Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 11:25 AM

2,310 posts, read 6,824,560 times

Advertisements

I visit Cincy a couple times per year and it seems for a city this size and this far in land, there is a disporportionate # of sushi restaurants (whether part of a Thai restaurant or serving sushi alone). A number of them are 1/2 price either all the time or 1 night per week. (I've been to Beluga and Ichiban and I plan to try Dancing Wasabi next door to Ichiban plus a sushi buffet in Mason).

I've put reviews on Yelp on several of these joints, and Beluga is my fav so far for sashimi but their rice is hard like rocks (that's why I'd avoid sushi and rolls there). Ichiban is fine, but stingy.

Questions are:
- WHY are there so many (ok maybe this question sounds stupid but are Cincy people hooked on sushi)?
- Which one offers the best value (freshest ingredient, generous servings, good quality rice, etc.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2010, 12:56 PM

577 posts, read 1,280,558 times
It does seem like sushi runs rampant around here anymore - heck, supermarkets have someone on staff rolling sushi. I have tried sushi at several different places but so far my favorite is Wild Ginger in Hyde Park.

More than sushi, it seems like there are A LOT of Thai restaurants in the area. Of those I like Ban Thai in Eastgate and Mae Ploy in Highland Heights.

Old 11-09-2010, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deg1114 View Post
More than sushi, it seems like there are A LOT of Thai restaurants in the area.
I was thinking the same thoughts too - Thai food is all over the place. A friend of mine who lived in Cincy took me to Teak several years ago. She claimed it was the best in town. I've revisited at least 3-4 times since. However, my very last time turned me off. I had sushi then a curry dish. Guess what, I found a fly in the curry. Aside from this, I was given a table off the stairwell and I was completely neglected the whole time, making it difficult to get any service. So I haven't returned since, and I probably won't as long as there are other good Thai restaurants in town.

My last visit was to Ruthai (located close to Ichiban) and the taste was pretty good. I also like that they have brown rice.

Old 11-09-2010, 03:07 PM

^
Agree. I have never been a big fan of Teak and in fact I haven't been in years. I will definitely have to try Ruthai - thanks for the recomendation!

Old 11-10-2010, 10:00 AM

112 posts, read 152,531 times
Lemon Grass is an absolute must if you like Thai food. It's practically an institution. Wild Ginger is excellent too, as is their sushi.

Old 11-10-2010, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjakucyk View Post
Lemon Grass is an absolute must if you like Thai food. It's practically an institution. Wild Ginger is excellent too, as is their sushi.
Lemon Grass is good as is Wild Ginger. I believe they are owned by the same people - I could be wrong on that. My favorite sushi is Wild Ginger's Rock and Roll Sushi.

So far the only Thai I do not like is The Blue Elephant. I have not found anything there that is worth eating.

Old 11-10-2010, 11:59 AM

112 posts, read 152,531 times
Wild Ginger is run by the ex-wife of the owner of Lemon Grass. Interestingly, she's Thai, but he's actually Chinese. I don't know the circumstances of their separation, but it doesn't seem to be adversarial, like the situation between the brother owners of Ambar and Amol India in Clifton.

It is a curious situation why we have such a strong presence of Asian restaurants (Thai, Sushi, Indian, and various fusions of them) despite a pretty small Asian population. I think it's great considering the circumstances, though I do wish we had some better Mexican restaurants too.

Old 11-10-2010, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjakucyk View Post
It is a curious situation why we have such a strong presence of Asian restaurants (Thai, Sushi, Indian, and various fusions of them) despite a pretty small Asian population. I think it's great considering the circumstances, though I do wish we had some better Mexican restaurants too.
I never quite understood that myself. Now, if you are talking Mexican food, my two favorites are El Toro and the one we recently tried downtown, Taqueria Mercado.

Old 11-10-2010, 04:34 PM

1,130 posts, read 2,542,514 times
I can walk to FIVE sushi/Thai restaurants from my house!!! It's ridiculous! Give it up people, it's no longer cool and trendy. In fact, it's pretty comical, watching people think they are so hip. HAH!

Old 11-10-2010, 06:46 PM

Personal preference: I'd rather have a large choice in Thai/sushi restaurants than just one Americanized Chinese food places after another.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati