Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2012, 06:22 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,799,024 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123 View Post
Brill, can you see beyond urbanist / suburbanist? Most times you go back to this two camp thing, and I really don't get it. People in the city are just as concerned:

We're all in the same camp, just saying.
When have I said urbanists and suburbanists are completely opposed? I do not believe they are. We just have some differences in how we want to see our lifestyle play out. Urbanists project a dense popularized socieity, everyone living in harmony. I simply do not care for that, prefering a more spread out community. So suddenly we are diamtrically opposed? I don't believe so, we just have disagreements on how to approach certain aspects of our daily life. But guess what, it is our daily life and we are entitled to live it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2012, 06:22 PM

800 posts, read 951,019 times
Well it's pretty clear that Hensley is a member of COAST or at least reads their newsletters. He's shilling and therefore can't be reasoned with.

Funny thing about the anti-tax crowd is that the cities around the country with higher taxes are the ones that are having no problem recruiting talent. I am speaking of course of New York, Los Angeles, and the other big cities, which often have much higher city and county taxes than do Cincinnati and Hamilton County. New York City's earnings tax is nearly double Cincinnati's, yet they can't build apartment towers fast enough.

Old 07-25-2012, 06:45 PM

4,482 posts, read 6,237,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
Urbanists project a dense popularized socieity, everyone living in harmony.
You really don't know me very well. I assume because I prefer to live in the city you glump me into this category? Well, do what makes you feel comfortable.

Old 07-25-2012, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmecklenborg View Post
Funny thing about the anti-tax crowd is that the cities around the country with higher taxes are the ones that are having no problem recruiting talent. I am speaking of course of New York, Los Angeles, and the other big cities, which often have much higher city and county taxes than do Cincinnati and Hamilton County. New York City's earnings tax is nearly double Cincinnati's, yet they can't build apartment towers fast enough.
^^ This.

Old 07-25-2012, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123 View Post
You really don't know me very well. I assume because I prefer to live in the city you glump me into this category? Well, do what makes you feel comfortable.
No you are the one who placed me in the surburbanist catagory just because I live in the suburbs. I will absolutely agree I love living in the suburbs. Does that mean I cannot stand an urban lifestyle? No, it just means it is not my personal preference. If it is your preference, fine live it. Just don't continually find fault with the fact it is not my lifestyle. That is all I ask. From what I read on this forum, it seems to be the urbanists are the ones against everyone else.

The suburbanites are responsible for every wasteful process we have going on, whether it be roads, etc. Give me a break, the suburbs generate more income per household and therefore taxes paid than anything in the City. So does that mean I hate the City? No I just do not care to live there and apparently that is true of many others. But this constant urban anti-suburb squabble is doing nothing to elevate Greater Cincinnati as a whole. This is a great area and the ones actually tearing it down are the City residents who are constantly bickering about the suburbs.

Whether Cinccinnati ever has a commuter rail system is immaterial to me. I never intend to ride it due to my age. I am reasonably sure it will not be built in my expected lifetime. It is basically public subsidized transportation which the liberals are all for. I am in favor of transporation, but only that which pays for itself.

Old 07-25-2012, 08:34 PM

800 posts, read 951,019 times
Well you should be anti-car then, since the entire industry is heavily subsidized. GM was just bailed out and Chrysler for the second time. The Federal Highway Trust Fund failed in 2005 and has been bailed out by the general fund every year since. This could remedied if the federal gasoline tax was raised, but it's easier to sell debt to the Chinese. The US Navy protects oil shipments from around the world. The US military engaged in a huge effort in Iraq in 1991 to protect Saudi and Kuwaiti oil fields. Then we showed up again in 2003 and took over Iraq and its fields entirely. One of my friends was killed there, killed for oil so Kjbrill can drive to Wal-Mart and back.

Die For Oil Sucker - Jello Biafra - YouTube

Old 07-26-2012, 05:42 AM

1,584 posts, read 1,973,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmecklenborg View Post
Well you should be anti-car then, since the entire industry is heavily subsidized. GM was just bailed out and Chrysler for the second time. The Federal Highway Trust Fund failed in 2005 and has been bailed out by the general fund every year since. This could remedied if the federal gasoline tax was raised, but it's easier to sell debt to the Chinese. The US Navy protects oil shipments from around the world. The US military engaged in a huge effort in Iraq in 1991 to protect Saudi and Kuwaiti oil fields. Then we showed up again in 2003 and took over Iraq and its fields entirely. One of my friends was killed there, killed for oil so Kjbrill can drive to Wal-Mart and back.

Die For Oil Sucker - Jello Biafra - YouTube
Petroleum is in every product you use or was used to produce every product you use......not just cars. Your friend died to maintain economic stability in the West. That's a worthy cause.

Old 07-26-2012, 06:21 AM

6,342 posts, read 11,089,409 times
Environmental laws (ridiculous at that) prevent us from tapping into oil on government lands in our country. If we could get at that oil we'd have enough to be completely self sufficient for a couple hundred years and would not have a need to be in other countries to not only get oil but to start wars over it. Thankfully Oil Shale and Natural Gas are making a comeback in western PA and parts of Ohio. Not only will this help the economy by providing more jobs, it could mean lower prices at the gas pump in the future.

Since this is off topic, I'll leave it at that.

Old 07-26-2012, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
Whether Cinccinnati ever has a commuter rail system is immaterial to me. I never intend to ride it due to my age. I am reasonably sure it will not be built in my expected lifetime. It is basically public subsidized transportation which the liberals are all for. I am in favor of transporation, but only that which pays for itself.
But living out in Mason and never coming to Cincinnati for anything you really don't have a dog in the race.

Old 07-26-2012, 07:20 AM

Cincy and Dayton are alike in people but disalike in personality. The population maps do show how the suburban areas have spread along the I-75 corridor to give the appearance of a single city. But there is still quite a way to go before they can be viewed as a single entity. Certainly commercial interests should consider their close proximity as an advantage to investment.

We have a new Marion's Pizza, founded and headquartered in Dayton, being built here in Mason. I have several acquaintances who have reason to frequent the Dayton area and they say their pizza is great. That kind of business expansion makes sense to me.

But to say Cincy and Dayton are one metro area, I don't think so. I live in one of the further northern suburbs of Cincinnati, but still consider it as part of Greater Cincinnati. We are close to Dayton, but I still view Dayton as a separate place, including its suburbs like Springboro which are less than 30 minutes from me, closer than going to downtown Cincy.

So my buddies and I will go and play golf in Springboro (City owned), Pipestone (Miamisburg), Weatherwax (Middletown), Twin Run (Hamilton), Hueston Woods (Oxford), Sharon Woods (Sharonville), Winton Woods (Greenhills), Beckett Ridge, Pleasant Hill (Monroe), Golf Center (Mason), Majestic Springs (Wilmington), so we are not choosy, we like variety. A little nuts maybe to be spending all of the gas at today's prices , but that is the way golfer's think.

I can see the day coming when Cincy and Dayton will be viewed as one metro. But I do not think it has arrived yet.

And I still ask what is the advantage for pushing the idea? More federal money, what? Anyone with half a brain can see what the advantages for private commercial investment is and I am sure the private investors realize this. Other than that, what is the incentive?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati