Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 02:05 PM

350 posts, read 879,906 times

Advertisements

I'm enjoying this thread as it brings back a few memories. My grandparents built a house on Brehm Road (Dunlap? Bevis?) in the late 1950's... and then they practically raised me...We'd be driving down Colerain avenue (this was the late 70's) and they'd show me where it used to be all farmland I remember going to Gold Circle and Children's Palace, lol.

I can't remember the details but something like livestock were herded from the surrounding farms down Colerain Ave down to Camp Washington to be slaughtered.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2010, 02:45 PM

267 posts, read 722,042 times
i remember gold circle the mall forgot the name i loved going into the arcade.. the farmers fields behind me left a long time ago i think late 80's the other one where biglots fazios sat.. teen age punks caught it on fire turned it into fazios

Old 12-13-2010, 07:53 PM

4,888 posts, read 13,824,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandasene View Post
For those who are interested in Colerain Towship history, this is a good book. All pictures. Being a life long resident, it was a nice look back.

Amazon.com: Colerain Township (Images of America) (9780738584331): Frank Scholle, Don Linz: Books
The blurb says the first (White) settler in what later became Colerain Township was...John Dunlap! My new trivia factoid for today.

Old 12-15-2010, 02:50 PM

350 posts, read 879,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northwoodsman View Post
i remember gold circle the mall forgot the name i loved going into the arcade.. the farmers fields behind me left a long time ago i think late 80's the other one where biglots fazios sat.. teen age punks caught it on fire turned it into fazios
OK what ever happened to Fazios? That's where we used to shop. Was that where Borders is now??

Old 12-15-2010, 07:12 PM

267 posts, read 722,042 times
no it's where big lots is now

Old 08-16-2022, 02:19 PM

1 posts, read 981 times
Default Toga bar

I used to play music 6 nights week at the Toga Bar on Old Colerain (Between Dunlap and I-275 - which was not complete). We played downstairs in the 'Orange Grove Room'. On the weekends they had a band upstairs called the Charlie Sidebottom Band. When I would drive there from my teaching job in Deer Park I would take I-275 which ended at the Fairfield exit, then drive up through Dunlap. Going home to Price Hill I passed the Bevis Tavern which was a huge building off of Colerain. There were just farm fields where Northgate Mall went up later. The owner of the Toga was a guy named Dick and his girlfriend 'Ginger Lee' was a singer and would come up and do a show with us on the weekends. Much later I heard that the place burned to the ground. I remember years later doing a gig in Blue Ash and Dick and Ginger came in and remembered me. I was 19 when I played the Toga Bar and it was sort of a hidden gem out in the country that had a lot of class for bars in those days. Does anybody else remember that place?

Old 08-17-2022, 09:11 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,610,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post

Colerain and Beechmont, the few places where West meets East, neither one of which has much to crow about.
I do not understand this. I grew up on Beechmont Ave in Anderson. I never heard anyone say Beechmont/Colerain Ave was the east/west meeting point.

Old 08-17-2022, 09:43 AM

1,212 posts, read 501,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
I do not understand this. I grew up on Beechmont Ave in Anderson. I never heard anyone say Beechmont/Colerain Ave was the east/west meeting point.
The comparison is good relative to how Beechmont begins in the city then traverses into Anderson TWP, the same with Colerain Ave. into Colerain Twp. In the city it's mostly residential then forms into mass commercial retail of every type. The intersection of Beechmont and Corbly would mirror the intersection of Colerain and W. North Bend or Kirby. Both have a small retail district (Mt. Washington does have a Kroger). Both avenues also connect to 275. Beechmont has a massive Catholic Seminary and Colerain has a Monastery Friary. I grew up on Colerain Ave, and I lived in Anderson Twp for 15 years. Anderson is more upscale, you will find some much more expensive homes there.

Mt. Airy = Mt. Washington
Colerain Twp = Anderson Twp

Old 08-17-2022, 12:34 PM

1,212 posts, read 501,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Lagos View Post
The comparison is good relative to how Beechmont begins in the city then traverses into Anderson TWP, the same with Colerain Ave. into Colerain Twp. In the city it's mostly residential then forms into mass commercial retail of every type. The intersection of Beechmont and Corbly would mirror the intersection of Colerain and W. North Bend or Kirby. Both have a small retail district (Mt. Washington does have a Kroger). Both avenues also connect to 275. Beechmont has a massive Catholic Seminary and Colerain has a Monastery Friary. I grew up on Colerain Ave, and I lived in Anderson Twp for 15 years. Anderson is more upscale, you will find some much more expensive homes there.

Mt. Airy = Mt. Washington
Colerain Twp = Anderson Twp

Edit, it's not a meeting point but more of a parallel universe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati