Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 09:09 AM

13 posts, read 22,840 times

Advertisements

I dont watch the show, but it looks like they decided to use 'newer' Cincinnati stock footage that includes the stadium.

Harry’s Law Finally Updates Cincinnati Scenes | TV and Media Blog
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2011, 04:29 AM

4,241 posts, read 7,175,680 times
WKRP, interestingly enough, had a Dayton connection as two of the leads, Gary Sandy and Gordon Jump where either from Dayton or had connections to the place. I think that is why Dayton was sometimes worked into the material (and they had the nerdish weatherman character being from Dayton).

Probably one of the worst (or best) examples of a show purportedly being set in one place but filmed in another was that campy/corny 1970s horror/cop show "The Night Stalker", supposed to be Chicago, but exteriors filmed on-location in LA.

Anyway, for good use of Cincy locations (but not naming the place) , there was John Sayles' "City of Hope", filmed in OTR and downtown. Interestingly that movie was supposed to be set on the East Coast and it makes you realize how Cincy can sometimes seem like one of the larger east coast cities like, say, Baltimore or Philly

Old 02-09-2011, 05:45 PM

170 posts, read 496,166 times
I normally don't watch much American television. I can't find anything worthwile anymore(other than the cable news outlets;sometimes). I happened to be tv surfing the night Harry's Law premiered. When I saw Cathy Bates I was hooked. I'll watch her in just about anything.
I like the show. I think it's clever&touching at times. CB is fantastic. Having the show based in Cincy was the icing on my cake. I grew up in Dayton&Cincinnati. My heart will always be with Cincy. Monday night's show was a real treat as I got to see Fountain Square and other things I haven't seen in years. I also got to see shots of things that have gone up since I've been gone.
Having said all that I(someone who haven't lived in the area for over 20 yrs)could tell it's a show based in Cincinnati in name only lol. That's all right with me though because for an hour each Monday I can come home.
I hope the show does well&has many seasons to come.

Old 02-23-2011, 09:50 AM

74 posts, read 189,020 times
So has it been determined as to what neighborhood her office is 'supposed' to be in? I think someone here said OTR, and in this week's episode I saw a sign that said Oakley, in one of the exterior stock footage shots. We enjoys the show since we are moving to Cinci next month!

Old 02-23-2011, 10:19 AM

2,491 posts, read 4,468,906 times
It takes place in a neighborhood that is supposed to be OTR. The Oakley Square shot, which I saw too, was just part of the random shots from around the city that give it its Cincinnati vibe. They're using plenty of Fountain Square and Paul Brown Stadium shots and shots of the Brent Spence Bridge and the Suspension Bridge. I've also noticed shots of that fountain in Covington (forget what it is) and City Hall.

Old 02-23-2011, 10:25 AM

575 posts, read 1,371,304 times
Default where it takes place

The two minor details about "Harry's Law" that have bothered me aren't the same ones as everyone else's. Rather, it's the amount of people on the street, and the amount of business in the area. When I've been to Over-the-Rhine, it's just not that busy, except for around Findlay Market. Admittedly, I've not been in OTR at night for years, just during the day. I haven't been through Avondale or Evanston or the West End for a very long time, so are they "busier"? The only other location comparable to what Harry's neighborhood looks like that I can think of is Eighth and State in Lower Price Hill.

Old 02-23-2011, 10:33 AM

5,981 posts, read 13,121,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abr7rmj View Post
It takes place in a neighborhood that is supposed to be OTR. The Oakley Square shot, which I saw too, was just part of the random shots from around the city that give it its Cincinnati vibe. They're using plenty of Fountain Square and Paul Brown Stadium shots and shots of the Brent Spence Bridge and the Suspension Bridge. I've also noticed shots of that fountain in Covington (forget what it is) and City Hall.
The few times I saw it, they also shoot the Proctor and Gamble headquarter building too.

Old 02-23-2011, 10:37 AM

5,981 posts, read 13,121,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skippercollector View Post
The two minor details about "Harry's Law" that have bothered me aren't the same ones as everyone else's. Rather, it's the amount of people on the street, and the amount of business in the area. When I've been to Over-the-Rhine, it's just not that busy, except for around Findlay Market. Admittedly, I've not been in OTR at night for years, just during the day. I haven't been through Avondale or Evanston or the West End for a very long time, so are they "busier"? The only other location comparable to what Harry's neighborhood looks like that I can think of is Eighth and State in Lower Price Hill.
I'm going to Cincy for the first time next month, and I'm looking forward to checking the revitalized portion of OTR where the music hall/memorial hall area east through the main street area. It looks so neat. From street view, it looks like the revitalization worked. It appears rehabbed and vibrant.

The architecture there makes it one of the most unique urban neighborhoods in the midwest. Not even Chicago has anything that is urban in the way OTR is. It has been compared to the architecture of Greenwich Village in Manhattan. And you can go five miles to the north and hike through wooded ravines and bluffs. I'm looking forward to checking it out.

Old 02-23-2011, 12:14 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,472,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
I'm going to Cincy for the first time next month, and I'm looking forward to checking the revitalized portion of OTR where the music hall/memorial hall area east through the main street area. It looks so neat. From street view, it looks like the revitalization worked. It appears rehabbed and vibrant.

The architecture there makes it one of the most unique urban neighborhoods in the midwest. Not even Chicago has anything that is urban in the way OTR is. It has been compared to the architecture of Greenwich Village in Manhattan. And you can go five miles to the north and hike through wooded ravines and bluffs. I'm looking forward to checking it out.
I would add to your tour of OTR architecture a trip over the following streets very near the area you are already visiting:

1300-1500 Broadway
Orchard St.
Milton
Boal
also see the un-renovated area of 200-500 East 13th St.

Old 02-23-2011, 04:02 PM

2,491 posts, read 4,468,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skippercollector View Post
Well, first, it is Hollywood. But I can definitely see Vine Street in OTR between Central Parkway and Liberty Street resembling some of those HL street scenes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati