U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 01:11 PM

9,259 posts, read 13,416,907 times

Advertisements

Since these threads so often sidetracked on other subjects, I thought I would start another about your favorite hamburger joint, hoping we can keep the concentration on hamburgers.

A couple of weeks ago, during a Saturday morning trek down to Tri-County, I decided to give our newest Five Guys a try, having heard a lot about it from my friends. Edible but nothing to rave about. For the price, I would have been just as content with a Sonic or a Rally's. Correct that, for the price I would have been more content.

Just yesterday, I had lunch at the NEW Quatman's Cafe in Mason. Had their cheeseburger run through the garden. Again, better than others but not enough to rave about. Something in the preparation is just lacking, but I am not sure what. I suspect it is concern about the liability for undercooking meat.

Years ago, my favorite burger was at my Aunt/Uncle's house in Washington Courthouse. Now they didn't cook it. Nope, they had a Frisch's franchise and would call over to the restaurant for their own personal order to feed us. They would instruct the kitchen staff to fry up some brawny lad patties to medium rare (more rare), put two of them on the larger rye bun, and then have the sliced tomatoes, onions, lettuce, pickles, cheese, tartar sauce, etc. on the side so people could assemble their own. It helped their house was less than 5 minutes from the restaurant so everything came piping hot. Of course this was not on their menu. I remember my Aunt saying if we were not required to cremate everything we serve, I could put these in the store, charge a premium price, and sell the H--l out of them!

Let's get some dialogue going about where the best burgers in town are to be had, and why. If your preference is well done, don't bother to reply, you can buy shoe leather at a lot of places.

To kick this off, I will give the new Quatman's in Mason a 6 on a scale of 1 to 10. If 10 indicates you will travel a long distance to inbibe in the product being offered, my classification of 6 says I will go across town to partake, but not much further.

Last edited by kjbrill; 11-19-2010 at 01:50 PM.. Reason: clarification
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2010, 01:31 PM

10,139 posts, read 22,514,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
If your preference is well done, don't bother to reply, you can buy shoe leather at a lot of places.
Now, I hope you don't really mean that, KJ. To me, well done is anything that is not pink in the middle. If its shoe leather, it would be very well done. But if you rule out well done, I just don't know what you would have left. You know that some of the best burgers are made from some of the cheapest meat. And, I don't know about you, but I like my cheap meats to be 163 F. in the middle. And there is no pink at 163 F.

Old 11-19-2010, 01:41 PM

1,086 posts, read 2,230,269 times
Quatman's in Mason is excellent. Good food and a great value.

Old 11-19-2010, 02:02 PM

2,886 posts, read 3,968,957 times
I like a medium-rare burger, but really, almost no place will cook them that way. The closest I've been able to come is a "chopped steak" at Longhorn, which I still order with grilled mushrooms and onions, as opposed to the sauce they switched to a couple years ago. And at medium rare, I generally feel most comfortable eating a burger I ground myself at home.

On a recent jaunt out to a spot in Blue Ash whose name escapes me right now, I did discover that you can take a mediocre burger and improve it wonderfully by topping it with a fried egg. Otherwise, my newest favorite burger is at Gaslight in Pleasant Ridge. I like Bard's in Latonia, and Quatman's in Norwood. Steak and Shake isn't bad for the cheap, cheap price. I think Gordo's, Zip's and Five Guys are a waste of time and money. Would like to try Terry's sometime, but am totally put off by the tales of crowding, noise, long waits and mediocre service.

Old 11-19-2010, 02:02 PM

279 posts, read 577,852 times
Yeah you lost me with that also...I certainly don't want shoe leather, but I also don't want some cheap ass bloody ground beef leaking and making my bun soggy. I just like it cooked so that it isn't tough, and isn't a bloody mess. Most places seem to find that middle ground just fine.

Eh...burger joints don't really beckon me. I stand by my statement that I can make myself a better burger than pretty much anywhere. Whereas certain dishes, food types, etc I just can't do. The BBQ I had at Pit To Plate last night is a good example...I don't have a big ass smoker, so going there is a real treat. I'm confident that I can make a better burger than most joints.

But thats no fun, so I'll throw in my vote. I have only been to Terry's Turf Club once, but damn it was good. Bun was buttered/crispy, that was a real nice touch. Dang, I can't even remember fully what I got on my burger, but it was awesome. Sauteed peppers and onions and some kinda cheese I think.

To counter, a recent bad burger experience I had was Arthur's. People rave about it, esp the "burger madness". It is cheap, I'll give them that, but you get what you pay for. The "unlimited toppings is wack as ****. I wasn't expecting my burger to be swimming in chili, but I'll be damned if the chili didn't come out in a 2 oz souffle cup...the burger was just lame. I'll never go back for that.

Old 11-19-2010, 02:06 PM

2,886 posts, read 3,968,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubby513 View Post
...To counter, a recent bad burger experience I had was Arthur's. People rave about it, esp the "burger madness". It is cheap, I'll give them that, but you get what you pay for. The "unlimited toppings is wack as ****. I wasn't expecting my burger to be swimming in chili, but I'll be damned if the chili didn't come out in a 2 oz souffle cup...the burger was just lame. I'll never go back for that.
Yeah, I don't get the hype about Arthur's, either. Sure, they serve a burger with a blob of Boursin, which is really tasty. But I have a case of it at home in the freezer, got a lifetime supply one time when Jungle Jim's had it for like $1 a package. Making a "Boursin burger" is not, um, rocket science.

Old 11-19-2010, 02:39 PM

Let's set the limits on this:

Last edited by Wilson513; 06-18-2012 at 11:03 AM..

Old 11-19-2010, 03:23 PM

9,259 posts, read 13,416,907 times
Wilson... Your nice little chart doesn't even have a temperature scale on it - WTF! If you want to set limits, at least give us the temperature range you are advocating.

And your post about the temperature required to cook cheap meats. By cheap, I assume you mean full of fat. I can agree if the meat has enough fat you can cook it to no more pink and there is still a lot of taste left. But the balance is hard to achieve.

This past weekend, I cooked a couple of filets on my grill. For some damn reason the thermometer stayed at about 250, when I am used to at least 450 with my settings on medium. I don't know whether it just needs a good cleaning or what.

But cooking past pink is just against my religion.

Old 11-19-2010, 04:04 PM

Oh, the issue here is whether a well done burger in your world is the first stop after pink. If you are talking pink burgers, I have nothing to add. I don't eat a pink burger unless it comes from my kitchen. You set the parameters of your thread. If this is a thread about pink (or God forbid, red) burgers, good luck with that.

If you are talking restaurants serving non-pink burgers then I'm an expert. Just sayin.

Old 11-19-2010, 04:49 PM

3,335 posts, read 5,750,269 times
my quatman loving friends and i all eat at the norwood location. one of them want up to mason and says it isn't the same. he posits that the grill at the mason location will need four or five years to season before the signature quatman taste is there.

quatman is still my number one. my wife's favorite is oakley pub and grill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati