U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-15-2011, 06:31 PM

854 posts, read 727,442 times

Advertisements

This time around the project is shovel ready. All of the studies are done, the bids are out on the vehicles, the ballot iniative has been defeated, and a pro streetcar council has been elected to office. We were denied the funds the first time around because the city didn't show that it was dedicated to the project. I think things will go our way this time around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2011, 11:02 PM

2,485 posts, read 2,152,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
One thing I don't understand.

The City of Cincinnati was unsuccessful with two previous TIGER applications in 2009 and 2010. TIGER III grant winners are expected to be announced by the end of 2011.

Why are the expectations for TIGER III any different?
A lot is different, kjbrill, not the least of which is the planning and stage that this project is at now. The first time we failed to attract the funds, the primary reason was we weren't far along at all in terms of being ready to go. Now this thing is getting done with or without TIGER. The additional funds, however, would allow the original concept to be realized.

I would suspect that Cincinnati is looking very good this time around.

Old 11-17-2011, 07:09 AM

8,731 posts, read 7,122,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abr7rmj View Post
A lot is different, kjbrill, not the least of which is the planning and stage that this project is at now. The first time we failed to attract the funds, the primary reason was we weren't far along at all in terms of being ready to go. Now this thing is getting done with or without TIGER. The additional funds, however, would allow the original concept to be realized.

I would suspect that Cincinnati is looking very good this time around.
Glad for you optimism, but I just do not see it. The USDOT has released the following, Tiger III grant requests total 828 and $14.1 Billion out of a total of $527 Million available. Are you still as confident about Cincinnati's position?

Old 11-17-2011, 08:50 AM

2,338 posts, read 2,163,390 times
It seems silly to speculate on what the city's chances are. However, it does seem equally silly to think that the city would be awarded the full amount of the application, i.e., amounting to about 10 percent of the total funds available. It's somewhat instructive to look at the list of awards from the last round. http://www.dot.gov/docs/tiger2grantinfo.pdf (broken link) Although I'd love to see the city awarded anything at all, based on what DOT paid for last time I don't think it looks promising. And not to be cynical, I know the process is supposed to be nonpartisan, but our governor can't be exactly at the top of any popularity lists of the current federal administration.

Old 11-17-2011, 08:52 AM

2,338 posts, read 2,163,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CinciFan View Post
This time around the project is shovel ready. All of the studies are done, the bids are out on the vehicles, the ballot iniative has been defeated, and a pro streetcar council has been elected to office. We were denied the funds the first time around because the city didn't show that it was dedicated to the project. I think things will go our way this time around.
An interesting contention about why the grant request was turned down. I'd research it myself if I had any idea how to. Can you help me out with a link to your source? Thanks.

Old 11-17-2011, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Glad for you optimism, but I just do not see it. The USDOT has released the following, Tiger III grant requests total 828 and $14.1 Billion out of a total of $527 Million available. Are you still as confident about Cincinnati's position?
Yes.

Local rail transit expert John Schneider, who was instrumental in twice defeating anti-streetcar measures at the ballot, was asked about Cincinnati's chances for winning this time around. His reply: "Slightly better than excellent."

The primary reason that Cincinnati lost out on the TIGER funds the first time around in 2009 was because the city still hadn't formulated a concrete plan, much less a route, car specifics or much of anything else. So that money went elsewhere, including to build-ready streetcar projects in other cities. This time, with the plan in place, construction ready to commence with or without the TIGER funds and an overwhelmingly pro-streetcar Council set to take office on Dec. 1, Cincinnati is much, MUCH better positioned. The icing on the cake could be that Ohio's Republican governor stripped $50 million-plus worth of funding for the streetcar earlier this year. Returning that money to Cincinnati would be a not-so-subtle middle finger to Kasich and again undermine his wobbly administration less than a year before the presidential election in a key battleground state.

And, frankly, speaking of D.C. politics, it's time for Mayor Mallory's close relationship with the Obama administration (and the president himself) in recent years to start paying off for the city.

Last edited by abr7rmj; 11-17-2011 at 09:50 AM..

Old 11-17-2011, 10:04 AM

Good theory about the administration wanting to throw some dirt in our Reublican governor's eye after he yanked the state's funding. And lord knows Obama pays a lot of attention to the State of Ohio, so he must consider it a bellwether state. But to receive 10% of the Tiger III funds available? I understand Obama wants the grants awarded before the end of the year so we should soon know.

Old 11-17-2011, 02:53 PM

472 posts, read 297,400 times
Quote:
Good theory about the administration wanting to throw some dirt in our Reublican governor's eye after he yanked the state's funding. And lord knows Obama pays a lot of attention to the State of Ohio, so he must consider it a bellwether state. But to receive 10% of the Tiger III funds available? I understand Obama wants the grants awarded before the end of the year so we should soon know.

At the very least I'm hoping there will be enough awarded to extend it down to the Banks, as I think that's a critical link. While the uptown side is important, it can wait a bit.

Old 11-17-2011, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilworms2 View Post
At the very least I'm hoping there will be enough awarded to extend it down to the Banks, as I think that's a critical link. While the uptown side is important, it can wait a bit.
Yes, if you build it and it does not even extend to the Banks that would be a substantial mistake. The uptown loop is necessary to call it an actual transportation system, but if necessary that can come later. My fear is later may become far later.

Old 11-17-2011, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Yes, if you build it and it does not even extend to the Banks that would be a substantial mistake. The uptown loop is necessary to call it an actual transportation system, but if necessary that can come later. My fear is later may become far later.
This is a valid fear.

The longer you wait, the more obstacles and roadblocks (no pun intended) are given a chance to crop up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati