Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2012, 09:55 PM

7,050 posts, read 8,870,257 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEFogel View Post
Where is Mellish and Bathgate? I am new to Cincinnati.
It's close to the MLK overpass on I-71, near where the old Jewish hospital used to be, I can remember the old Melish St. from when I went to UC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2012, 09:22 AM

1 posts, read 1,997 times
The "Bake Shop" on Melish Ave. was a sheltered workshop for many Jewish refugees from the Hitler regime, many mentally and physicaslly handicpped. In addition to its baked goods, it also had a Tea Room on the lower level which was very popular with the nurses and doctors who worked in the hospitals adjacent to the shop. It was sponsored by the Jewish Family Services, and after WW2, was closed as most of those employed had been fairly assimilated into the US culture. It had no relationship to Klosterman's or any other institution.

Old 09-01-2014, 01:11 PM

1 posts, read 1,669 times
Default Jewish Bake Shop

I am retired in Boquete in the highlands of Panama and am fulfilling a life dream of running a small Jewish bakery. Part of my fantasy is re-creating some of the great delicacies that I enjoyed growing up in Cincinnati. I served on the board of the Jewish Bakery shortly before its demise. Many of my recipes had their beginnings in the rugelach, schnecken, coffee cakes, rye breads etc. that I enjoyed as a kid and young adult.

Right now, I am looking for any old recipe that might still be available. I can be reached at morabkin@gmailcom.

Thanks for any assistance in my search.

Old 09-01-2014, 10:19 PM

13 posts, read 37,961 times
Not familiar with this bakery but am a bread enthusiast.

A book you may find helpful is:Inside the Jewish Bakery: Recipes and Memories from the Golden Age of Jewish Baking by Stanley Ginsberg and Norman Berg. Norman had 25 years of experience in bakeries so is helpful in a real world sort of way.

This is a link to a Youtube video showing him teaching how to correctly shape Kaiser rolls (not a fake stamped roll).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lX9vAUb9y7I

Greenstein and Maggie Gleezer are the other authors who have authored books you might find helpful.

A Blessing of Bread: The Many Rich Traditions of Jewish Bread Baking Around the World by Maggie Glezer.

Secrets of a Jewish Baker: Recipes for 125 Breads from Around the World by George Greenstein

There was also a book tracing the history of Bialy's

Old 09-03-2014, 08:37 PM

17,352 posts, read 13,092,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinkies5 View Post
I am looking for information about a jewish bakery that hired many immigrants. Members of my mothers family worked there. I don't know the name of the bakery, I found hand written notes of my mothers mentioning melish avenue.
Are you thinking about Buccheim;s on Burnet???

Old 02-24-2016, 11:01 PM

1 posts, read 1,277 times
In 1940 - 1952 I lived at 425 Melish Ave. which was across the street from the Jewish Bakery. It had a tea room down stairs.
There were a number of Jewish folks in the area. The Rockdale Temple was on Rockdale Ave - about 8 blocks North and it was the sponsor / home of Boy Scout Troop 75. I spent my scouting years there.
J.D. MacAulay

Old 09-06-2016, 12:31 AM

5 posts, read 6,439 times
Default Cincinnati Jewish Bake Shop

The bake shop you are describing sounds like the Cincinnati Jewish Bake Shop. It was on Melish and a lot of immigrants worked there. They trained immigrants, orphans, etc with the skill of baking as opposed to giving them charity. My grandmother, Sarah Golfman, was trained there and then went on to open her own bake shop.

I know that Sarah's Bake Shop was located at 680 Forest Avenue and was open minimally from 1940-1944, however, I am having difficulty finding out the name of the shop, photos, or anything else about it. If anyone has any information I would appreciate it.

sshuller@aol.com

Old 09-06-2016, 10:26 PM

5 posts, read 6,439 times
I'm searching for the name of a Bake Shop located at 680 Forest Avenue in the late 1930's-early 1940's. Minimally, I'm positive it was open from 1940-44. It was owned by my grandmother, Sarah Golfman, but I don't know the name of it. Any information, photos, etc you might be able to locate for me I will be very appreciative of.
*As a kid, I always referred to it as "Golfman's Bakery", but one of my cousins says she can't remember the name, but that wasn't it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati