Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 10:41 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,697,751 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by progmac View Post
But the presence of shared sprawl does not mean a shared identity.
You may think so, but once the majority of the people in between share the same problems in their daily lifes, it is a shared identity. It may take a little longer than anticipated, but shared financial problems equals shared identify, and it is closer than you might realize.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2010, 01:46 PM

682 posts, read 1,622,059 times
Cincinnati/Hamilton County would be smart to start limiting growth on the northern end of the county and maintain a 'green space" on the northern end. Elimination of sprawl will ultimately benefit Urban neighborhoods and if Cincinnati follows the trends of other major cities that are turning around, low income will be pushed increasingly farther out to 'second tier suburbs', and farther counties, as moer affluent people, tired of long commute times migrate back to Urban neighborhoods. We have a whole new generation who grew up in suburbia , who want nothing to do with it and are flocking to OTR and other Urban neighborhoods. What Cincinnati must do however is overhaul its school system now or hope that private schools come to the area.

In a decade or so when Urban neighborhoods are priced out of low income, they will move farther and farther out in search of affordable housing. In some respects that may actually wind up hurting Dayton as its an obvious place for poorer people to move to as Cincinnati becomes more costly.

Old 11-16-2010, 02:29 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,697,751 times
Boy, an elitist attitude if I ever heard one. The inner cities are going to be resurrected by the wealthy people moving back in and displacing the poor to the suburbs? Sounds like a lot of pie-in-the-sky wishful thinking to me. If we have a new generation concerned with not being able to maintain their position in suburbia, it is because they fear our government is increasingly stacking so much against them they cannot succeed. But from what I saw this past election, the young people were out there giving their all to get people to pass the school levies to maintain their current standards. If this in an indication they are turned off by their surroundings, I must have missed something. If the young people do return to the city it will be because they are fearful and trying to think of how to economize any way possible. The future is shaping up for significant changes, but a lot of it is due to apprehension and fear rather than innate beliefs.

Old 11-16-2010, 02:33 PM

2,107 posts, read 5,054,501 times
While I agree with the analysis in restorations' first paragraph, I do find some fault with the second. Namely, while the number of buyers (and thus demand) has increased for homes in older, urban areas with higher densities, this option is not on every buyers's mind.

Basically, there is a new demand for urban areas such as Clifton, Mt. Lookout, and Oakley, but the fact remains that there will still be buyers who want to live out in the suburbs. This is demonstrated by the number of jobs (higher-paid white collar ones) that relocated from downtown cores to the suburbs over the last 30 or so years. While some of those jobs may return downtown, there has not been (at least in cities like Columbus and Dayton) the same move from companies to re-relocate their operations. The point is, not everyone works downtown, so not everyone will be living in urban areas like OTR or Clifton.

What I think will happen is that suburbs with money (especially those outside Hamilton county, but not exclusively) will continue to prosper, grow or maintain the status quo, and keep their highly rated schools. Places with smart zoning standards will try (some successfully, others not so much) to keep people in check when it comes to property mantainence and appearance. Suburbs that are just average, places like West Carrolton and maybe Huber Heights in Dayton, or Groesbeck and Northgate in Cincy, or Groveport and Reynoldsburg in Cbus, will slip because of cheap(er) housing. Take Dale City in NOVA for example. It was a vast community of cheaply built homes for new families and less than 25 years later, it is home to many low-income latino immigrants because the housing is half of what it is in other parts of northern Virginia. What will really hurt is if those areas are unincorporated (like Dale City) and thus can't place ordinances on appearance (or even have a sense of community) or if they can't annex more land to develop a new, wealthier tax base.

One thing that makes me question the validity of masses of low-income residents rushing into the suburbs is the availability of transportation. I think that as people move along transportation lines, those wealthy suburbs off those lines will fight to keep them out for the perceived notion that low-income residents will flock in to take up "cheaper" hosuing. Along those lines, one could argue that in some cases, residents in towns without public transit would believe that introducing buses will actually lower their property's value. In actuality, people won't move north into all of Warren or Butler counties, and possibly further into Montgomery because they have no access to jobs via a method of transport.

One last note I'll make, is that the working poor (those with low paying jobs without healthcare) who can afford to own a car (usually just one or two per family) will be more likely to move out towards the suburbs because that is where the service industry jobs, which have essentially replaced manufacturing jobs, will be located. The final verdict: There will be swaths or pockets of wealth surrounded by areas of poorer, lower-income individuals and families. In other words, perhaps we will see more suburbs like Wyoming.

Old 11-16-2010, 02:37 PM

Oh, and as for Cincinnati and Dayton being one MSA? Perhaps. They really should at least combine the CSA. Many people from Dayton go down into Warren (and even Hamilton [Kenwood]) Coutny to shop.

Old 11-16-2010, 02:55 PM

3,336 posts, read 6,911,357 times
they are combining the CSA for 2010

Old 11-16-2010, 03:21 PM

120 posts, read 257,843 times
Luckily, Colerain Towship (home of the above mentioned Groesbeck and Northgate) does have property maintenance code and home rule.

Old 11-16-2010, 04:40 PM

^And that is a good thing. That's the problem with forecasting and why I hate it (or at least take it with a grain of salt). Or, like me (and many others), you don't know every single cities or entities rules and regs. No one really knows what a place will look like in 5, 10, 20 years. For all I know, it could be Mason or Indian Hill that will see decline.

Old 11-16-2010, 11:06 PM

2,785 posts, read 6,601,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by progmac View Post
Funny, and very true. Dayton has taken an enormous economic hit compared to Cincinnati, yet Cincinnatians are the ones doing all the complaining.
Very true, I see it everyday in both cities. The differance in how the city should move forward. Dayton is really pulling through this though. Things are and will continue to get better. This metro area has a strong base of other economic advantages.

On topic, the area already really is one. The sprawl affect has lead both cities to basically merge. It is nothing but housing developments and shopping malls all the way up I-75.

Old 11-16-2010, 11:07 PM

2,785 posts, read 6,601,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrightflyer View Post
Oh, and as for Cincinnati and Dayton being one MSA? Perhaps. They really should at least combine the CSA. Many people from Dayton go down into Warren (and even Hamilton [Kenwood]) Coutny to shop.
They do? Maybe because I live in Beavercreek, but many talk about how much better The Greene is over Kenwood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati