U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 09:37 AM

4,041 posts, read 5,663,778 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
For one thing disavowing the burbs will mean nothing as they are the fastest growing areas in the region.
I don't think anyone is doing that. People have their preferred lifestyle but I have never ran across anything in Cincinnati where the city is attacking it's suburbs. It seems the opposite. Downtown's redevelopment - Banks, Fountain Square, Stadiums, etc. all seem (in part) aimed at suburbanites. Besides the likes of COAST, I am not familiar with organized attacks on Cincinnati from neighboring municipalities. Perhaps this is one of the area where I need to be enlightened somewhat?

Quote:
But I do not see the marketing for growth argument.
I dunno, we always need growth. Particularly jobs growth, but of course with that usually comes population growth where there is significant jobs growth.

Quote:
Dayton has lost some significant employers, true, but hopefully is hanging in there.
The city of Dayton is in dire straights. My only hope is that it reaches rock bottom soon and that the bottom doesn't actually fall out of it's decline. People and businesses have been leaving Dayton en masse for years. The Dayton Metropolitan area is actually healthy and is making strides. And it's strides are south on 75.

Quote:
Unless you are a national chain outfit desiring to put an oulet in every burg up and down I-75 between Cincy and Dayton, what do you think has a common attraction between Cincy and Dayton? Anybody in their right mind could see there were distribution economies between the two cities for years.
Cincinnati and Dayton share closeness to a major section of US population. 70/75 interstates is the crossroads of America. Cincinnati proper has corporate clout. Dayton proper has lot's of an endless water supply in an underground aquifer that runs underneath. There are so many amenities in this region. A unified front in marketing this region's strengths could go a long way in some serious growth.

Interstate 70 / I-75 interchange finally finished | www.daytondailynews.com

Quote:
We enjoy a lot of common qualities and quality of life, but I feel there are still significant differences to not declare us one and the same.
The city of Cincinnati and the city of Dayton are worlds apart. I've lived in Dayton's east side and live in Cincy. I am surprised the cities are in the same state. However, both cities are relatively small in relation to their metropolitan areas. The metro areas have a lot in common and lot's of land to develop. There is so much more to attract business other than retail. Really, that is not secret because Dayton and Cincy were once manufacturing powerhouses. Those same amenities remain.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2012, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
I believe a city and/or metro area as it grows is able to receive more Federal money for population growth vs. one that is on the decline of growing slowly. I figure by merging the Dayton and Cincinnati metro areas into a single entity the region would likely receive more money from the Federal government than at present. I suspect the percentage of the money they hand out must go up as the population of a city or region increases otherwise cities would not be as inclined to merge into a larger area and potentially lose their own identity.
^^ This too.

Old 07-25-2012, 09:43 AM

39,885 posts, read 70,567,239 times
I drove through about a week ago, and all I have to say (besides "Thank heavens!") is: It's about freakin' time! I'd like to see a sign up there somewhere that says: This intersection brought to you by ODOT: Nine years in the making. Enjoy.

(Or maybe it's been 10 years; construction started before I moved to Philly 8 years ago)

Old 07-25-2012, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I drove through about a week ago, and all I have to say (besides "Thank heavens!") is: It's about freakin' time! I'd like to see a sign up there somewhere that says: This intersection brought to you by ODOT: Nine years in the making. Enjoy.

(Or maybe it's been 10 years; construction started before I moved to Philly 8 years ago)
I remember when it started. I was living in New Bremen and made frequent trips to Dayton. If you think that's bad you should see the construction in downtown Dayton. It's worse than anything I've seen in the area. It is sorely needed though.

Old 07-25-2012, 10:01 AM

39,885 posts, read 70,567,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123 View Post
If you think that's bad you should see the construction in downtown Dayton. It's worse than anything I've seen in the area. It is sorely needed though.
I'll bet, and yes, it is! Malfunction Junction has been in pain in the behind for 35 years (and probably longer). My dad did some of his best cussing trying to navigate that mess when he drove me to and from UD.

I purposely avoided downtown last week for that very reason. I was in Centerville and wanted to go visit campus, but even more I wanted to get to my sister's house in Ann Arbor within a reasonable amount of time!

Old 07-25-2012, 10:15 AM

^^ Malfunction Junction has been mostly fixed, but then they went further south on 75 and totally jacked up the 75/35 interchange. It will be better in the long run though, I hope. I have started using 675 to get to 35 when I go to my property for whatever reason.

Old 07-25-2012, 11:37 AM

2,194 posts, read 3,641,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
Earlier this summer I took a trip that took me down through I-75. While, I really just drove through Cincinnati, I would like to actually explore it.

But the other reason is that what I say between Cincinnati and Dayton, was a suburban corridor, where it was difficult to tell where one town began and the next one ended. Sure there were woods and fields, but also plenty of subdivisions and strip malls.
Hi Tex?Il?--

I've lived in both cities and although they're culturally worlds apart, fact of the matter remains that the growth is all concentrated in the suburbs - the sprawl in between that many self-described urban planners decry. It has a lot to do with corrupt and unmanageable city government in addition to taxes which drove business and people away.

Under Ohio law, if you either work or live within a city limit, you're obligated to pay that city's income tax. On the other hand, if you live and work in a township (or a city that doesn't charge income tax), you pay none.

All of the development you see on I-75 north of 275 is just that - IKEA, the business campuses in West Chester, further up along Tylersville Road - is all in West Chester township (or another township). It's done primarily to avoid city taxes and also to avoid the traffic tie-ups on I-75 inside of 275 (which desperately needs to be upgraded).

Likewise with Dayton - Austin Landing is all in Miami Township, outside of city limits. Thompson Hine moved from downtown Dayton to Austin Landing, ostensibly to be closer to their Cincinnati office - but fact of the matter is, those highly paid attorney's didn't want to pay Dayton's 2.5% income tax. You'll never see it in the news, but take a walk around downtown Dayton and look at the number of vacant office buildings. But then hop on 675 and go to the Dayton Mall, the Greene, or Pentagon Park in Beavercreek - those areas are doing fine. In fact, more office space is being built all the time. Because Beavercreek, while an incorporated city, doesn't levy a city income tax.

Now that I-75 in Butler/Warren Counties is finally finished, it's actually easier for someone in West Chester to get to Miamisburg than it is to get to downtown Cincinnati. And for someone that lives in Miamisburg... there's more business opportunity in West Chester than there is in downtown Dayton.

The cities may be culturally miles apart, but the suburbs aren't. And as a law student who is graduating in a year, you can be sure I'd be setting up in between both cities and getting work from both places. Because there's far too much pent-up demand. Unemployment is finally below 7% in Ohio, hiring is starting to pick up, the state budget is balanced, and there's too much money floating around in corporate cash accounts. It's going to break soon, and I want to be at the forefront of that new economic wave. And like it or not, it's going to be in the suburbs.

Old 07-25-2012, 11:41 AM

2,194 posts, read 3,641,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123 View Post
^^ Malfunction Junction has been mostly fixed, but then they went further south on 75 and totally jacked up the 75/35 interchange. It will be better in the long run though, I hope. I have started using 675 to get to 35 when I go to my property for whatever reason.
Hi TomJones123--

I am a regular in a golf league in Cincinnati every Tuesday and I was talking to a few guys about that. They're all in their 50's, and the stretch of I-75 through Dayton has been under construction for as long as any of them can remember. I just looked at ODOT's plan for the section, and after they've finished screwing with the 75/35 interchange they're going to reconfigure the exit ramps downtown. That won't be finished until 2017, according to their projections. Figure 2020 is more realistic. By then, the highways will need to be resurfaced, causing even more construction.

And I guess you haven't gone on 35 lately - it's jacked up, too, inside of 675. From appearances, they're rebuilding the bridges and overpasses on 35. I don't know why they take the chance to expand 35 to 3 lanes in each direction out to 675? It doesn't appear they're doing that, though. Riverside Police are having a field day with that 45 MPH speed limit, though.

Old 07-25-2012, 12:06 PM

2,492 posts, read 4,260,737 times
I travel frequently between the two cities. I live in Cincinnati, go to Centerville at least 2-3 times a week, have season tickets to UD Flyers basketball games, meet up with friends sometimes in/around Union Centre, have a cousin who lives in Centerville and works in Blue Ash.

The two cities are already one metro for me and most people I know, no doubt. I never consider them separate anymore. Now, get us a passenger rail link between the two and watch the region really take off.

Old 07-25-2012, 12:09 PM

Thanks for the posts hensleya1!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati