Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 05:04 PM

901 posts, read 2,376,786 times

Advertisements

Hard to say, wolden. Chicken on a stick can be a valid way of cooking real chicken on a skewer. But "city chicken" rarely contains real chicken. It's pork, or maybe veal. Then again maybe your grandmother just referred to "city chicken" as "chicken on a stick"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2011, 05:12 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,343,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by insightofitall View Post
Hard to say, wolden. Chicken on a stick can be a valid way of cooking real chicken on a skewer. But "city chicken" rarely contains real chicken. It's pork, or maybe veal. Then again maybe your grandmother just referred to "city chicken" as "chicken on a stick"?
Avril's is pieces of pork and veal alternated on a skewer and its hard not to make a good meal from them. Stright on the grill they are dleicious. Sauteed in a skillet with teriyaki sauce wow!

Old 01-03-2011, 05:18 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,693,012 times
I believe my mother used to fry her city chicken in just plain ole Crisco (before the liquid variety)melted in a skillet. It was just plain great. Now come on people, if it was actually chicken why would it have been given the tag city chicken?

Old 01-03-2011, 06:28 PM

1,130 posts, read 2,527,597 times
I always heard that City Chicken was the brainchild of some enterprising butcher who wanted to come up with a novelty to pump up sales. He wasn't nearly so successful as the guy who invented the hot dog, but I sure would miss it if I ever had to leave Cincinnati.

The Hyde Park Kroger (located in Oakley) carries city chicken, and the fact that they do and Biggs does not is a big reason that I shop at Kroger.

I learned my city chicken recipe from my depression era grandmother. First I dust it in flour, then run it through an egg bath, then roll it in my own seasoned bread crumb mix. The key to a good depression-era city chicken recipe is to make your breadcrumbs from saltine crackers, worked over with a rolling pin. It's best chicken-fried in bacon grease, but Crisco will do. OMG, my mouth is watering just thinking about it!

Old 01-03-2011, 07:45 PM

901 posts, read 2,376,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
Avril's is pieces of pork and veal alternated on a skewer and its hard not to make a good meal from them. Stright on the grill they are dleicious. Sauteed in a skillet with teriyaki sauce wow!
Avril's is a restaurant where...? (Is it a restaurant?) I mean is it downtown Cincinnati or in a suburb? If I move to Cincinnati, I will have to keep it in mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by t45209 View Post

I learned my city chicken recipe from my depression era grandmother. First I dust it in flour, then run it through an egg bath, then roll it in my own seasoned bread crumb mix. The key to a good depression-era city chicken recipe is to make your breadcrumbs from saltine crackers, worked over with a rolling pin. It's best chicken-fried in bacon grease, but Crisco will do. OMG, my mouth is watering just thinking about it!
Onion. Don't forget to put an onion wedge in the grease. That was one of my grandma's secrets.

Old 01-03-2011, 08:03 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,343,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by insightofitall View Post
Avril's is a restaurant where...? (Is it a restaurant?) I mean is it downtown Cincinnati or in a suburb? If I move to Cincinnati, I will have to keep it in mind.

Sorry. Avrils is a butcher shop on East Court Street in downtown. They have a deli next door but I doubt they offer city chicken.

Avrils haas the absolute best home cooked sliced deli turkey I have ever had. This is not a pre packaged Boars Head or similar product. Other offerings are also quite wonderful. And they have 35 different sausages in the meat case every day.

Old 01-04-2011, 09:37 AM

3,763 posts, read 12,487,967 times
Have to agree that City Chicken was all over the rust belt ... growing up in the detroit suburbs (1970's) - city chicken was common in many of my friend's homes, and even in many of the restaurants (diners, greasy spoons, family restaurants).

It was (at least in Detroit in the '70's) veal, on a skewer, and breaded. You can still get it in many of the butcher shops.

We laugh, because now veal is terribly expensive, and who in their right mind would use Veal as a cheaper substitute for chicken??

But, once upon a time, veal was very inexpensive, and the substitution was born.

It was always very tasty, though my own mother made it rarely. We ordered it often at local restaurants (it was always breaded) and enjoyed it at friend's homes.

Didn't know Cincy had the same tradition. Had never heard of it outside Detroit until this. Will have to check it out sometime.

Old 01-04-2011, 10:14 AM

279 posts, read 713,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
Sorry. Avrils is a butcher shop on East Court Street in downtown. They have a deli next door but I doubt they offer city chicken.

Avrils haas the absolute best home cooked sliced deli turkey I have ever had. This is not a pre packaged Boars Head or similar product. Other offerings are also quite wonderful. And they have 35 different sausages in the meat case every day.
Another big thumbs up to Avril's here, Wilson was actually the one who prompted me to go there. Now, it's a regular weekend stop after Findlay Market. The deli turkey is awesome, and the sausages are a huge draw to me. The cheddar one is kinda ridiculous how tasty it is.

Old 06-18-2017, 09:54 PM

17,300 posts, read 13,042,795 times
City chicken was breaded veal, pork or beef on a wooden skewer then pan or deep fried

Old 06-19-2017, 06:59 AM

649 posts, read 808,164 times
My grandfather always told me that city chicken was pigeon when he worked at Findlay market in the twenties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati