U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2007, 12:48 PM

5 posts, read 10,985 times

Advertisements

Hey folks. I'm a mid-thirties single professional male who works for the government, and I was recently offered a transfer to Charlotte from Cincinnati. I'm originally from VA, but have lived in the Cincy area for the last six years. It's not the greatest city on earth, but there is plenty to do here, and I'm in a pretty good situation at work. Charlotte offers me the chance to be closer to home and closer to the beach. Anyway, I'm struggling with my decision on whether to move to Charlotte or stay here. I've even done my pro's and cons list, and I'm split right down the middle. I've been to Charlotte a few times and it's a very modern city compared to Cincy. It's also growing rapidly where as Cincinnati is well past its prime. Both cities have crime, but in Cincy it is more confined to certain areas and in Charlotte it seems to be everywhere. My problem is I have to let my supervisor know Monday morning what my decision is. Does anyone out there have any insight or advice to offer? I would greatly appreciate your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2007, 10:25 AM

443 posts, read 1,018,680 times
MOve to Charlotte

Old 07-11-2007, 02:46 PM

2,180 posts, read 4,920,729 times
Well, sorry I didn't see this sooner. I'm not sure I would have known what to tell you, as I've never been to Charlotte. But since it's now Wednesday, what did you decide?

Old 07-19-2007, 02:04 PM

38 posts, read 175,006 times
Default Move to Charlotte

Charlotte is a super-progressive city. It is part of the New South movement, offering affordable housing, great quality of life, job growth, and superior shopping. Cincinnati is a great city, but cannot compete with Charlotte. Charlotte is bigger and receives more attention. Charlotte also offers light rail and a lower cost of living which would be two of the reasons why I'd make the move. You will be closer to the beach and experience all four seasons equally with the exception of summer being about a month longer than Cincinnati. The interstates are wider and speeds are faster, making your commute times shorter. As with any southern city, with the exception of Savannah, Charleston, and Miami, you will have to depend on your car for most things. If you are wanting more information, then I suggest you look at these websites:

Charlotte Mecklenburg Living (http://www.charmeck.org/living/home.htm - broken link)

Visit Charlotte :: Home

Old 07-19-2007, 07:06 PM

40 posts, read 186,854 times
Just to make sure the correct information is posted. Charlotte is growing faster, but the metro is smaller. Cincinnati has all the amenities a big city without many of the hassles. You might be referring to the city proper (Cincy is only 78 square miles and has not annexed), but here are the most recent stats from the census:

Cincinnati
2006 2,104,218

Charlotte:
2006 1,583,016

Old 07-20-2007, 12:50 PM

23 posts, read 118,219 times
I'm interested in knowing what you did. I grew up in Cincinnati and now live in Chapel Hill, NC. having been to Charlotte many times, if the job ids one you'd like., GO!!!!!! A beautiful city, great neighborhoods. being in your mid 30's is ideal. OK, weather is hot and humid (nothing like Cincy....much worse), but hey, we get warm weather (warm enough to garden, play outdoors, etc., 101/2 months out of the year. Charlotte is close to the beach, mountains & Atlanta. And the airport is one of the most beautiful ones I've been in. Yes, I love Cincinnati, but my love for the city is based on a lot of wonderful memories, not the city it is now.

Old 07-28-2007, 09:15 AM

38 posts, read 175,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenCty View Post
Just to make sure the correct information is posted. Charlotte is growing faster, but the metro is smaller. Cincinnati has all the amenities a big city without many of the hassles. You might be referring to the city proper (Cincy is only 78 square miles and has not annexed), but here are the most recent stats from the census:

Cincinnati
2006 2,104,218

Charlotte:
2006 1,583,016
This is incorrect because you are comparing the CSA or combined statistical area of Cincinnati to the MSA or Metropolitan Statistical Area of Charlotte. Here are the actual correct populations of the cities:

Cincinnati MSA
2006 1,749,241

Cincinnati CSA
2006 2,104,233

Charlotte MSA
2006 1,626,694

Charlotte CSA
2006 2,419,078

These figures come from wikipedia and the Charlotte Chamber of Commerce. So while the MSA is larger for Cincinnati, the CSA is significantly smaller. Market trends and regional significance such as business relocation or housing statistics are usually based on CSA's becuase they are more reflective of the region's standing in the U.S. An example of this would be that while Atlanta only has about 500,000 in its city limits, the CSA has about 5.5 million.

Old 07-28-2007, 11:39 AM

2 posts, read 6,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unctheel View Post
I'm interested in knowing what you did. I grew up in Cincinnati and now live in Chapel Hill, NC. having been to Charlotte many times, if the job ids one you'd like., GO!!!!!! A beautiful city, great neighborhoods. being in your mid 30's is ideal. OK, weather is hot and humid (nothing like Cincy....much worse), but hey, we get warm weather (warm enough to garden, play outdoors, etc., 101/2 months out of the year. Charlotte is close to the beach, mountains & Atlanta. And the airport is one of the most beautiful ones I've been in. Yes, I love Cincinnati, but my love for the city is based on a lot of wonderful memories, not the city it is now.
I can't believe it, but I agree with the Tarheel. I live in the Triangle, and I'll never move back to Cincy or anywhere with significant snow ever again. When choosing between the Queen Cities, I would choose Charlotte.

The biggest area where Cincy is better is public schools. The only public school system in NC which approaches Sycamore, Forest Hills, Indian Hill, etc. is Chapel Hill-Carrboro (with CH-C being a little bit better than any of those listed). Since all the housing is newer, you probably will not live in as nice a neighborhood as if you stayed in Cincy for the same salary.

Minor areas you might miss are the Reds, unique items of Cincy cuisine (LaBullBoxer31, chili), Delta (v. USAir). You will get to experience Bojangles and BBQ instead.

Old 07-28-2007, 01:51 PM

56 posts, read 238,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hectorector View Post
This is incorrect because you are comparing the CSA or combined statistical area of Cincinnati to the MSA or Metropolitan Statistical Area of Charlotte. Here are the actual correct populations of the cities:

Cincinnati MSA
2006 1,749,241

Cincinnati CSA
2006 2,104,233

Charlotte MSA
2006 1,626,694

Charlotte CSA
2006 2,419,078

These figures come from wikipedia and the Charlotte Chamber of Commerce. So while the MSA is larger for Cincinnati, the CSA is significantly smaller.
The Wikipedia page about the "Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky metropolitan area" is wrong. Here are the official 2006 MSA and CSA figures for Cincinnati and Charlotte straight from the U.S. Census Bureau:

Cincinnati-Middletown MSA

Cincinnati-Middletown-Wilmington CSA

Charlotte-Gastonia-Concord MSA

Charlotte-Gastonia-Salisbury CSA

http://www.census.gov/population/www/estimates/metro_general/2006/CBSA-EST2006-01.xls (broken link)

http://www.census.gov/population/www/estimates/metro_general/2006/CBSA-EST2006-02.xls (broken link)

BTW, Wikipedia is correct on these pages:

United States metropolitan area - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Combined Statistical Area - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by OHBuckeye; 07-28-2007 at 02:06 PM..

Old 07-30-2007, 07:39 PM

40 posts, read 186,854 times
Actually, I pulled the information directly from the bureau. The Census this year specifically measured metros, which came directly from this link and match exactly the numbers I posted: Metropolitan and Micropolitan Statistical Area Estimates (http://www.census.gov/popest/metro.html - broken link).

I did not see anything on the Census site about CSA's (although OHBuckeye appears to have found them), but am not sold on those - it seems like too many places that really are not part of the city/metro get added. For example, Salt Lake City goes from 1 million to 1.5 million. Also, metros seem to be the more widely used measure, and you will see that this is used in USA Today (and most papers across the country) and the World Almanac each year. Interestingly, Charlotte has places like Salisbury included, and that looks like it is 42 miles from Charlotte. That is quite a bump from metro to CSA (not sure where 2.4 million came from, it actually looks to be what is stated below). Are many of the extra 600,000 that far away?

Food for thought - you will notice that Cincy only saw a gain of 43,000 from metro to CSA, but if you went 42 miles north Cincinnati you would begin picking up Dayton. This would create a metroplex of about 3.2 million, which will probably be created with the 2010 census as many suburbs between the two have commuters to both cities. I am not a fan of these extended boundaries, but I guess we should take advantage of proximity as many other cities have much smaller communities of a similar distance already included.

Last edited by QueenCty; 07-30-2007 at 08:35 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati