U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 06:54 PM

17 posts, read 25,688 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. I currently live in Louisville and will be moving to Cincinnati in ~2 months.

I am looking for a great neighborhood/area to live in. i am a married professional with a little one on the way! Here is what I am looking for and thanks for your help in advance!

1.) Short commute (15-25 min tops.-will be working downtown. 5th street)
2.) Newer homes (not interested in the older houses of Hyde Park area)
3.) Price around 200k
4.) Nothing ghetto..
5.) Something that will retain value. (market is a mess right now)

Basically, I want suburb style houses close to downtown at a good price. I'm hard to please

THANKS!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2011, 08:22 PM

120 posts, read 215,019 times
Hmmmm, try something in the Colerain Township West areas near I-74 and Harrison Ave/Rybolt Rd Exit. There are quite a few new construction neighborhoods off Harrison Avenue.
Hunters Ridge
Stone Ridge Estates
to name just a couple

Old 02-09-2011, 10:48 PM

118 posts, read 207,522 times
Suburbs sound like they fit your bill.

Old 02-10-2011, 05:51 AM

3,335 posts, read 5,729,880 times
rockford woods in northside is a development of new suburban style houses but in the city. look up hassman court on the realtors' websites to find it.

there are some other new construction opportunities within the city as well including several townhomes in the columbia tusculum area, but i don't have a good sense of what type of neighborhood you are looking for.

Old 02-10-2011, 06:27 AM

10,139 posts, read 22,424,007 times
Well, you don't have to worry about Hyde Park with a 200K budget. I think you will find what you are looking for on the West Side as Sandesene suggests. Don't limit yourself to those three developments, they are just three among many.

Old 02-10-2011, 07:01 AM

2,886 posts, read 3,952,895 times
Short commute and newer homes is a tough combination. You may have to compromise on one or the other.

Old 02-10-2011, 07:24 AM

17 posts, read 25,688 times
Default Thanks!

Thanks for all the input.

Is there anything inside the 275 I should be looking at?

Also, when I say newer, I don't need new development. I just don't want a charming 1940's cape cod...

What about areas like blue ash? What about Madeira?

Mason just seems too far out although maybe I am just horrified to drive that far as I am from Los Angeles and I keep thinking it will take me 2 hours...

Old 02-10-2011, 07:29 AM

3,335 posts, read 5,729,880 times
Madeira is almost entirely charming 1940s cape codes (maybe 1950s) so scratch that one. Blue ash is newer but you'll be looking at 40 minute commutes, Mason will be like an hour. You'll struggle in all three areas in your price range.

Old 02-10-2011, 07:34 AM

2,886 posts, read 3,952,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2thelou View Post
Thanks for all the input.

Is there anything inside the 275 I should be looking at?

Also, when I say newer, I don't need new development. I just don't want a charming 1940's cape cod...

What about areas like blue ash? What about Madeira?

Mason just seems too far out although maybe I am just horrified to drive that far as I am from Los Angeles and I keep thinking it will take me 2 hours...
What progmac just said. And actually I doubt if you can get to downtown within your time frame from anywhere outside the 275 loop.

Old 02-10-2011, 08:25 AM

9,259 posts, read 13,367,556 times
Inside of 275 has little constructed in the last 30 years, at least on the east side. There are some exceptions, but due to property costs they will be isolated pockets and tending to the larger, more expensive homes.

Madeira basically built out in the 50s and 60s. A whole lot of 40s cape cods, and a number of 50s ranches, some on quite nice lots. As land values went up, two-stories on small lots filled it out. A nice town with good schools, but newer - NO. I grew up there and feel qualified to comment. My parents lived in their oversized 40s cape cod over 50 years, as they were both fortunate to live well into their 90s. Finally sold Mom's house there about 5 years ago for 20.2 times what it cost to build. This should be no surprise to anyone in real estate.

Live in Mason and work on 5th Street? Only if you are a sadist. My profile identifies I live in Mason, over 35 years now, moved here from Madeira. My employer was in Norwood, Ohio. 30+ years ago I could get from Mason to Norwood in an easy 20 minutes. Once you passed I-275 coming North you barely saw another car. As the entire area exploded with residences the highway conjestion made it more and more of a mental case. I was extremely fortunate as my employer moved from Norwood to Mason, less than 1 mile from my house. Talk about being overjoyed, I was ecstatic. I had about 20 years where on a good day I could have easily bicycled to work.

As several of you know, I will defend Mason as a great place to live. But everything is relative. You need to balance the cost, commute, and everything else which will affect your daily lives. The best place is the one which will let you live out your dreams. I have been reasonably successful with mine, so I hope success with yours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or