Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2011, 03:28 PM

2 posts, read 10,576 times

Advertisements

What flowers typically bloom in the Cincinnati area from mid-May to early June? I'm especially interested in those varieties that would have been commonly found in the area in the early 1900's. Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2011, 03:59 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,790,065 times
Now this could get to be a long list. Let me start with some.
Poppies
Iris
Tulips, mostly earlier
Daffodils
Peonies
Narcissus
Day Lillies

Last edited by kjbrill; 02-04-2011 at 04:00 PM.. Reason: added content

Old 02-05-2011, 07:20 AM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Most summer-blooming perennials (blanketflower, daisies, tickseed, coneflowers, etc.) are out by Memorial Day.

Peonies are everywhere around that time, as are antique and once-blooming roses (go to Ault Park for a stunning display of old roses!). Most spring bulbs are done, although some later bulbs like allium may still be blooming.

Old 02-06-2011, 07:20 AM

1,055 posts, read 4,134,334 times
a lot of perennials really dont take off in cincinnati until the heat of summer kicks in. I have an old home and i love my knockout roses for early color as well as peonies. I also have a lot of flowering trees and shrubs. I have a large mixture of coneflowers, phlox, blackeyed susan, daisies, bee balm, daylilies, etc...my photos i went through showed a few with blooms but nothing like what it looks like in Mid June. I also plant my annuals as fillers in early may (i try to follow the mothers day rule but usually break it)..they give instant color all season. I spend a lot of time in my garden--most of it i learned on my own, but there are a lot of wonderful books out there too. Hope you enjoy!

Old 02-06-2011, 07:41 AM

4,888 posts, read 13,824,184 times
You can probably pick up a wealth of knowledge by talking to people at (or visiting the Websites of) Spring Grove Cemetery, the Historical Society, Krohn Conservatory, the Civic Garden Center, or the Cincinnati Zoo and Botanical Garden.

Old 02-06-2011, 08:29 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,790,065 times
Springtime in Cincy is spectacular. In addition to the spring bulbs and other flowers there are the flowering trees and shrubs. Red buds, forsytha, dogwood, tulip trees, magnolia tree, these are all favorites of mine as I have at least one in my yard.

It is after spring when I get despondent, as the flowering decreases. The coneflowers, daisies, etc. help to fill the bill, but the arid summer rapidly makes them appear decrepit.

I have some hybrid Iris which are spectacular. A midnight shade, virtually black. A bright lemon yellow shade, and a very bright peach. Then a very unusual pure white which is distinctive because it blooms twice a year, one in the spring and again in the fall. When I look out and see that Iris blooming in the fall, I am flabbergasted.

I won't even get into our hybrid day lilly collection. It varies from the old fashioned tiger lilly found wild in Ohio and planted along our fence lines, to the hybrids with a color variation close to the hybrid Iris. I love spring flowers but keep trying to find something through the summer to keep my spirits up.

Old 02-06-2011, 07:31 PM

2 posts, read 10,576 times
Default Thank You

Thank you so much for such fabulous answers! I really appreciate your help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
View detailed profiles of: