Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2007, 05:59 AM

122 posts, read 958,976 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wherenext? View Post
We also drove around West Chester, but it seemed a little too cookie cutter.
Then you didn't drive around enough! West Chester does have some "cookie cutter" homes in the newer subdivisions, but there are many subdivisions that required that no two homes are alike. Even when we stained or choose brick, we have to have it approved and it had to be different from ever one around us! Look for a neighborhood with mature trees. Schools would be more important to me when choosing a location, than almost anything. Great schools = great property values. Bad schools = declining property values.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2007, 06:02 AM

122 posts, read 958,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by familygirl View Post
Hi,
Hidden Valley Lake is in Indiana
SCHOOLS!!! What about the schools??? Stay away from HVL!

Old 08-29-2007, 09:00 AM

41,957 posts, read 75,183,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda Pratt View Post
Bad schools = declining property values.
Oh ... so that must be why Hyde Park properties are so expensive!

Old 08-29-2007, 11:01 AM

2,180 posts, read 5,421,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda Pratt View Post
Then you didn't drive around enough! West Chester does have some "cookie cutter" homes in the newer subdivisions, but there are many subdivisions that required that no two homes are alike.
THANK YOU!! I'm glad I'm not the only one that thinks there is more to West Chester than so-called "cookie cutter" homes. I mean, come on, people - I LIVE here in West Chester, and I KNOW that people are misinformed about what it's like here. Stop paying attention to everything you read in the papers, and stop listening to everyone who is "anti-suburb". There are great things about living out here, if only people would check them out for themselves.

Old 08-29-2007, 11:15 AM

2 posts, read 7,437 times
Default sunman dearborn schools

To the original post,
Don't trust all of our opinions more than good honest research. Every area will have its advantages and disadvantages. Hidden Valley is a very peaceful area and Sunman Dearbborn schools are good schools.Where we live is not Lawrenceburg schools. Believe me with a family of educators, I have been careful where I choose to live. There are also private schools as I mentioned before. HiddenValley is not a place where you can turn the corner and have a shopping mall, if thats what you are looking for. It is a community that provides parks and fun for only those who live here. There are HOA fees though. The Tristate region is convenient. Mariemont is great! Madeira is good for schools but smaller homes are to be expected in both those areas in that price range.Anderson is wonderful but taxes are a bit higher.We chose this area to avoid certain traffic prone areas of the highway. Certain parts of 75 and 275 are horrible during rush hour. We actually moved from a region a bit shorter distance away than now, but it took 45 minutes to get to work instead of 25 now because of traffic flow. The drive is less stressful. Be sure to do a crime rate check and of course an offender check before purchasing. Check income tax rates because every neighborhood is different and the Dept.of Ed. provides school report cards. Good Luck.

Old 08-29-2007, 11:31 PM

36 posts, read 276,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wherenext? View Post
... ... I am looking for some more insider information on Hyde Park. ... ...

Hyde Park=nice!

In the city, with a SAFE, desirable neighborhood. Better than anything but Indian Hill (IM,NSH,O). Shopping all around, good schools both public & private, one big shopping center *(Hyde Park Plaza) with lots of neighborhood shopping. Great, fantastic parks (Alms & Ault) and your own private airport, Cincinnati's first, Lunken Municipal. Hyde Park, Mt. Lookout, Oakley, & some parts of Obrienville would be my ONLY choice.

I may well move from Clifton to Hyde Park soon.

*I forgot the 'new' center Rookwood Pavilion and Rookwood Commons (after the pottery factory that was there).

Old 08-30-2007, 10:48 AM

41,957 posts, read 75,183,468 times
CincyJim, just so you know ... Rookwood Pavilion, etc. was built on the site of the LeBlond manufacturing company, not Rookwood Pottery, which was in Mt. Adams. Next time you're there, check out the writing on that big ol' smokestack.

Oh, and it's in Norwood.

Old 09-12-2007, 02:27 PM

156 posts, read 631,290 times
It's tough to compare hyde park / mt. lookout and mt. adams to glendale, which isn't really in cincy. The areas are totally different. If you want the cincy experience, move near in the river valley on the east side (HP/ MTL/ Maybe Oakley/ Obrienville)... you will find something in your range in these areas. Also, don't be afraid to check out the other side of the river, which offers better value real estate wise and closer access to the best parts of what the city has to offer (Newport, Wilder, Ft Thomas, Villa Hills, Bellvue, etc.)

Old 09-12-2007, 04:13 PM

2 posts, read 7,657 times
Hello, I just read your post and my husband and I just moved (November 2006) from Cincinnati to Denver. We were very lucky and sold our home in Wyoming, OH (a suburb of Cincinnati) within 90 days. However, my father is trying to sell his home and is having a very DIFFICULT time, it has been on the market since April 2007. Cincinnati is a market where you need to be very careful. We (both my husband and myself) grew up in Cincinnati and lived there for 42 years. My advice, this is a city where it's all about school districts. People who live in Hyde Park all educate privately. It's very competitive and the BEST all boys private school is definitely St. Xavier High school. I would suggest the following areas if you plan on having children, and if you would ever need to sell fast these areas do well: (they are not listed in any particular order)

1. Wyoming
2. Indian Hill
3. Sycamore
4. Anderson Township

Hyde Park would actually be my fifth choice, but only if I was childless or planned on spending a lot of money to send my children to either parochial or private schools in Cincinnati. Best of luck!

Old 09-12-2007, 04:14 PM

2 posts, read 7,657 times
Default North College Hill

What in the world is wrong with North College Hill - you can't give a property away here - any suggestions on how I can see property here?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati