Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2010, 10:44 PM

2 posts, read 4,099 times

Advertisements

I know that there have been many threads regarding the westside vs eastside in this forum. However, I have ruled out the eastside (too little house and minimal yard for your money). I am currently looking on the westside of town west of Colerain Ave. I work in West Chester but want to be close to downtown and the westside offers many alternate routes to work if 75 is a mess like usual. I would like honest opinions from people who know the areas on the westside and not just speculating. Is White Oak East ok? I have read some not so great things about Mt Airy and White Oak East is neighboring Mt Airy. Please do not respond if you are only interested in sharing your hatred for the westside of town. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2010, 02:45 AM

392 posts, read 1,067,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincybuyer View Post
I know that there have been many threads regarding the westside vs eastside in this forum. However, I have ruled out the eastside (too little house and minimal yard for your money). I am currently looking on the westside of town west of Colerain Ave. I work in West Chester but want to be close to downtown and the westside offers many alternate routes to work if 75 is a mess like usual. I would like honest opinions from people who know the areas on the westside and not just speculating. Is White Oak East ok? I have read some not so great things about Mt Airy and White Oak East is neighboring Mt Airy. Please do not respond if you are only interested in sharing your hatred for the westside of town. Thanks
In my opinion, White Oak East (which is part of either Green or Colerain Township, I don't remember) is basically a continuation of Mt. Airy (City of Cincinnati), which itself isn't as bad as many of the people that post here make it out to be. There are lots of beautiful homes (well-kept, OCCUPIED ones at that) in that part of town. I lived in that area for about nine months, and the only problem I ever had was an old drunk guy who tried to break into my apartment and was subsequently placed under citizens' arrest and hauled off by Colerain's finest.

The only parts of Mt. Airy I would honestly avoid are the two Terraces (Hawaiian and Bahama) and the area surrounding the Little Flower Apartments (right by the Speedway at Colerain and Kirby). Other than that, have at it. Take a Sunday drive around the area and judge for yourself.

Westside vs. Eastside vs. Kentucky...boy, Cincinnati is something else.

Old 11-24-2010, 05:50 AM

120 posts, read 259,028 times
Can you be more specific? Street names? Budget?

I live in that area so I'll try to help you out.

Old 11-24-2010, 07:07 AM

74 posts, read 188,970 times
Hi, We have been looking mostly in and around New Richmond, but also from Goshen and Stonelick down to Georgetown. When we get there in Feb. (we will be renting temporarily) we plan to tour the Westside also, up towards Oxford. From the listings I have seen, I am seeing smaller, older homes but on larger properties. Best of luck in your new home!

Old 11-24-2010, 11:34 AM

3,336 posts, read 6,939,563 times
Everyone i know in westwood loves it. You get a lot for your money. Stay west and north of werk, probably. Your mileage may vary, but check it out.

Old 11-24-2010, 12:19 PM

577 posts, read 1,280,053 times
I had a friend that lived in Groesbeck and liked it. The houses are reasonable and you get a decent sized yard as well. It has been around 10 years since he lived there so I don't know how it is today but it may be worth checking out.

Old 11-24-2010, 12:59 PM

392 posts, read 1,067,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelent View Post
we plan to tour the Westside also, up towards Oxford.
Oxford is not the Westside. It's in Butler County, 40 miles from Cincinnati.

Old 11-24-2010, 02:40 PM

2,886 posts, read 4,975,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deg1114 View Post
I had a friend that lived in Groesbeck and liked it. The houses are reasonable and you get a decent sized yard as well. It has been around 10 years since he lived there so I don't know how it is today but it may be worth checking out.
Groesbeck and White Oak are not getting any better. Mt. Airy at least is pretty much stable.

Old 11-24-2010, 06:37 PM

4,888 posts, read 13,824,184 times
I worked with somebody who made an almost identical query a couple of years ago. He ended up buying a place in White Oak just west of Colerain Ave, adjacent to a large park. Everything's gone great for his family there. The park isn't one of those places where "undesirables" and teens gather after dark, and many retirees live on their block who are happy to baby-sit. They had to forsake "charm" for a generic '60s-vintage split-level house, but they bought at a "happy" price and have plenty of room for when the kids get older (and even if more kids arrive.)
That's one cautionary note I have to sound about White Oak and Monfort Heights, as well as the Colerain Township communities of Northbrook and Groesbeck. They're home to a large number of people who settled there in the 1950's to '70s and are now getting older. I brought that up to the C-D'er I helped also, for what will become of those kinds of neighborhoods as a goodly quantity of houses go on the market? Colerain Twp appears to be not weathering the transition all that well, but as is the case with Mt Airy a lot of that has to do with the apartment complexes which were built to accommodate single Baby Boomers and have now fallen out of style and converted to Section 8. Some of the brick Capes in Groesbeck and Northbrook which people fought to own 50-60 years ago are also now held by absentee landlords who accept subsidy vouchers. Painting with a broad brush leaves out spots, but all too often folks "on assistance" aren't the most ideal neighbors. This issue is insignificant to the south in Monfort Hts and White Oak - so far. And I think the lack of Hawaiian Terraces and Walden Glens will help those areas pull through with little effect on their quality of life.
Buy a little farther out to the north or west, and you'd be that much closer to I-275 and its interchange with I-74. Closer in to town but north of the city limits, you'd have the Cross County Highway available for quick connections as well.
If children are part of the household, the Northwest school district (which includes Colerain and Northwest High Schools) are well-regarded though not top-tier.

Old 11-25-2010, 09:16 AM

2 posts, read 4,099 times
Thanks to everyone for all of the feedback. I am going to drive around Mt Airy today before Thanksgiving dinner. I will let you know what I find. Have a great day!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati