Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2011, 08:33 PM

5 posts, read 62,320 times

Advertisements

Next month, I plan on traveling to Cincinnati on Amtrak and I am wondering about taxi service from and to the Union Terminal at 3:30 AM and 1:00 AM respectively. Would the ticket agent be able to call in a taxi or should I bring along a list of phone numbers with me? Are there any taxis waiting outside the station as the train arrives? Are there any Cincinnati cab companies that are better than others? How much of an approximate fare between the Union Terminal and the hotels downtown?

Any information would be greatly appreciated. I am very interested in visiting Cincinnati as I am a fellow proud Midwesterner from Milwaukee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2011, 09:12 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,273,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhudha86 View Post
Next month, I plan on traveling to Cincinnati on Amtrak and I am wondering about taxi service from and to the Union Terminal at 3:30 AM and 1:00 AM respectively. Would the ticket agent be able to call in a taxi or should I bring along a list of phone numbers with me? Are there any taxis waiting outside the station as the train arrives? Are there any Cincinnati cab companies that are better than others? How much of an approximate fare between the Union Terminal and the hotels downtown?

Any information would be greatly appreciated. I am very interested in visiting Cincinnati as I am a fellow proud Midwesterner from Milwaukee.
Personally, I would take Amtrak from Milwaukee to Chicago. Catch the Megabus from Chicago Union Station to Cincinnati where you will be dropped off at 4th and Race in the heart of downtown Cincinnati.

If you take Amtrak, you will end up at Union Terminal which is one of the worst areas of Cincinnati, and area where you'll need to call a taxi. And that is if the train shows up on time which is generally very unlikely based on past experiences.

Should you decide to cab it, plan to spend about $10 with tip. I would get the list of cab companies and call one when the train pulls into the terminal.

Old 01-16-2011, 09:18 PM

2,554 posts, read 6,901,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Personally, I would take Amtrak from Milwaukee to Chicago. Catch the Megabus from Chicago Union Station to Cincinnati where you will be dropped off at 4th and Race in the heart of downtown Cincinnati.

If you take Amtrak, you will end up at Union Terminal which is one of the worst areas of Cincinnati, and area where you'll need to call a taxi. And that is if the train shows up on time which is generally very unlikely based on past experiences.

Should you decide to cab it, plan to spend about $10 with tip. I would get the list of cab companies and call one when the train pulls into the terminal.
Curious, are you from Milwaukee?

Old 01-17-2011, 12:25 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,273,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler87 View Post
Curious, are you from Milwaukee?
No, but I live close enough to Milwaukee to use the Amtrak facility in Milwaukee or Gen. Mitchell airport as an alternative to Chicago-Midway or Union Station-Chicago.

Lately, the cheaper airfares are out of MKE and the parking in MKE is $5/day as opposed to $16 O'Hare or $10 Midway. For a 1-2 week trip, it makes a difference.

Old 01-17-2011, 01:19 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,795,375 times
Hopefully at least a late night arrival at Union Terminal will not be too scarcy. At the times of night you are relating it is probably very desolute. I would be armed with taxi cab company numbers to call immediately on arrival. As previously commented, about $10 to downtown hotels. But I would not expect taxis to be parked and waiting for that one train that time of night - they would starve. Here's hoping you will like your visit.

Old 01-20-2011, 07:55 AM

13 posts, read 82,995 times
There are taxi's waiting on arrival. If not the security office near the front doors will call for you. No big deal.

Old 01-20-2011, 09:51 AM

405 posts, read 891,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhudha86 View Post

I have taken the train from Cincinnati multiple times. There have always been taxis there both at the 1 am and 3 am times.
There is a public safety office there 24 hours a day and they have closed circuit TVs etc. I do not think it is a dangerous location. There aren't people "hanging out" or much crime right in the station as far as I know.

Old 01-20-2011, 09:53 AM

405 posts, read 891,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
Hopefully at least a late night arrival at Union Terminal will not be too scarcy. At the times of night you are relating it is probably very desolute. .. But I would not expect taxis to be parked and waiting for that one train that time of night - they would starve. Here's hoping you will like your visit.
Its surprisingly busy and active. Probably because there are only two trains that come to Cincinnati, so a lot of people use them, even though its the middle of the night. (One train 4 mights a week, 2 trains 3 nights).

And, there are often multiple cabs there when the train arrives. As you say, they must get enough business else they wouldn't waste their time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati