U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 02:40 PM

3 posts, read 6,898 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I am moving to Cinci and need to make a decision in the next 2 days about where to live. I am coming from Minneapolis and am a city girl at heart. I want to live in Mt Adams, but I had only 2 days to look for a place and nothing quite fit. I like the quaint feel of Mt Adams and LOVE that it's right next to DT.

I am down to 2 options: a 6-mo temp lease in suburbia and hope that something in Mt Adams opens up (this is when my husband will move out - movers will actually be doing the moving), or a 12-month lease on a cool looking place downtown near 8th & Elm. If we hate it after then, we can look for a Mt Adams place, but we would end up moving all of our stuff ourselves.

I have not had the chance to hang out in DT Cinci, and I don't know if it's right for me and safe as a single female. I run in the early mornings and early evenings, and I generally like to be out and about exploring. I will be working in the Blue Ash area, so most of my time hanging out in downtown will be on the weekends.

My main questions:
- Is there stuff to do DT on the weekends? Is it a fun place to be out and about? Do a lot of people live DT? Or is it more of a ghost town on the weekends?
- Is it safe for me to be running/walking around? I currently love running through DT Minneapolis and surrounding urban areas, but I know that it's (generally) safe.
- Am I crazy for paying the price to live DT - e.g., parking - when I don't need to be here?
- Why the hell is there no grocery store DT when Kroger is based here?! (you don't need to answer this one but feel free to)

Anything else you want to tell me.. I am all ears.

Thanks! BTW - this forum is amazing!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2010, 04:46 PM

1 posts, read 4,589 times
Hi Catty,

I'm new on this board, so I'm hopeful some veterans will be able to chime in. I've lived downtown for the last two years, in the South West corner near the convention center and a few blocks away from Fountain Square, and a few blocks almost directly south of where you're looking. I grew up in the suburbs of Cincinnati and lived in other cities of a similar size in the US & EU before coming back here.

Downtown is not nearly as bad as suburbanites will make it out to be, and not as good (yet) as the young gentrifiers and downtown boosters say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catty Schmatty Cincinnati View Post
My main questions:
- Is there stuff to do DT on the weekends? Is it a fun place to be out and about? Do a lot of people live DT? Or is it more of a ghost town on the weekends?
There are nice museums (CAC, Taft Museum, Museum Center at Union Terminal, itself a beautiful piece of architecture), good theatre (local stuff at Know in OTR, shows at Aronoff, world class opera and CSO performances at Music Hall), decent dining options, pricey/swanky cocktail bars and dive bars. The business district clears out on weekday nights, but people come downtown for weekend nights.

The lower part of Over The Rhine ("The Gateway Quarter", east of where you'd be and north of Central Pkwy) is having a bit of a renaissance, and there are some neat places there, like a restaurant/bar called Senate that serves haute street food, and Joe's Diner, which stays open into the early AM. However, I would be more cautious about walking around OTR alone at night than other places DT.

Quote:
- Is it safe for me to be running/walking around? I currently love running through DT Minneapolis and surrounding urban areas, but I know that it's (generally) safe.
I haven't felt unsafe walking around downtown by myself at night, but I might not feel the same way if I were a woman. You will encounter people asking you for money. I have never been physically assaulted downtown, but I have had to tell people on a couple occasions to back off.
Quote:
- Am I crazy for paying the price to live DT - e.g., parking - when I don't need to be here?
Don't know what rents are like in the suburbs, but yes, you will need to add about $100 a month for parking, and of course time and aggravation for your commute.
Quote:
- Why the hell is there no grocery store DT when Kroger is based here?! (you don't need to answer this one but feel free to)
Good question. There's a tiny, shady Kroger downtown, and some little corner stores. There's also Findlay Market in Over the Rhine, which is a pretty neat place with some nice vendors for produce/meats/cheeses/etc. A local chef who runs Mayberry and has a stall at Findlay Market is opening small <1000sf grocery store([url]http://j.mp/9mx7Yg[/url]), supposedly in the next few weeks (his twitter says pending regulatory approval) on, I think, 7th east of Fountain Square. Park & Vine, "Cincinnati's Green General Store" is moving to a larger space to offer organic produce/food. ( [url]http://j.mp/d4QdwI[/url] )

Good luck with your decision.

Last edited by saul_o; 11-03-2010 at 04:48 PM.. Reason: fixed links

Old 11-04-2010, 07:29 AM

2,886 posts, read 4,098,849 times
I am no expert on the subject of downtown living, but the above posting certainly looks accurate and well-balanced. As a woman old enough to be your mom, I'd probably recommend you take Option #1 and spend that six months--which will pass quickly--sizing up the situation in the downtown area from a safe if boring suburban base. That way, if you want to settle downtown in a more permanent way, you'll have had a chance to make a more informed decision when you do.

In fact, for a newcomer I'd probably recommend the six-month lease over the 12-month one in any circumstances. All cities are alike in certain ways, and drastically different in others.

Old 11-04-2010, 08:19 AM

3,340 posts, read 5,907,782 times
if you're looking at the waldo on 8th and elm. that is a nice apartment building. recently renovated. it also has the oldest elevator in the city. i mean, it is up to code, i am just pointing out that it is a cool historical building. you may also be talking about garfield place or whatever those apartments are called. those are pretty new construction and typically fully occupied.

there are a number of young professionals in the area and you will be safe in that location. however, you will see homeless people daily and from time to time you will be asked for spare change. it isn't like mt adams, which is 100% isolated from your poorer groups of people.

what i don't know is if you are working downtown. if you are working downtown, living downtown is simply awesome. you have no commute whatsoever. also you are in walking distance to many restaurants and a bar district. you will not be in walking distance to a real grocery store.

if you really liked mt adams, also check out liberty hill / prospect hill. it is a well-established residential enclave just north of downtown. closer than mount adams. east walnut hills is another area worth considering.

our downtown isn't as far along as Minneapolis, but there is still a solid downtown population.

you are fine running and exercising downtown. you have to stop at a lot of crosswalks, but once you get down to the riverfront you can get some nice runs in. i have run in and around downtown many times and i always pass other runners - male and female.

it is a lifestyle choice. it is more expensive and parking is difficult. on the other hand, you have tons of cultural events, restaurants, bars, and maybe work, right there. it is ultimately a lifestyle choice.

if you sign a 12 month lease downtown - you might decide to move into one of the neighborhoods like mt adams or northside or clifton after your lease expires - but i don't think you will ever wonder why the hell you wanted to live downtown.

other areas with ample parking and short-term leases but aren't far-flung -- check out kenwood, mount washington, pleasant ridge, silverton, amberley village, and madeira. if you find yourself in the suburbs, avoid a commute along i-75 at all costs. it is gridlock 6 hours a day. i-71 is much better.

Last edited by progmac; 11-04-2010 at 08:30 AM..

Old 11-04-2010, 10:21 AM

120 posts, read 220,747 times
OP will be working in Blue Ash. I'm not sure that working there and living downtown is worth the commute for the urban life?

But I'm a Northwestsider so I don't know much about the commute up I-71

Old 11-04-2010, 10:28 AM

3,340 posts, read 5,907,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandasene View Post
OP will be working in Blue Ash. I'm not sure that working there and living downtown is worth the commute for the urban life?

But I'm a Northwestsider so I don't know much about the commute up I-71
thanks for pointing that out. i should read more carefully. i think in that case it makes sense to live close to work for now while you learn the city and then move into the city later if you want to.

Old 11-04-2010, 10:47 AM

94 posts, read 210,649 times
I would live downtown as a single woman. The main reason I haven't moved there in the past was that my significant other didn't want to, and I have a very large dog that I wouldn't want to take out every time she needs to use the restroom. If I were to be single again, and my dog should pass, I would certainly move downtown. Because you work in Blue Ash, I think that is a case in its self to live downtown. You will get really bored in the suburbs, especially like Blue Ash if you are by yourself. Great for families, but not for single women that love urban environments.
There are definitely areas I would avoid at night. During the day, it's not bad. I've walked from Findlay st (market) to 5th street and the only thing that "happened" was a guy asked if I needed a man (him) to carry my bags. I told him I was taken, and he said "oh man" and left me alone. He didn't even get within 10 feet of me.
I personally like the housing up on Sycamore, but if I could afford it, I would go more south between 3-8th streets. It's not as sketchy, more people, more things to do, and closer to my job (and 71 ramp is right on 5th street)

Old 11-05-2010, 06:08 AM

2,204 posts, read 5,957,792 times
I actually wanted to live in the burbs and the wifey didn't (she wasn't very familiar with Cincinnati).

She talked me into moving into it and so we got a loft at the Shillito Lofts on 7th St. Fast-forward ... we ended up living there for 2.5 years and to be honest, fell in love with Downtown living and Downtown Cincinnati ... So much so - that we now own a condo near Downtown and OTR.

Do yourself a favor ... If you find a space available, take it. I'd recommend: Sycamore Place, Shillito Lofts, Kinsey Flats, Groton Lofts.

If your income is sufficient to live in Mt. Adams, then you can probably afford to rent out a condo from someone (usually a P&G'er) at Grayden Lofts and 18th East 4th Lofts.

Some of the comments so far steering you away from the idea tell their knowledge on the subject right there on your screen. "Well, I'm not that familiar with the scenario, but I'd recommend ...."

Then don't recommend it.

Minne is a cool-ass city and there are suburbanites that will steer people away from living in Downtown Minne just as they will here, but you already know better.

"Oh no ... not a homeless person." Give me a break.

Old 11-05-2010, 06:12 AM

2,204 posts, read 5,957,792 times
BTW, there's a really cool market in Over-the-Rhine called Findlay Market, if you're on 8th, you can walk, if you're on 4th, it's a 5 min. bus ride (but soon to be linked up with our new Streetcar Line).

Also, The Banks is proposing a 35,000 sq. ft. grocery store.

Old 11-05-2010, 06:44 AM

2,539 posts, read 3,509,764 times
I think you may be happier in Mt. Adams, Hyde Park, or Clifton Gaslight than downtown. My wife (girlfriend at the time) lived in the prospect hill neighborhood for 5 years before we were married. While overall she enjoyed the experience, overall there were some difficulties associated with the neighborhood that prevented her from really being able to take advantage of her proximity to all of the sights of downtown. Mt. Adams is much more of an urban walking environment than downtown for a single woman in my opinion, followed closely by Clifton Gaslight and Hyde Park. Apartments in these areas can be a bit pricey for some budgets, but in some ways they pay for themselves.

On a more affordable budget, I would recommend the Northside neighborhood, although it can be a bit of a commute to Blue Ash.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or