm in, seems much more clean than Pittsburgh. Sometimes I forget where I'm at because I see so many cars with STEELERS stuff on them. Its amazing how big of a fan base the Steelers have.

People around here seem a lot more County... I haven't heard people talk about playing "Corn Hole" since I went to college in West Virginia.

I'm a little homesick, but all and all, Cincinnati has been good to me so far.

Old 11-06-2010, 02:56 AM

Glad to hear you are off to a good start, though a week is a short trial. I believe if you give Cincinnati a chance it will reward you. Certainly, right now, the job has to be number one, since so many have been losing theirs.

With time, you may identify more of the ethnicity you say you miss. If not, it may be to Cincinnati's credit. While the Germans may have been the largest contingent of immigrants to Cincinnati, I know there were many others - Irish, Poles, Italians, etc. If they have now been assimilated into the greater community such that it is difficult to identify a specific neighborhood, is that not a good thing? Frankly absorption into the community as a whole I would deem desirable. As the great Melting Pot, I would like to see it melted to the point the original ingredients are indistinguishable.

Old 11-06-2010, 08:03 AM

3,336 posts, read 6,941,150 times
when i go to fairfield or hamilton it is a lot more "country" than any of the city neighborhoods. so you may be comparing apples and oranges...but we do still play cornhole in the city.

Old 12-04-2010, 01:39 PM

71 posts, read 191,988 times
The ethnicity exists, but you really have to hunt for it. I'm a Pittsburgh transplant, myself, and I still miss that aspect, even though I've lived here for 20 years. I find that the west side of Cincinnati has more ethnic diversity than the east side, and I also find that areas of Middletown and Mason have some diversity. Still, you have to look for it. One good way to do that is by going to some of the local festivals you'll see advertised in the paper. There is really good Greek restaurant in Middletown. I'm sure others know the Fairfield area better than I do. I know of a couple really great Mexican places in Hamilton. You'll find your faves eventually. Welcome to Cincy :-)

Old 04-14-2011, 07:32 PM

94 posts, read 422,728 times
A little update. It's been a little over 5 months.

PROS

-It seems to be a lot cleaner here.
-Not nearly as many vacant buildings/businesses... In fact, it seems the opposite, there a lot of newer developments.
-The "parkway" here has more than 2 lanes, so you're not backed up 10 miles if youre trying to get in or out of the city.
-A lot less snow in the winter.

CONS

-I haven't really been able to find a decent hangout on the weekends.
-Ive had a very hard time finding good employees, majority of the professionals I've hired in their 20's are flat out lazy!
-Gas is more expensive.
-The Bengals and Carson Palmer

All and all, I like it here. No complaints that I can't live through...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati