Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 05:40 PM

575 posts, read 1,371,304 times

Advertisements

My favorite form of entertainment is to go to the movies. I compiled a list of Greater Cincinnati theaters. There are many more than what advertise in the Enquirer. I've been to a number of them--those are the ones with the asterisks. If there are any others, could you tell me about them?
Truthfully, since I don't see a lot of action/adventure movies, and don't watch a lot of scifi anymore, I don't need to go to only the super duper hyper viper 3D IMAX digital oversized screens. A comedy or romance or drama works perfectly fine on a smaller screen.

Amelia
Pierce Point Cinema 10, 1255 W. Ohio Pike. First run
Starlite Drive-In, 225 State Route 125. 734-4001. First run, but closed for the season
Starlite Drive-In

Batesville, IN
The Gibson Theatre, 107 N. Main St. (812) 934-3404. First run
The Gibson Theatre: Now Playing
It's half a block from Sherman House, if you ever stay there.

Bethel, OH
Midway Theater, 210 W. Plane St. 7340-2278. First run
Midway Theatre

Brookville, IN
Brookville Theater, 16 W. Fifth St. (765) 647-4421. First run
Another downtown small-town theater.

Clifton/Cincinnati
*Esquire Theatre, 320 Ludlow Ave. 281-8750. First run
Esquire Theatre

Dent/Cincinnati
*Rave Motion Pictures, 5870 Harrison Ave. First run
Rave Motion Pictures

Eastgate
*Danbarry Dollar Saver Cinema, 4450 Eastgate Blvd. 947-8111. Second run
DanBarry Cinemas

Fairfield
Danbarry Dollar Saver Cinema, 601 Cincinnati Mills Drive. 671-0537. Second run
DanBarry Cinemas

Florence, KY
Rave Motion Pictures, 7860 Mall Road. 282-6619. First run
Danbarry Dollar Saver Cinema, 7650 Turfway Road. 647-2828. Second run
DanBarry Cinemas

Greendale, IN
*Greendale Cinemas, 1605 Flossie Drive. (812) 532-7469. First run
Greendale Cinema

Hamilton
*AMC Showplace, 1453 Main St. (888) 262-4386. First run
AMC Movie Theatres
Holiday Auto Theatre, 1816 Old Oxford Road. 929-2999. First run, but closed for the season.
Now Showing at the Holiday Auto Theatre

Kenwood/Cincinnati
Kenwood Theater, 7815 Kenwood Road. 984-4488. First run
Kenwood Theatre

Lebanon
Colony Square Cinemas, 726 E. Main St. 932-3456. First run

Madison, IN
Ohio Theatre, 105 E. Main St. (812) 273-4880. First run
Ohio Theatre Madison Indiana
This place also shows old movies periodically.

Mariemont/Cincinnati
*Mariemont Theater, 6906 Wooster Pike. 272-2002. First run
Mariemont Theatre

Mason
Rave Motion Pictures, 5937 Kings Island Drive. 336-0204. First run
Rave Motion Pictures
Regal Deerfield Towne Center, 5500 Deerfield Blvd. 770-0964. First run

Middletown
DanBarry Middletown, 3479 Dixie Hwy., Franklin. (513) 422-7979. First run
DanBarry Cinemas

Milford
*Rave Motion Pictures, 500 Rivers Edge Drive. 248-2169. First run
Rave Motion Pictures

Newport, KY
*AMC Newport on the Levee, 1 Levee Way. (888) 262-4386. First run
AMC Newport 20 Theatres At Newport On The Levee
I know this is the most popular movie theater in town, but the prices are outrageous for films, food and parking. It costs two to three times as much at this place than it does to the smaller first-runs outside Cincinnati.

Osgood, IN
Damm Theatre, 117 N. Buckeye St. (812) 689-3266. First run
Damm Theatre Osgood Indiana
Yes, that is its name! I love it!

Oxford, OH
Great Escape Princess, 10 N. Beech St. (513) 523-2188. First run
Theater | .: Great Escape Theatres :. (http://www.greatescapetheatres.com/Theater.html?zip=&theaterid=8&theaterstate=0 - broken link)

Sayler Park/Cincinnati
*Parkland Theatre, 6550 Parkland Ave. 600-7800. Third run
Parkland Theatre - Cincinnati Ohio, Movies, Live Entertainment, family events, birthdays
The owner also periodically shows Catholic-themed contemporary religious movies, but they're not the same as the contemporary Christian films such as the Left Behind movies.

Springdale
*Showcase Cinemas, 12064 Springfield Pike. (800) 315-4000. First run
National Amusements - Showtimes

Versailles, IN
Bel-Air Drive-In, 337 N. US 421. (812) 689-5525. First run, but closed for the season.

West Chester
Rave Motion Pictures, 9415 Civic Center Blvd. 463-2324. First run
Rave Motion Pictures

Westwood/Cincinnati
*Danbarry Dollar Saver Cinema, 5190 Glencrossing Way. Second run
DanBarry Cinemas

Wilder, KY
Great Escape 14, 103 Crossing Drive. 442-0000. First run
Theater | .: Great Escape Theatres :. (http://www.greatescapetheatres.com/Theater.html?theaterid=11&Submit=Get+Contact+Info - broken link)

The Walnut in Lawrenceburg was converted into a concert hall, but has since then closed for good. It had the distinction of being one of the few remaining downtown single-screen theaters in the US.
The Hamilton 10 Theater on Washington Boulevard has closed for good. I liked going there. It was often the last place to have first-run movies still running, after they had left Rave/Showplace and before the movies went into second run.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2011, 08:17 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,797,022 times
It's nice to see someone still goes to the movies. The last time I was in a theatre was 2 years ago when I went to Lawton Oklahoma and took the 2 grandkids there while momma was in the hospital having the third.I have no idea what we saw other than it passed time after we went to McDonald's playland.

Old 02-01-2011, 08:45 PM

577 posts, read 1,280,657 times
Good to see that there are still a few drive-in theaters in business. I'll have to check one out this summer. Do you have any recommendations? Isn't there a drive-in that shows some of the older classics?

Old 02-01-2011, 08:46 PM

4,888 posts, read 13,831,089 times
I still go to the movies pretty regularly. Even when the cinema isn't full (for the collective experience) it beats vegging in front of the tube at home. And now the second-run theaters in my area are starting to bring in new releases as a "marquee attraction" too - no month-or-so-long wait for the ticket price to drop.
Back in da Nati, I hear that the former Covedale Cinema on Glenway (perhaps "twinned" or otherwise divided at some point) has been rejuvenated as a venue for stage shows. They may still have a big screen for the occasional film showing as well.

Old 02-02-2011, 05:40 AM

Default covedale

Covedale is strictly for stage performances. The movie screen is long gone.
I had season tickets for two years for the plays. The plays aren't all G-rated and pleasant, surprisingly, such as "Cuckoo's Nest" and "Tuesdays with Morrie." The costumes are also getting more and more elaborate.
We didn't buy season tickets this year because we just didn't have the money.

Old 02-02-2011, 05:35 PM

1,130 posts, read 2,542,768 times
We desperately wanted to go to the Oakley Drive In many times before it closed, but it was obvious by the movies they were selecting over the last few years they were in business that they weren't interested in our demographic.

Old 02-03-2011, 07:25 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,797,022 times
Ahh the Oakley Drive-In, great memories. Back in 1962, graduated UC, got a job, and got married. Needed a car, as the one I drove to UC you could see the street through the rusted out floorboards. Bought a new 1962 Dodge Dart, the one with the slant-six engine. Talk about stripped down, didn't even have a radio. Wham, Bamm, in less than two years we had two kids. I built a collapsible wooden platform for the back of the Dodge to cover the space between the back of the front seat and give a level support over the rear seat. Of course back then there was none of this Daylight Savings Bull****. We spent many a Friday or Saturday night at the Oakley Drive-In. Of course we had our own Coca-Cola cooler in the trunk. But we would actually purchase burgers, fries, etc from the concession stand. They were smart enough to realize a decent product made more money, or people would just smuggle it in.

Back then, they would have triple-features, or actually guadruple-features. Finally, get the kids to settle down on their makeshift beds in the back seat and fall asleep. Then just watch the movies (already had two kids). Daylight Savings killed the drive-in. Too bad - was a great entertainment outlet for many a young couple in years past.

Old 02-03-2011, 04:26 PM

577 posts, read 1,280,657 times
Drive-in memories. I used to frequent the Colonial Drive-In which was between Ross and Hamilton. When I was a kid I remember seeing Smokey and the Bandit there and Popeye (with Robin Williams). I could not tell you what movies I saw there when I got older because the main purpose of going was to take a case of beer and just get drunk.

Old 02-03-2011, 04:49 PM

1,130 posts, read 2,542,768 times
Our big hang outs in the days of the drive in were the Jolly Roger in Sharonville and the Mt. Healthy. Saw Animal House and Jaws at the Mt. Healthy. In the '70s and '80s they were still showing advertising slides for the '58 Fairlane and other crome plated land yachts between movies!

We'd also go to the Acme on occasion, and I remember dragging my dad all the way out to the Academy once to see Godzilla vs Megalon! That place served the biggest popcorn I have ever seen in my life. At least twice the size of your average kernal.

I even remember the day the Montgomery Drive In burned down. My mom and I had just finished lunch or something at the Frisch's on Montgomery Rd and just happened to be driving by.

We went to the Twin and the Dent a couple of times, too, but it must have been for some particular movie, because those weren't very close to us. Was it the Dent or the Ferguson that had a view of downtown looking east?

I never made it to the Woodlawn Drive In, but that's one my dad still fondly talks about where he saw Psycho, which scared the crapp out of him at the time.

Old 02-03-2011, 04:59 PM

Default first movie

The first movie I saw in a theater was "Mary Poppins." My grandmother took me downtown on the bus in 1965 the day after Easter. I was 4 years old, and I wore my Easter outfit from the day before--navy coat, short white gloves, and a little white straw hat and matching purse. For several years afterward I called it my Mary Poppins outfit. But I don't remember which theater it was.
I think the last movie I saw at a downtown theater must have been "Endless Summer 2" at The Movies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati